• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

13th Women's Gent-Wevelgem, March 24th, 2024

3670134-74711608-2560-1440.jpg

227.webp

Marlen Reusser is returning to the Flanders Fields to defend her title from last year, but with Wiebes and Kopecky starting alongside her, SD Worx have multiple cards to play in the final. Trek will have their options, too, with Elisa Balsamo, Shirin van Anrooij and Elisa Longo Borghini, who's just returned from Tenerife, where Paolo Slongo followed her training from a "luxurious" Citroën Berlingo. They also have Ellen van Dijk to instigate and close down attacks.

Fem van Empel was supposed to make her 2024 road debut today, but sickness has made her pull out before the start. Hopefully she'll recover before next week's races.
Her rival Puck Pieterse will still be here, and we know she's in a decent form at the moment. Other top 3-10 contenders include Pfeiffer Georgi, Chloé Dygert, Christina Schweinberger, Silvia Persico and Emma Norsgaard among others.

The live broadcast will start after 16:00 CET, and the race will finish about an hour after the men's.

Weather: Strong winds and possible rain.

Start list: https://firstcycling.com/race.php?r=9048&y=2024&k=8

gJrXp89xZ.webp

Gent-Wevelgem-2024-womens-route.png

Former Winners

YearCountryRiderTeam
23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
Great Britain
Lizzie DeignanAA Drink–leontien.nl
23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png
Netherlands
Kirsten WildArgos–Shimano
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
Lauren HallOptum–Kelly Benefit Strategies
Netherlands
Floortje MackaijTeam Liv–Plantur
Netherlands
Chantal BlaakBoels–Dolmans
23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png
Finland
Lotta HenttalaCervélo–Bigla Pro Cycling
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Italy
Marta BastianelliAlé–Cipollini
Netherlands
Kirsten WildWNT–Rotor Pro Cycling
23px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png
Belgium
Jolien D'HooreBoels–Dolmans
Netherlands
Marianne VosTeam Jumbo–Visma
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Italy
Elisa BalsamoTrek–Segafredo
16px-Flag_of_Switzerland_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
Switzerland
Marlen ReusserSD Worx

I'm basically out for most of this, feel Bjørgen is the most likely winner unless it stays too close together allowing a sprint for Balsamo or Wiebes. Reusser is the possible alternative for SD Worx but I don't trust Lotte not to chase her own teammates down if it ends up in that fashion. Brown or Longo Borghini would be a popular alternative, because of how it would mean the race panned out, but seems unlikely to me.

Okay, so she's not also shooting while skiing, but my point still stands.
Marit Bjørgen was built like she should be a powerhouse and win sprints, and she did. She also had an engine far more durable than would seem achievable for her physique and won over all terrains over all distances, even when it got to the stage where she was twice the size of all the skiers she was competing with because all the other powerhouses had long since been dropped or hadn't even started. I started dubbing Kopecky this after UAE Tour when she stopped being the powerhouse that won on her own terrain and survived surprisingly well in tougher terrain, and started winning on that terrain too.

It's one of a few different long-running substitutions I have on the forum, such as saying Eddy Merckx to mean Marianne Vos, George Hincapie to mean Geraint Thomas, Cândido Barbosa for Wout van Aert and Chris Horner to mean Rui Sousa.