• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

11 speed chainrings: necessary?

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick question/thought, but is campagnolo's fractionally different 11 speed chainrings are integral to a campy 11s group? Seems like to me a ploy to keep users in the "Campagnolo Eco-system" akin to their 110/113 BCD compact cranks.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Parera said:
Just a quick question/thought, but is campagnolo's fractionally different 11 speed chainrings are integral to a campy 11s group? Seems like to me a ploy to keep users in the "Campagnolo Eco-system" akin to their 110/113 BCD compact cranks.

Yes they are. You can run them with 10's but you will have shifting issues. Liquigas found this out the hard way, they had many issues when they were first introduced and could not get the chainrings for the Cannodale cranks

To bad they are so hard to find at a good price as you can used the 10 cranks.

At the least install a chain catcher if you stick with 10

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I run 11 speed chainrings on 10 speed record ultra torque cranks with no problems on my otherwise 11 speed bike. The 11 speed cranks are the same as the 10 speed cranks, its the chainrings that are noticably different. The 11 speed large chainring has a thicker inner section that overhangs the arms to stop the chain getting stuck inbetween the rings.

Parera said:

No. I have had a Record 10s crank on a demo bike with Chorus 11s for a long time w/o any issues whatsoever.

Plus I installed more than a few 11s cranks onto 10s systems w/o any issues, regardless of what Liquidgas did. Maybe they ought to ditch their crappy coda cranks for proper cranks. Or get better wrenches.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
No. I have had a Record 10s crank on a demo bike with Chorus 11s for a long time w/o any issues whatsoever.

Plus I installed more than a few 11s cranks onto 10s systems w/o any issues, regardless of what Liquidgas did. Maybe they ought to ditch their crappy coda cranks for proper cranks. Or get better wrenches.

My reference was to the chain rings themselves. The cranks are the same, the chain rings are not.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I went from 10 to 11 speed and did not change the rings at first, Just the cassette, derrallieur, chain, and brifters. I kept getting chain suck when shifting to the small ring from the large. After changing the big ring only, the chain suck stopped. Now I am running a 10 speed small and 11 speed large ring for a year now with no more issues.

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I got a set TA 11 speed chainrings from Wiggle which I haven'y used yet. I got a new set of 11 speed campag chainrings off ebay for a good price, you just need to keep your eye out.

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Stronglight also do patterned rings, I got a 36 and a 39 for a CT S record chainset and the work fine. I also use 10spd rings on my winter/commuter with 11spd with no issues.

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Just a question, and since it's related I won't start a new thread, what in the end is the real benefit from the Athena -> Chorus -> Record cranks. All Ultra Torque, I know Athena was downgraded to Power Torque in 2011 so I'm talking the 2010 carbon cranks here. Chorus and Athena seem pretty similar, Record has hollow crank arms + ceramic BB bearings. Any input would be helpful.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Parera said:
Just a question, and since it's related I won't start a new thread, what in the end is the real benefit from the Athena -> Chorus -> Record cranks. All Ultra Torque, I know Athena was downgraded to Power Torque in 2011 so I'm talking the 2010 carbon cranks here. Chorus and Athena seem pretty similar, Record has hollow crank arms + ceramic BB bearings. Any input would be helpful.
Like most component groups; The top level groups are mostly lighter I think the maximum life comes cheaper. The low end is features like 3 cog shifting.
It might be argued that super Record cranks are actually less efficient than Record if we consider the lighter Ti axle may flex more than the steel one in Record UT cranks.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Master50 said:
Like most component groups; The top level groups are mostly lighter I think the maximum life comes cheaper. The low end is features like 3 cog shifting.
It might be argued that super Record cranks are actually less efficient than Record if we consider the lighter Ti axle may flex more than the steel one in Record UT cranks.
Athena has carbon wrapped alloy lever blades as well as the Powershift not Ultrashift. If you're going 11S on a budget, Athena with Chorus levers is the way to go, IMO.

Parera said:

SR-hollow arms, ceramic bearings
Record-hollow arms but USB bearings, same CRs
Chorus-foam filed arms, stainless bearings, same CRs
Athena-Chorus arms and bearings, less expensive chainrings.

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
SR-hollow arms, ceramic bearings
Record-hollow arms but USB bearings, same CRs
Chorus-foam filed arms, stainless bearings, same CRs
Athena-Chorus arms and bearings, less expensive chainrings.

Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS