• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

1990's Lance the Linebacker

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
I have these two photos that I found somewhere online, I forget where. They are of lance back in the early part of the '90s. I remember reading about how he came to training camp one year absolutely beyond huge for a cyclist, but still tearing his teammates legs off :rolleyes:. Interesting that a guy this big could even ride a bike effectively in a race, let alone win!

armstrong-1.jpg

latourdupont.jpg

He looks like he could eat Jullich...

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
zwiebel2004 said:
I have these two photos that I found somewhere online, I forget where. They are of lance back in the early part of the '90s. I remember reading about how he came to training camp one year absolutely beyond huge for a cyclist, but still tearing his teammates legs off :rolleyes:. Interesting that a guy this big could even ride a bike effectively in a race, let alone win!

It all depends on terrain. On a flat, windy course, if you take a big guy and a little guy with the same power:weight ratio, the big guy will have the advantage. When the road starts to go up, the balance tips quickly toward the small guy. Cancellara is a good example of how this works.

LA looks a bit chubby in the second pic, but I think people exaggerate how much his physique transformed from the cancer. That and the fast cadence are probably the two biggest tales he and his people have put out there to distract people from thinking of PEDs to explain his jump in performance post cancer.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
He looks like he could eat Jullich...[/QUOTE]

Julich actually looks like a young man should look if he is an endurance athlete.

But then Lance defenders will tell you how he used to eat a whole bag of doritos in a single sitting.

As if doritos give an endurance cyclists arms like an NFL safety....

Sorry, I expected far, far more from pictures with the headline "Linebacker"...

I don't think he looks all that big in those photos. IIRC he looks bigger wining the Worlds in 93, but that might just be my memory playing tricks on me...

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:

Julich actually looks like a young man should look if he is an endurance athlete.

But then Lance defenders will tell you how he used to eat a whole bag of doritos in a single sitting.

Those aren't the arms of a NFL safety. These are what the arms of a NFL safety look like.

AFC+Wild+Card+Game+Baltimore+Ravens+v+Miami+-p7Dv-QAJV6l.jpg

That looks more like a triathlete physique.

resized.php

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:

As if doritos give an endurance cyclists arms like an NFL safety....[/QUOTE]

exaggerate much? come on hes not that big looks like a typical american racer. julich looks like **** but physically he always looked bad. its a genetic thing i can eat the same as my fellow cyclist friends train the same etc.. but i always carry more upper body mass not fat if anything im leaner than most its just the way it is. some can be skinny to the point of looking ill other bodies will not do it. lance is more of an all round athlete hes not built perfect for cycling but put some super skinny climber in any power involved activity and there useless. id rather be a rouller than a pure climber i dont want people to cringe if i go to the beach lol.

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
Those aren't the arms of a NFL safety. These are what the arms of a NFL safety look like.

Exactly. Maybe the arms of a safety (who for our European friends is generally one of the smallest players) on a really bad high school team.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:

I agree, he is bigger than your average endurance cyclist, but definitely not NFL or even college linebacker, running back or safety material.

He seemed to have a bit too much bodyfat compared to Julich.

A window to the future: Doesn't Lance looks on the second picture like he wants to "tweet" with his 1990's Oakleys??:D

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Before everyone gets bent out of shape about the term "linebacker" I just used it as a term to describe a big guy. I dont even watch American Football...

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
he looks like 170 pounds @ 5'10" caould be a low rier cb in college but no nfl caliber. are europeans really that much smaller than americans. i mean mopst of my cycling buddies that are between my height and 6'0" tall are at least 150-190 and look pretty lean and they do not seem that big to me, but that could be to the fact that i am used to see such discrepancies in body types during t&f meets. big to me is above 220 pounds but i only get socked or awed when i see somebody taller that 6'2" @ 260lbs or more and still athletic.

May 30, 2010
Visit site
skittles

the guys were sponsored by skittles in the second photo....how funny.....plenty of colourful sweets consumed alright!!!

julich looks like he is about to audition for a bad metal band, LA just looks like a school bruiser.....

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site

As if doritos give an endurance cyclists arms like an NFL safety....[/QUOTE]

What are you suggesting-- that he took Deca to beef his upper body up for cycling? Brilliant

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:

What are you suggesting-- that he took Deca to beef his upper body up for cycling? Brilliance

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey...although there's a bull-neck resemblance, Lance is no Davis Phinney.

Lance shook off the baby fat and became racy.

Got it? Nothing here for you to see. Move along, please.

May 22, 2010
Visit site
if you read his book, it was after suffering weight loss battling cancer that he came back to the Tour with a new, leaner physique. there's a rationale explanation for everything :)

TRENDING THREADS