• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

11 anti-doping controls in 19 stages

That American guy, whatshisname, just twittered this.
I wonder how many the 2 guys ahead of him in the GC got? He didn't even win a stage, so he got "lucky" for each of those.

Anywhere we can track that?

Michael Boogerd said on television that in all of his career (and he won quite a few notable races) he got tested like 30-35 times I think it was. Lance gets tested more when he just announce a come-back.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
I wonder how many the 2 guys ahead of him in the GC got? He didn't even win a stage, so he got "lucky" for each of those.

Michael Boogerd said on television that in all of his career (and he won quite a few notable races) he got tested like 30-35 times I think it was. Lance gets tested more when he just announce a come-back.

's that the same guy who lets the vampires wait an hour and drink coffee?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The official guidelines state riders are selected for extra testing beyond the random testing, if their blood values from previous tests show abnormalities that warrant suspicion of use of performance enhancers.

So if he's being tested that much......

1+1=?

*cue random Lance fanboy yelling the metaphorical 3*

Cloxxki said:

Do you know how the Bio Passport works? Or have a basic idea?

Do you know what a Targeted rider is?

Oh, they didn't get to test him much since the introduction of the biological passport. But, before that, they had plenty of chances. I believe they didn't even wait for him to announce his comeback?
It's his part, an outspoken American (Texan even) thinkin git's OK to disgrace the French nation, 7 times in a row, and not being very modest about it, sure you'll get tested a lot.
Dope or no dope, a genetical exception such as LAnce will be hard to be in any human powered speed sport. The guy's a set of lungs and muscle, and genetically unable to experience pain the way most of his competitors do.

It speaks for him to applaud the tests though, and even Hein Verbruggen stated that in hard times, Lance pulled his wallet to make new EPO testing machines possible. If you have the money, and want clean competition, it makes sence. Let the best guy win, that would be my motto if I were him.

Interesting to see him NOT win. More interesting to see anyone podium when having your own big-buck charity, setting up a cycling team, running 2 families, writing some books, etc. I'd like to do those things (one family max though) and not have to worry about getting fit.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
The official guidelines state riders are selected for extra testing beyond the random testing, if their blood values from previous tests show abnormalities that warrant suspicion of use of performance enhancers.

So if he's being tested that much......

1+1=?

*cue random Lance fanboy yelling the metaphorical 3*

1+1=1999, right?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
Oh, they didn't get to test him much since the introduction of the biological passport. But, before that, they had plenty of chances. I believe they didn't even wait for him to announce his comeback?
It's his part, an outspoken American (Texan even) thinkin git's OK to disgrace the French nation, 7 times in a row, and not being very modest about it, sure you'll get tested a lot.
Dope or no dope, a genetical exception such as LAnce will be hard to be in any human powered speed sport. The guy's a set of lungs and muscle, and genetically unable to experience pain the way most of his competitors do.

It speaks for him to applaud the tests though, and even Hein Verbruggen stated that in hard times, Lance pulled his wallet to make new EPO testing machines possible. If you have the money, and want clean competition, it makes sence. Let the best guy win, that would be my motto if I were him.

Interesting to see him NOT win. More interesting to see anyone podium when having your own big-buck charity, setting up a cycling team, running 2 families, writing some books, etc. I'd like to do those things (one family max though) and not have to worry about getting fit.

Firstly - when he announced his comeback he was officially meant to be part of the Bio-Passport for 6 months before starting his first race.
The UCI - who are an International organisation based in Switzerland - waved the 6 months so as Armstrong could participate in Tour Down Under.

That is indeed the same UCI that Lance generously helped with a donation as you correctly pointed out.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Armstrong is a targeted rider. There are 50 of them according the UCI. So what? At worst, it is an inconvenience for Armstrong. At best, it gives him more ammunition to claim innocence.

One poster also compared the number of Armstrong's tests to Boogie in another thread, but this is an unfair comparison. Boogie raced before the biological passport and was not a rider of the same calibre as Armstrong, both very good reasons for many less tests than Armstrong.

Finally, Cloxxi, Armstrong's donation to the UCI was a huge conflict of interest and the UCI should have never accepted this money. No wonder there are conspiracy theories.

Cloxxki said:
That's a flagrant "Conflict of Interest".

I would be fired from my Company immediately if I was accepting money from my clients for whatever reason that is not specified in the contract.

I suppose LA is paying for the conflict of interest. Not a hint of doubt that especially the French labs are paying attention now. We can trust them to bring LA down is there is the slightest doubt as defined in regulations.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
I suppose LA is paying for the conflict of interest. Not a hint of doubt that especially the French labs are paying attention now. We can trust them to bring LA down is there is the slightest doubt as defined in regulations.

The labs have absolutely no idea whose samples they're testing. They get the samples with serial numbers and papers saying "Sample AS734HG is to be tested for EPO and corticosteroids. Sample 94ASK73 is to be tested for synactin." etc etc etc. They test them and return the results.

They have absolutely no idea whatsoever if they're testing the sample of a big name from cycling or an anonymous badminton player from ****stan.

EDIT: (brilliant. the name of an actual country is filtered out as smut :p)

As for the "slightest doubt as defined in regulations", it's quite the contrary. The criteria for a positive test is so absurdly high, precisely to eliminate all possible doubt, that the labs are constantly being criticised by experts for letting large numbers of positive samples slip by as "negative".

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:

Idiot, they could have bring him down for the showergate!

Do you know that samples are anonymous? How would the french lab pays attention to Lance samples? There is just one idiot who is always complaining about the french to serve his own interest, that is liar Lance!
Did he not say that he would be in danger in France?
He just use your xenophobia and your lack of knowledge at his own and dishonnest interest.

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
It speaks for him to applaud the tests though, and even Hein Verbruggen stated that in hard times, Lance pulled his wallet to make new EPO testing machines possible.

You really believe that?

The "Donation" came shortly after the UCI allowed Armstrong to use a backdated TUE to when he tested positive for Cortisone. They kept fairly quite for years until two of the board members of the UCI found out and said they were going called them out for the obvious conflict of interest. Before they could go to the press Armstrong and the UCI beat them too it and pretended it was a recent "Donation", even though it had happened year before and was not a donation but a payoff.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Eva Maria said:
You really believe that?

The "Donation" came shortly after the UCI allowed Armstrong to use a backdated TUE to when he tested positive for Cortisone. They kept fairly quite for years until two of the board members of the UCI found out and said they were going called them out for the obvious conflict of interest. Before they could go to the press Armstrong and the UCI beat them too it and pretended it was a recent "Donation", even though it had happened year before and was not a donation but a payoff.

In Armstrong's defense, he actually preferred this "donation" to remain anonymous. Verbruggen let the cat out of the bag.

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
In Armstrong's defense, he actually preferred this "donation" to remain anonymous. Verbruggen let the cat out of the bag.

No, that is not true. Silva Scheck, a UCI board member, was about to go public to expose what most saw as a huge conflict of interest. Verdruggen launch a preemptive media strike and pretended the pay off was a recent one, instead of year old.

TRENDING THREADS