• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2010 Giro del Trentino

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
very interesting final 2 kms. no report conveyed the drama imo.

pozzovivo attacked just past 2km to go. ricco and vino responded immediately but after about 20 seconds vino settled into his own tempo. scarponi and basso visibly struggled - basso gasping for air like a fish and scarponi rocking as if he was running out of gear. after 1.5 minutes together, pozzovivo asked ricco to get to the front, cobra refused (or couldn’t). pozzo droped cobra's ass with 800 meters to go.

at 1km to go vino is 19 seconds behind ricco.
at the finish same 19-20 seconds gap to ricco meaning he went the same speed as cobra for the last 1.5 km

according to someone's calculation, pozzovivo’s VAM in the last 2km was 1723. that’s considerably below the ferrari golden standard of 1800 considering the 10% slope.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
You guys make all of these inferences/references/allusions (the exact word escapes me) to doping, and I understand why: Having Ricco and Vino battle for the GC with Basso in the near background surrounded by a bevy of convicted dopers certainly supplies us with the necessary fodder, but these guys just don't look dirty to me. Where are the explosions? You must admit, when EPO was a mandatory dietary supplement for the peloton, the flyboys did just that, fly! Propelled by a mix of volitile chemicals, the riders of the near past certainly were entertaining to watch, weren't they. Every race was like watching a Home Run Derby between Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Mark McGwire, and Barry Bonds. So when the camera goes to Ricco, I expect to see the uh, what, '08? Giro when he showed the world what climbing and showmanship were all about! When I see Vino, I see the bandaged and blood-covered savage chasing the peloton after yet another flat or crash. And I was so stupid-blind in love with these guys that I didn't even suspect they were dirty. I thought Emmmanuelle Selle road that way all the time! LOL!
But maybe they're clean now, maybe. Basso looks clean. Ha ha ha ha ha. The race is good though.

Mellow Velo said:
I watched the climb last night and it was, I'm afraid, extremely suspicious.

Son of Sella, IMO.

Then again, on the 2008 stage to Passo Fedaia, which was a very climbing-intensive stage (Pordoi, San Pellegrino, San Tommaso de Agostino, Passo Giau, Passo Falzarego then finishing on Passo Fedaia), Pozzovivo dropped the Cobra a few km out and soloed away, before Cobra attacked the lead group himself. Pozzovivo beat Riccò in. If both were doped then or Pozzovivo was clean, and both are clean now (big assumptions to make), and Pozzovivo was on a good day, why shouldn't Pozzovivo drop Riccò like that?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
for those who enjoy speculating...
compare ricco's and pozzo's the 2008 giro performances on di pampeago to yesterday.
porpampeago_20080608190634.jpg

yesterday, as i pointed above, pozzo's VAM in the last 2 km was 1723 whilst in 2008 hew was at 1771 for the entire climb

ricco, yesterday 1720, whilst in 2008 he was @1771- 5% faster than yesterday

i know perfectly well - those who want to be skeptical will remain so. those who want to be optimistic will remain so too. everyone pretty much ignores what they dont want to see.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
delgado said:
always interesting, but of course you need to factor in the stage profile (and avg speed) leading up to those two finales.
trust me i did. but as i said above, not many around here are going to be swayed one way or the other by more data. so i dont feel like wasting anyone's time including my own.

but the one below is just hilarious - ricco spaying vino's face with champagne :)
bettiniphoto_0051090_1_full_600.jpg

craig1985 said:
I hope you Simoni fans made the most of this as he might not even take part in the Giro d'Italia.

Have you heard something on this? Please spill the beans.............

As for the rest of the debate; given the figures and the way Ricco was really hurting, (haven't seen him look that stressed before) before getting dumped, are we accepting he's now racing clean?

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Have you heard something on this? Please spill the beans.............

As for the rest of the debate; given the figures and the way Ricco was really hurting, (haven't seen him look that stressed before) before getting dumped, are we accepting he's now racing clean?

I'm accepting his octane rating is noticeably lower than it used to be ;)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

I have. quite a few times. The 2008 Hautacam stage where he tested positive, for example.

Hurt has nothing to do with drugs. Each person has a pain tolerance. Riccò's is X. He'll go until it hurts X. If he takes more drugs, he'll go faster while hurting X. If he takes less drugs he'll go slower while hurting X.

Looking like you're suffering is as good an indicator of doping as someone being a good and honest person. Meaning it doesn't matter at all ;)

Basso what? He hardly looked to be breaking sweat during the 2006 Giro. Gritted teeth is Mr B's warning sign.

Anyhow, Ricco's VAM must have been well down, given those figures. Plus, he's learnt to look like Menchov when he's going backwards, so that makes him clean, right?;)

Gibo seems to have expected to go far better, so he is thinking of putting his feet up, as Craig said.:(

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/simoni-doubtful-about-riding-the-giro-ditalia
(he finished ahead of the curly headed favourite in every stage, though.)

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I saw Vinukurov last year on Passo Stelvio, where he was training with astana boys.
On of the staff gave him a energy bar, he could give him back the wrapper bar (paper) but he threw it away.

He could be a little more earth friendly.

TRENDING THREADS