• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2003 klein Q team compact with ultegra

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
hey guys, a friend of mine has inherited a bike from her late father and she's no cyclist. she's looking to sell it and wants to know if people would look at it second hand? all original parts, ultegra groupset, carbon fork and stays, alu frame, v low km's, looks in top condition. is there anything funky about kleins from this period? i never see any in australia. i rode it and it felt stiff as all hell with great acceleration from standing. haven't climbed on it, but pretty smooth on bumps, too big for me tho. funky, shimmering red paint job!

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
thanks BD, i think most guys in Oz would be put off by the brand - Klein never really made it big Down Under so buying an "obscure" brand 2nd hand is a stretch for most...right or wrong, the biggest brands get the most attention 2nd hand for the sleep-at-night factor

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I have seen a couple of Klein's for sale in the secondhand section in the local bs down here in Geelong. If I can remember rightly they were going for around the $600 mark

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Bishfactor said:
thanks BD, i think most guys in Oz would be put off by the brand - Klein never really made it big Down Under so buying an "obscure" brand 2nd hand is a stretch for most...right or wrong, the biggest brands get the most attention 2nd hand for the sleep-at-night factor

I struggle to understand what you are talking about, Klein was and I think still is owned by Trek. These bikes were brought into Aust by Trek and have their dealer support.

The bikes themselves are fantastic to ride and are prob the pick of the bunch if you want an aluminuim bike as Klein contiunued with aluminium after most other companies went to carbon. In the early 90's Klein was possibly the best bike on the market but they became to expensive as time went on, thus why there is not 100's of them around these days.

If you are not interested in the bike I am send me a PM....

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Bishfactor said:
hey guys, a friend of mine has inherited a bike from her late father and she's no cyclist. she's looking to sell it and wants to know if people would look at it second hand? all original parts, ultegra groupset, carbon fork and stays, alu frame, v low km's, looks in top condition. is there anything funky about kleins from this period? i never see any in australia. i rode it and it felt stiff as all hell with great acceleration from standing. haven't climbed on it, but pretty smooth on bumps, too big for me tho. funky, shimmering red paint job!

Only 2 funky-ness is internal routing of the shift and brake cable thru the frame. Make sure the cable stops for the shift housing are there, in good shape. If the littl;e brass fitings are gone or gooned up big problem. Nice aluminum frame, 'crisp' ride. Another is it 'may' have a press in bottom bracket bearing setup rather than a conventional threaded-in type. IF the bearings are cooked, 'may' be a problem replacing. Gonna be an issue for any modern, non square taper crank.