• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

106th Scheldeprijs (1.HC) 04/04/2018

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In the absence of other live coverage, I am looking at the mainly Dutch twitter comments on #scheldeprijs, but although there are many cognates, I rely on google translate.

I have enjoyed such translations as Sandy Marry and David Stream (Casar and Arroyo) as much as anyone, and am not above referring to an certain Italian opera composer as Joe Green, but Moreno Halle (Hofland), Dylan Gander (Groenewegen) and Radhakrishnan (Rickaert) surely can't be valid traslations to English terms (not least because 2 of the 3 are not English words).

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Jungle Cycle said:
Rob Hatch;
"Hearing from the race reporter that about 30 riders will be thrown off the race for jumping the level crossing. French champion Arnaud Démare among those."
Demare just can't help cheating huh.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

El Pistolero said:
Jungle Cycle said:
Rob Hatch;
"Hearing from the race reporter that about 30 riders will be thrown off the race for jumping the level crossing. French champion Arnaud Démare among those."

I just get an image of Demare holding onto the back of a high speed rail line.

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

therhodeo said:
El Pistolero said:
Jungle Cycle said:
Rob Hatch;

I just get an image of Demare holding onto the back of a high speed rail line.

Didn't he do something similar in P-R a few years ago when he banged his head on the train crossing barrier?

They just showed it on Eurosport player. The Demare group was 5-10 seconds behind the front group (echelons). The first half of the Demare group went through as the lights were on red and the barriers starting to come down, The second half got stopped by the barriers

Not sure why they need to use a route with a level crossing that has the possibility of closing as the race passes. Surely it wouldn't be too hard to work these things out and avoid them. At the very least it's pretty dangerous expecting a reasonably sized group of riders to suddenly come to a complete stop from 50km/h when the race is on just because some red lights are flashing.

Re:

DFA123 said:
Not sure why they need to use a route with a level crossing that has the possibility of closing as the race passes. Surely it wouldn't be too hard to work these things out and avoid them. At the very least it's pretty dangerous expecting a reasonably sized group of riders to suddenly come to a complete stop from 50km/h when the race is on just because some red lights are flashing.
I am sure they do not create routes with too many level crossings on purpose. But sometimes it is just inevitable and with trains passing more often than once per hour there is no way you can time it right.

But the other point you made is a real problem. In a race, riders simply ignore traffic lights or signs. UCI can not expect riders to notice specifically only lights before level crossings. Of course when barriers are down, they should notice that. So the only solution is that before each crossing there is a marshall responsible for stopping the peloton if red lights start flashing. It can not be left up to the riders to be responsible for noticing that.

TRENDING THREADS