• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2010 Giro di Sardegna

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 6, 2009
Visit site
Big GMaC said:
Aren't they part of that deal? Or are they not included because of the money issue they had?

I would see them getting a Wildcard ahead of some of the other teams, though on seconds thoughts Vascansoleil have the felliu bros so the French would love that, but it would be right without the pink and blue...

I really fail to see what Lampre have too offer then any of the French wildcard teams. I mean ASO said no to Cipo when he was World Champion because his team was no better then Jean Delatour team, who wore the yellow jersey and won a stage. Cipo would of only abandoned in the moment the road went uphill.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I mean ASO said no to Cipo when he was World Champion because his team was no better then Jean Delatour team, who wore the yellow jersey and won a stage.

Could this be the case for Cadel as well? i mean unless he really does some damage in early races the ASO could not invite BMC. Yes they have a powerful classics team, but if Cadel isn't going to offer GC up they don't have a Green of Polka man... do they?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
The advantage BMC has is that it has friends in very high places inside ASO. I'm backing Cadel to have a better ride at the Tour, whether that remains to be seen after his Giro ride, and there is always a prospect of him winning a stage.

But Lampre have only won two stages since 2005 FFS.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
The advantage BMC has is that it has friends in very high places inside ASO. I'm backing Cadel to have a better ride at the Tour, whether that remains to be seen after his Giro ride, and there is always a prospect of him winning a stage.

But Lampre have only won two stages since 2005 FFS.

They would win more with the Ale-Jet on board, he is one of the few sprinters who has shown to have the same raw speed as Cav, Farrar, Hushovd, Haussler, Ciolek etc. need incredible set ups to be him, Petacchi has the goods.

I hear you on the BMC-ASO thing

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I just don't think Lampre give a toss about the Tour. Because if they did, they would make Cunego ride it every year. The sooner they tell Damiano to give up this idea of trying to win a GT and go for stages instead, the better.

Apr 6, 2009
Visit site
Stage 4 crash

Alessandro Petacchi brought down by a specator's arm out over the barriers.

When is pro cycling going to start protecting the riders more effectively, this kind of thing happens too often. The organizers need to get the spectators further away from the riders, perhaps with double depth barriers.

The way finishes are currently set up it makes pro cycling look like a bush league operation.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
For finishes, I would do a double barrier and perhaps a few security guards in between them. It's absurd how often this happens, but on climbs, I like that the tifosi can get so close. Mountain stages wouldn't be the same without it.