• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

1990-2010 A Look Back at Remarkable Men

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
So maybe Weylendt should have been put on a 2010-2020 list, which is also why Valverde was only a honorable mention imo. Valverde fits much better between the 2005-2015 era I think. It was a tough list to make though. Some of those riders (Beloki) stick out to me because his crash happened when I was still new to the sport.

But Valverde's greatest achievements - all of them - are pre-2010, so he belongs in the 2000-2010 list.

A few more of those I see as memorable in the time frame(s) noted...

José María Jiménez
Paolo Savoldelli
Carlos Sastre
David Moncoutié
Piotr Ugrumov
Leonardo Piepoli
Frédéric Guesdon
Iban Mayo
Laurent Brochard
Jacky Durand

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Echoes said:
All these riders ought to be scrapped but one or two.

Instead these should be remembered:

Edwig Van Hooydonck
Frans Maassen
Gilles Delion
Charly Mottet
Eddy Bouwmans
Dimitri Zhdanov
Sammie Moreels
Jim Van de Laer
Peter De Clercq

No one will remember any of these people, in fact most people dont even know who they are.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Christian said:
This is maybe a bit off topic, but I have recently been thinking about the "living legends" of the peloton, i.e. the riders who are still active but are already legends. Most of these are in the twilight of their career, so they were around in the 2000-2010 era.

Obviously it is a very subjective list. Here are some that I came up with, in no particular order:

Fabian Cancellara
Jens Voigt
Mark Cavendish
Alberto Contador
Tom Boonen
Davide Rebellin
Cadel Evans
Joaquin Rodriguez

Some that I was hesitant about are Gilbert and Valverde. Gilbert hasn't been able to repeat his great season of 2011, and Valverde has different issues of course.

Same goes for Wiggins who has not been able to confirm. Froome probably will confirm and then I will gladly add him. Nibali is right up there too of course.

Sagan, Kittel, Quintana are all future greats but still too young.

Thomas Voeckler could be added to the Jens Voigt category.

I'm sure I have forgotten some, so my excuses for that!

Who's a legend strongly depend on who you ask IMO. For example, for Aussies Evans will probably always be a legend. Being the top Australian cyclist and first Aussie Tour winner. But for me personally, I wouldn't consider him of legend status.

There are some guys who have dominated so much, won so many races, and shown us such epic performances that most everyone will consider them a legend. Guys like Merckx, Hinault, Contador, Boonen, etc. Most other guys though that haven't dominated on the level guys like these have or won as many races as them; whether one considers them a legend depends on personal opinion.

And then other guys have had legendary times and moments in their career, Schleck on Galibier, Gilbert in 2011 Ardennes, but I wouldn't consider them of legend status.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Lanark said:
I don't think Rebellin or Rodriguez will be long remembered after they quit. Rebellin for his clinic problems in the past (and those issues cast a much bigger shadow on a carreer now), Rodriguez just hasn't won enough or done enough exciting things the be that memorable. Evans...I'm not sure. He was certainly an important rider in the 2007-2011 period, but in the end, what can make him a living legend? His world championship was a good win, but not that extrodinary, his Tour win was certainly great, and one of the most exciting last weeks in a GT in the past decade, but there is a Tour every year, that isn't enough to be a living legend (nobody would consider Savoldelli a legend for winning one of the greatest GT's in living memory).

Jens Voigt is a special case of course. Hasn't won enough to be memorable, but he is a character, and has been in the peloton for ages. That should make him memorable, but then again, who still thinks of Jacky Durand?

But he will win the Giro, Vuelta and the Worlds this year, so Christian is taking that into account;)

I want to honour Iban Mayo, just because he was one of the few wo could make Armstrong nervous. His wins at Alpe d'Huez and Mont Ventoux are legendary.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
BVB6BVB said:
You are forgetting one of the most spectacular riders of the 90s:

Graeme Obree

Agree - absolutely a must-include. And, if we include Obree, we must consider Boardman. Even Moser came back and set a vet's hour record copying Obree's tuck position.

Ryo Hazuki said:
why the **** is weylandt on that list? I might as well put on my grandmother who has almost as much results as him

Netserk said:
Because he will be remembered (but in that case he should be in the 2010-2020 group and not the 2000-2010 one).

Ryo Hazuki said:
he will be remembered because he crashed horribly. not because of any results like other riders on that list. so what is remarkable about weylandt?

I wonder how long this will go before it gets moved to the Clinic. Not that I'm advocating same - I made it known that I felt the Clinic/not clinic rule could loosen up these days. The big fights are over now.

But Obree - agree - totally. Armstrong has to also be on the 1990-2k list. At or near the top.

I agree with Ryo re Weylandt. I understand why he got added, Nets got that in one. But I don't think he should be on such a list. While unfortunate, Ryo's reply is also correct - he is only remembered for a horrible crash. Does this make him remarkable? If only for that reason, Casartelli would probably be a better candidate. After all, Casartelli's death changed rider behavior - they started wearing helmets.

And, I'll have to say Hincapie doesn't deserve on the list, either.

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
the sceptic said:
No one will remember any of these people, in fact most people dont even know who they are.

Only because they were in some cases bigger names in the late 80's/early 90's Mottet in 87 tour springs to mind, Van Hooydonk won the last couple of clean (allegedly) Flanders and refused to dope, they were big names in their day but not the biggest... or perhaps just not tour winners?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
the sceptic said:

Allow me to educate your ignorant soul

Edwig Van Hooydonck - Back to back RVV wins
Frans Maassen
Gilles Delion 1990 Young Rider Jersey TdF, Giro di Lombardia 1990
Charly Mottet - GP Des Nations 3 times, Dauphine 3 times & Audacious 1988 Giro di Lombardia win
Eddy Bouwmans

Dazed and Confused said:
Sadly I think only one rider defined the 2000-2010 era: Armstrong. I would put everybody else in the "honorable" mentions category.

there was more than just one race each year, no?

Netserk said:
You've got to be ****ting me with Voigt, Evans and Rodriguez.

Valverde is closer to legendary status than all three (and Rebellin)

a-hem, maybe read your quote to Ryo before jumping on someone in the way he did?

Afrank said:
... For example, for Aussies Evans will probably always be a legend. Being the top Australian cyclist and first Aussie Tour winner. But for me personally, I wouldn't consider him of legend status.

how about McEwen then?

the sceptic said:
Do some research.

Van Hooydonck, Mottet and Bouwmans were very successful pros in their day - especially Van Hooydonck in the classics. Delion was looking like the next big GT rider until "Edgar" arrived.

Edit: Beaten to it :D

Afrank said:
No, I don't really consider him a legend either, why him?

You were saying for Aussies, it was all about Evans. From 2000 - 2010, Robbie won more than Evans. Has a sizeable number of wins and a couple of green jerseys (although not as impressive as a yellow), but he did get there well before Evans.

Netserk said:
a-hem, get the context next time. Two different discussions: OT and active legends. What you suggest makes zero sense.

Let me get this straight then. You rip into someone for disagreeing with the selection of a certain rider. You then do exactly as he did by rubbishing someone else's selections...
So what the context or selection criteria, tis somewhat inconsistent.

Archibald said:
Let me get this straight then. You rip into someone for disagreeing with the selection of a certain rider. You then do exactly as he did by rubbishing someone else's selections...
So what the context or selection criteria, tis somewhat inconsistent.
Come back to me when you have read (and understood) what has been written in this thread. I've stated quite clearly that it's two different discussions.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Archibald said:
You were saying for Aussies, it was all about Evans. From 2000 - 2010, Robbie won more than Evans. Has a sizeable number of wins and a couple of green jerseys (although not as impressive as a yellow), but he did get there well before Evans.

I was saying Evans is most likely considered a legend for Aussies as an example of who you consider a legend depending on who is asked. Aussies might consider McEwen a legend too, I don't know.

On the subject of Evans vs. McEwen though, this I think would be a case of quality>quantity.

Archibald simply missed that the follow two quotes are about two different discussions.

gustienordic said:
The clinic thread on Marco Pantani inspired me to start this thread. Someone mentioned how no one remembers great men that used to race (THE VDV, Museeuw, etc) so I wanted to start a thread about the men who will be remembered from this era. This isn't about results, it is about perception and how those that raced through the turbulent time are remembered. I will start by naming 20 from each decade in no particular order.

snip

Anybody that I'm missing? What do you guys think? I wanted to have a discussion on the names that had the biggest impact on cycling, negative or positive.

Christian said:
This is maybe a bit off topic, but I have recently been thinking about the "living legends" of the peloton, i.e. the riders who are still active but are already legends. Most of these are in the twilight of their career, so they were around in the 2000-2010 era.

Obviously it is a very subjective list. Here are some that I came up with, in no particular order:

snip

I'm sure I have forgotten some, so my excuses for that!

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I will remember Denis Menchov, Honorable mention (2000-2010).

Giro and Vuelta winner, Tour podium, a true GC contender (uncountable podiums and top-10 presences in GT's) through out the decade.