• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

11 speed chain recommendations?

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
For 6800 Shimano. Not willing to pay loads, but equally don't want a pile of 5h1te. Like Wippermann but they are pricey.

What have people had success with? And where have you found them cheapest (uk)?

kwikki said:
For 6800 Shimano. Not willing to pay loads, but equally don't want a pile of 5h1te. Like Wippermann but they are pricey.

IMO, Shimano chains with Shimano rings/cogs is the best set up. I always buy from my LBS so I can't help you with price comparisons.

jmdirt said:
kwikki said:

IMO, Shimano chains with Shimano rings/cogs is the best set up. I always buy from my LBS so I can't help you with price comparisons.

Yup!!
Shimano chains on Shimano Drive Trains - it's designed / engineered to work as one complete unit.

I just grab one off the shelf at work :D

Online options for you...around 16 pounds seems pretty good!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nz/en/shimano-ultegra-6800-xt-m8000-hg701-11sp-chain/rp-prod119827

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-ultegra-6800-xt-m8000-11-speed-chain/

Reactions: guojianbin
Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Shimano it is then. The only issue with them is they wear out quite fast, or at least the one on my 11 speed bike has, but it is my first 11sp chain. Wippermann last for ages and I used to be able go get 'mavic' branded Wippermann 10 for £12.

To be honest, the more sprockets at the back, the thinner the chains and the faster they wear so I'll just buy a stack of them in when PX are having a sale.

Thanks for the advice guys

kwikki said:

Least expensive compatible chain and cogset-they are consumables. 5800 chain and cogs for 11s. Wipperman are VERY durable but seem to wear cogs quickly(plus expensive). Another great choice is KMC.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Thanks.

I've always wondered about kmc. I managed to destroy one once on one particularly wet and crappy 200k ride. Use them on the fixed though and they last for ages.

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
I am running 2015 campag record 11 spd but due to the difficult to live with Campag joining pin I am not running the chain (I know I am a heathen). I am running a KMC 11L and I have to admit is ti s a nice running chain. Runs very smooth with less noise than the Campag record 11 and the joining link is easier to live with. I am not sure about the longevity of it as it has only been on about 600km so far but I will see how it goes and let you know.

Re:

Lynton said:
I am running 2015 campag record 11 spd but due to the difficult to live with Campag joining pin I am not running the chain (I know I am a heathen). I am running a KMC 11L and I have to admit is ti s a nice running chain. Runs very smooth with less noise than the Campag record 11 and the joining link is easier to live with. I am not sure about the longevity of it as it has only been on about 600km so far but I will see how it goes and let you know.

Same here. Didn't want the Campag futzing, so went KMC. Very impressed so far. I like not having to worry if I joined it properly. The KMC joining link is fairly idiot-proof.

kwikki said:

Least expensive compatible chain..they, like cogsets, are consumables.

5800/6800, KMC, if you like the snaplink, KMC. I think Wipperman tend to shift poorly and wear cogsets out.

Buy a card of KMC snaplinks, then use the 5800 one.

Re:

Lynton said:

Run the Campag chain with the KMC snaplink. Been doing that for 2 years on my Merckx with 11s EPS..clean the chain about once a month, replace about every 4-5...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Lynton said:

I too have problems with campy's pin. I still use campy chains as they have given me great service, Once I got the pin right I have never had a broken chain but do carry a quick link. I find my chain runs dead silent when using royal purple on my summer bike or padres wet on the rain bike. Record chain for the summer bike and athena for the wet weather bike. A friend just put a whipperman on his record equipped bike and I can hear his chain when he rides next to me. Lets just say I find Campy chains are worth the agro with the pin.

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

Master50 said:
Lynton said:

I too have problems with campy's pin. I still use campy chains as they have given me great service, Once I got the pin right I have never had a broken chain but do carry a quick link. I find my chain runs dead silent when using royal purple on my summer bike or padres wet on the rain bike. Record chain for the summer bike and athena for the wet weather bike. A friend just put a whipperman on his record equipped bike and I can hear his chain when he rides next to me. Lets just say I find Campy chains are worth the agro with the pin.

I may give the campy chain another go next time I am due one if for no other reason than keeping the bike "pure". I find the KMC runs with less noise than the campagnolo record but the derailleur is more fiddly to tune as the KMC is slightly wider the the campagnolo meaning there is *** all clearance between the chain and next cog. I really think 11 speed systems have tolerance that are getting too close and making tuning fiddly, I do not see how any more gears are going to be achievable.

Lynton said:
Master50 said:
Lynton said:

I may give the campy chain another go next time I am due one if for no other reason than keeping the bike "pure". I find the KMC runs with less noise than the campagnolo record but the derailleur is more fiddly to tune as the KMC is slightly wider the the campagnolo meaning there is *** all clearance between the chain and next cog. I really think 11 speed systems have tolerance that are getting too close and making tuning fiddly, I do not see how any more gears are going to be achievable.

Took me a while to get the KMC dialed, too. But it's just brilliant now. Super quiet and shifts great. I won't be going back to Campag.

Lynton said:
Master50 said:
Lynton said:

Wider axle. It makes more room for cogs and rotors, and it makes for a better wheel build.

jmdirt said:
Lynton said:
Master50 said:
Lynton said:

Wider axle. It makes more room for cogs and rotors, and it makes for a better wheel build.

It does that and I'm surprised that with disc and road(in spite of being silly), disc hubs aren't already 135 but they are mostly being superceded by the thru axle 'standards', even tho that's far from 'standard'. Add a disc to the LH side, move the flange in toward the center..better have a wider hub, wider hub flange spacing or the wheel won't last. Doubt that 12s+ is in the future..but I have been wrong before..thought 8s was gonna be max...

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site

Bustedknuckle said:
Lynton said:

Run the Campag chain with the KMC snaplink. Been doing that for 2 years on my Merckx with 11s EPS..clean the chain about once a month, replace about every 4-5...

Same here, I've used the KMC links on Campag 10 and 11 chains with no issues whatsoever.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
kwikki said:

5800/6800, KMC, if you like the snaplink, KMC. I think Wipperman tend to shift poorly and wear cogsets out.

I probably said this up thread, but I just stuck a 105 chain on and used the Shimano pin. It's ages since I've used a Shimano chain. Always avoided them as I had it in the back of my mind that they had a reputation for snapping. Not sure why you suggest using a KMC link though, as the Shimano pins are fuss free, unlike Campag.

Interesting what you say about Wippermann and wear. I think you are correct. I'd always favoured them because the chains last longer but I did manage to wear out chainrings on two bikes. At £80 each for a DA outer ring, in retrospect it was a false economy. I didn't find them to be bad shifting chains though. They do require frequent cleaning and lubing through for some reason.

kwikki said:
Bustedknuckle said:
kwikki said:

I probably said this up thread, but I just stuck a 105 chain on and used the Shimano pin. It's ages since I've used a Shimano chain. Always avoided them as I had it in the back of my mind that they had a reputation for snapping. Not sure why you suggest using a KMC link though, as the Shimano pins are fuss free, unlike Campag.

Interesting what you say about Wippermann and wear. I think you are correct. I'd always favoured them because the chains last longer but I did manage to wear out chainrings on two bikes. At £80 each for a DA outer ring, in retrospect it was a false economy. I didn't find them to be bad shifting chains though. They do require frequent cleaning and lubing through for some reason.

Depends where you live, but the links are great if you need to take the chain off to clean it, transport your bike, store it etc. They're reusable and can be removed with your fingers.

I tend to buy the cheapo SRAM ones. Planet X seems to periodically sell them cheaply so I get a stack. They were £8 each last time, and I bought six. They wear out quite fast but they still work out the most economical. Shifting seems fi e.

TRENDING THREADS