• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

1991 Tour de France final stage - photo (LeMond)

Am I correct in thinking that in 1991, the peloton allowed Greg LeMond to break-away on the run-in to Paris, and that he entered the Champs Elysee on his own?

I remember a photo from a long-lost Graham Watson calendar that showed a Z-clad LeMond, aboard what I think was a dark blue "LeMond"-badged carbon fiber frame, racing directly at the camera, shot from ahead by Watson from the back of a moto. If anyone has that image and would scan and email it to me, I'd really love to see it again. Likewise, if it's online somewhere, please share the link.

This image of LeMond and Kelly is from the 91 Tour, so this is the bike he'd have been on and the kit he was wearing.

1240434987503-ycaeqjs67359-500-90-500-70.jpg

(Original here: http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2009/04/25/1240434987503-ycaeqjs67359-798-75.jpg)

I looked through Watson's archives but couldn't find it, and while I asked him if he could confirm that he'd taken the shot and include it in his archive, I haven't heard back (it was just this morning).

Thanks in advance!

pS. it's a great picture, really cool - I think the Arc de Triomphe is in the background of the shot.

PSS. LeMond was the only?? rider to win the Tour while wearing the world champion's jersey but w/o winning a stage (1990)...

perico said:
Yes, he did break away on the final stage and entered the Champs alone. Don't know if he did it on his own or if it was more of a decision by the other riders to allow it.

I'm fairly certain that it was agreed-to by the bunch, who wanted to allow LeMond the respectful finish to the race to which he was entitled. Very classy by all those involved.

PSS. LeMond was the last clean rider to win the Tour while wearing the world champion's jersey but w/o winning a stage (1990)...[/QUOTE]

Do you mean that he was the last rider to do those three things individually or all together? Because he was probably the ONLY rider to do all those three things together.

joe_papp said:
PSS. LeMond was the last clean rider to win the Tour while wearing the world champion's jersey but w/o winning a stage (1990)...

How do you know he was always clean? He might not have used EPO, but that doesn't mean he never used anything else when he was younger. Laurent Fignon has admitted to using drugs his whole career. So how could Lemond have beaten Fignon while being clean?

As far as getting shot, well that just proves he was an idiot. One of the highest paid cyclists in the world and the reigning TDF champion was screwing around hunting in the woods and gets himself shot. What a complete idiot! :D

He should have stayed home and counted his money. Then he probably would have won in 87 and 88 as well.

Although I agree he seems like a decent and honest guy. However, he was still stupid as hell for going hunting.

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
SlantParallelogram said:
How do you know he was always clean? He might not have used EPO, but that doesn't mean he never used anything else when he was younger. Laurent Fignon has admitted to using drugs his whole career. So how could Lemond have beaten Fignon while being clean?

As far as getting shot, well that just proves he was an idiot. One of the highest paid cyclists in the world and the reigning TDF champion was screwing around hunting in the woods and gets himself shot. What a complete idiot! :D

He should have stayed home and counted his money. Then he probably would have won in 87 and 88 as well.

Although I agree he seems like a decent and honest guy. However, he was still stupid as hell for going hunting.

Bambi tastes good?

I do agree on your larger point though. We don't *know* if Lemond was clean or not. Given how much doping there has been in cycling over the years, the odds are against it, but who knows.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
HokieJoe said:
Bambi tastes good?

I do agree on your larger point though. We don't *know* if Lemond was clean or not. Given how much doping there has been in cycling over the years, the odds are against it, but who knows.

"We Don't Know"= We don't know much since cycling was invented in 1999

HokieJoe said:
We don't *know* if Lemond was clean or not. Given how much doping there has been in cycling over the years, the odds are against it, but who knows.

Why do you say that? Fignon said he was using drugs his entire career. So how did Lemond manage to almost always outperform Fignon over the years without using drugs?

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
HokieJoe said:
Bambi tastes good?

They were hunting turkeys. The problem was not Lemond, who was an experienced hunter, it was his brother in law who had little or no experience and fired on movement. Someone should have stayed with him, but thats the way things happen sometimes.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
SlantParallelogram said:
How do you know he was always clean? ..............

Because 9 years of talking about the use of PED cycling would you think make some one sick of hearing him if he did. But no one has spoken out calling LeMond a hypocrite, except LA, who it is alleged offered $300,000 for anyone willing to say LeMond doped.

No you don't willing talk about PED use in a sport in the manner LeMond has condemned it you have drunk from the same fountain.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
devils gear said:
long live and god bless greg lemond
ps ask him about activity with the tt team with Jackie Simms Jr. TT team. Ask your hero GL that please. You know his IP adress? Before the hearing please. Truth be told bout Greggie boy.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
HokieJoe said:
...... We don't *know* if Lemond was clean or not.

It is accepted in the world of professional cycling by those who raced with LeMond, that he was squeaky clean. Only people who believe LA's lies about LeMond are trying to tarnish LeMond with doping abuses.

when LA came back from cancer LeMond was his biggest fan until he heard the rumour that LA was using, when he confronted LA about it, LA denied it and LeMond's response was, "it is either the greatest comeback in the history of sport or the greatest fraud"......

...and of course LA is being investigated by the Feds for........fraud.:rolleyes:

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
It is accepted in the world of professional cycling by those who raced with LeMond, that he was squeaky clean. Only people who believe LA's lies about LeMond are trying to tarnish LeMond with doping abuses.

when LA came back from cancer LeMond was his biggest fan until he heard the rumour that LA was using, when he confronted LA about it, LA denied it and LeMond's response was, "it is either the greatest comeback in the history of sport or the greatest fraud"......

...and of course LA is being investigated by the Feds for........fraud.:rolleyes:

dude ask the members of the tt team juniors or U-23 teamscoached by Jackie Simes if Geg is squeaky clean. Greg is a druggie. Get over it. Used a PED once, sold a Ped once doper. I know nothing about the 89 tour but before that Greggie boy did dope. I hope Greg comes clean during the Grand Jury. Give back money for any race he did win doped. Only fair and transparent. Verdad. Transparency and truthfullness. Is that not what Greggie advocated for Floyd?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
dude ask the members of the tt team juniors or U-23 teamscoached by Jackie Simes if Geg is squeaky clean. Greg is a druggie. Get over it. Used a PED once, sold a Ped once doper. I know nothing about the 89 tour but before that Greggie boy did dope. I hope Greg comes clean during the Grand Jury. Give back money for any race he did win doped. Only fair and transparent. Verdad. Transparency and truthfullness. Is that not what Greggie advocated for Floyd?

if this is true Flicky, post it up in the clinic.:)

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
if this is true Flicky, post it up in the clinic.:)
You know what, I do not have the time. The members of Gregs team know it Simes knows it, what more needs to be done? This forum I will be banned for speaking the truth, that is OK. I just hopes the Feds investigate LeMond. Notice that I spell his name correctly. I do not know Gregs' friends but I hope that they know Greg because they are up for some surprises.

joe_papp said:
I'm fairly certain that it was agreed-to by the bunch, who wanted to allow LeMond the respectful finish to the race to which he was entitled. Very classy by all those involved.

It's funny that you remember it like that, as the comments I remember from the time were that it was disrespectful as it is traditionally the yellow jersey team* who lead the peloton onto the champs for the first time. A difference between US and Euro press, perhaps? Or have you spoken to riders who were there?

*note to Radioshack - the team with the leading individual, not the leaders of the team classification. Don't even think about it.

joe_papp said:
This image of LeMond and Kelly is from the 91 Tour, so this is the bike he'd have been on and the kit he was wearing.

Remember it well, that stage. Lemond's little breakaway was probably forgotten with all the hubris of the Abdou incident.

I believe I'm right in saying that the frame on the bike you mention was a Lemond-badged TVT and that was probably the last season that we saw those lovely "deco" Campag Record brakes that must have been hideously heavy. :p

higher quality version

Big GMaC said:
Is there a higher quality version anywhere Joe?

E-mail Waston directly?

That was the only version I could find.

I don't have the original print document anymore, or else I'd scan it - anyone else have it?

I emailed Watson but didn't hear back. Not surprising as he's very pro-Lance and anti-Floyd, and I'm ... well, you know.

TRENDING THREADS