• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2010 Giro sprints

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
We have a thread for "who will win the giro" and the first stage i thought it would be appropriate we talk about the sprinters here and who will win some stages.

Sprinters here are Farrar, Pettachi, Freire (maybe), Henderson, Greipel, mcewen, forster and cooke.

Sprint stages are 2,3,5,6,9,10,12,13,18.

I think it should be interesting as Cav is not here so it is a "best of the rest".

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The sprints have really lost a lot of interest without Freire and Bennati. The points' jersey, also.

Greipel may actually be able to take it, now.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
If Brown manages to finish 2nd all the time like he does all season long, he might win the points jersey :eek:

didn't he only finish second in the so despised 'little races' only. I doubt he can hang with the, however few, big boys in the Giro. I'd only give him a chance in an escape, if he lasts...

Greipel, Farar and Pettachi.

Greipel, to prove a point.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I expect Greipel and Farrar to split most of the sprint stages between the two of them, but Pettachi and McEwen are both far too wily to go three weeks without nabbing a cheeky win, and Henderson will be in with a shot if Sky can get their train organised and make a well-timed move to the front.

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
DJ Sprtsch said:
Merlo and Modolo will have a some top ten finishes as well.

I don't even know Merlo, why do you think he's gonna get some top ten finishes?

What do you guys think about Christopher Sutton, will he put up some results?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Tornadin said:
I don't even know Merlo, why do you think he's gonna get some top ten finishes?

What do you guys think about Christopher Sutton, will he put up some results?

Michele Merlo is what passes for a sprinter at Footon, he won the London crit at the Tour of Britain last year and racked up a bunch of top-tens in the Tour of Turkey recently. He'll certainly be up in the mix and fighting for wheels at the Giro, but he won't be a big factor. Sascha Modolo, on the other hand, has a serious kick (podiums at Tirreno and Sardenga, fourth in M-SR) and could surprise some people if he can get lucky.

Sutton will almost certainly be the last man in the Sky train before Henderson, I don't think we'll see him sprinting for the win himself.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Freire's test today went very well, so there's still a possibility that he'll start. Which is good news for the quality of the sprinters field.

It'll depend on the results of further testing tomorrow morning

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to go for pettachi to win the points jersey and a few stages... he was going well with lampre at the start of the season he should fiind it easier than riding at lpr last year.... greipel should win a few stages though and be a big contendor for the points jersey but I will go for petacchi to win it.

I hope petacchi can still beat greipel and farrar most days. freire and bennati were the sprinters for my fantasy team in the tour the france last year; didn't pick up many points, but they're still my favourite sprinters. too bad if they're out of the giro.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I think Henderson should mix it with the big boys such as Farrar, Pettachi and greipel. the sprints are going to be very interesting and wide open which is refreshing.

Three riders ahead of the rest Firrar,Pettachi and Greiple should fight out most stage wins and the overall sprinters jersey.....also predict M.Wyss team BMC to finish inside the top 10 on more than one occassion.(even top 5 possibly)..........

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Greipel and Petacchi will dominate IMO. And it's hard to discount McEwen, even though he's lacked results for a while.

I hope Farrar dominates, but I think he (and his team) needs to learn to navigate the last few kilometers better to be more consistent.

TRENDING THREADS