• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

100th Volta Ciclista a Catalunya (2.UWT) // 23rd - 29th of March 2020

catalunyamvkvx.png

Assuming this race will gain interest after the Corona related cancelled races, here is the 1st "100th Volta Ciclista a Catalunya" thread!

PROFILES:
Stage profiles pulled from the youtube previews. PCS still doesn't have any profiles and the ones on the official website are even worse quality.

catalunyaprofilesb4jhx.png

INTERESTING CONTENDERS (SO FAR AND SAVE CANCELLATIONS):
Bernal, Quintana, Valverde, A. Yates, Dumoulin, Froome, Evenepoel, van der Poel, Schachmann, Pinot, Lopez, Porte, Vlasov, Costa, Carthy, De Gendt, Kämna, Kuss, Kruijswijk, Henao, Bagioli, Van Wilder, Ciccone, Vanhoucke, Tejada, Soler, Zakarin, Roche, Latour, Bennett, D. Martin, Hänninen, Majka, Roche...

TRIVIA:
First appearance for Tom Dumoulin since the 2019 Dauphiné.
Lopez amazed friend and foe in the Algarve ITT, can he do the same again in Catalunya?
Even though not half the line-up is complete, the race is already stacked with top riders.
Considering Corona related circumstances, the line-up is destined to change a lot still (both ways).

TOP 15 LAST YEAR:

Last edited:
Could end up the most star studded field of the entire season for a stage race.

Given the calendar could change at short notice riders may as well push hard in any race that actually takes place as that more prestigious target they are building for could disappear anyway.

So far I'm not sure the teams are worrying about their riders getting ill so much as about getting quarantined and so risking their more important goals of the season. (Hence, more GC orientated teams are more inclined to withdraw than the classics quads.) But eventually, they will have to send their riders somewhere to get some racing into their legs?

Reactions: search and yaco
Correct. If he can gain 4 to 5 minutes in the ITT he should be fine for the win. :grin:
I wouldn't expect him to win it tbh. Then again, i said the same about Algarve. Only San Juan was obvious he'd win without accidents. Lefevre has also hinted leading up to Tirreno Adriatico (which got cancelled), that he doesn't have to (try and) win every race he enters. Whether or not that means he will still try to win this, or rather if he'd pick his stages and forget GC, i don't know. He was bound to lose 1 more KG by now, so we'll see what difference that makes compared to Algarve, and how others have improved since then.

I was being a bit sarcastic with my last comment. I think Remco will get his ar$e kicked in the high mountains. No matter his gain in the ITT, he ain't gonna win this race. I've a feeling that INEOS are gonna go nuclear in this race to win it for Nico. This race is for a GC team and DQS will come up short. Just my opinion.

I was being a bit sarcastic with my last comment. I think Remco will get his ar$e kicked in the high mountains. No matter his gain in the ITT, he ain't gonna win this race. I've a feeling that INEOS are gonna go nuclear in this race to win it for Nico. This race is for a GC team and DQS will come up short. Just my opinion.
I think you underestimate him if you think he’s going to get his “arse kicked”. He’ll probably lose some seconds on a couple of mountain stages, but he's not losing minutes IMO. I think he’ll compete for the win.

That was quite clear, that it was sarcastic, don't worry. It will be interesting for sure. It's what we all want to find out, how he fares in the mountains. It would also depend on your definition of "arse kicked". He's got an enormous engine and he should weigh 59kg now.

TRENDING THREADS