• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2010 is over...who will win the 2011 tour?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Well it seems baring a miracle that this years tour has already been decided thanks to that chain problem, and we're gonna be in for a boring last week.

So who do you think will win the 2011 tour?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Biological Entity said:
Well it seems baring a miracle that this years tour has already been decided thanks to that chain problem
It hasn't decided due to the chain problem. Contador had and still has an upper hand in TT.

If you start to think about it it makes the whole situation even worse.
________
Dilaudid Rehab Dicussion

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
rxgqgxnyfz said:
It hasn't decided due to the chain problem. Contador had and still has an upper hand in TT.

If you start to think about it it makes the whole situation even worse.

We're not discussing that incident here - that is for the other thread - but the point is it has been decided TODAY rather than in the final ITT.

So who will win the 2011 tour?

If contador decides to do the giro, could be someone else.
That would leave Schleck as the favourite.

But How hard is the tour going to be. Surely not as hard as this one. If thats the case, maybe Cadel Evans if he rests the giro, will be in good shape for one last shot at the big time.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
The only way Contador loses (baring injury or suspension) is if they put a long Team Time Trial in the race. It would have made the race this year far more interesting

Clemson Cycling said:
The only way Contador loses (baring injury or suspension) is if they put a long Team Time Trial in the race. It would have made the race this year far more interesting

With a TTT in this years race Contador may not even have made the podium.

Biological Entity said:
We're not discussing that incident here - that is for the other thread - but the point is it has been decided TODAY rather than in the final ITT.

Has it? Who is to say Contador doesn't have a mechanical tomorrow or Thursday?

So who will win the 2011 tour?

Which teams are riding and what are their riders' form going into the race?

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
This kind of post is stupid... we should be talking about La Grande Boucle 2010 instead of talking about a TdF that doesn't even has a route or a list of teams, etc... this post should be in "General"

Don't forget that Astana's 2010 team is a grabbag, not the choicest collection of riders. The Hog stripped the team to the bone when he went to Radio Shack and Astana only has had since August last to completely restructure the squad. In fact, it appears to me that at least part of Hog's motivation was depriving Contador of certain riders' services in the upcoming season. Sergio Paulinho, for instance, was added to Astana's TdF squad last year specifically to appease AC, who (correctly) suspected that the team was being front-loaded to Armstrong's benefit.

Given another year to recruit, Astana should be a substantially stronger squad. Not to mention there are no Radio Shack stores in Europe. Now that they're facing the prospect of losing the advertising and crowd-drawing potential of a Lance Armstrong, I suspect their bean counters must be questioning the wisdom of sponsoring a continental cycling team. I'd look for many of the riders who followed Armstrong's move to be riding for someone else next year. And I'd be surprised if Paulhino doesn't rejoin Contador at Astana.

Contador this year is the same age as Armstrong was when he won his first TdF. It's a fair bet AC has two or three more left in him. Give him a team with the strength of LA's Posties/Disco squads and he could stretch that to five or six more.

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Not watching the tour anymore until AC stops riding or someone else stumbles apon the magic rice cake of doom and gives us someone to watch that could actually have a chance of beating AC.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Old&slow said:
With a TTT in this years race Contador may not even have made the podium.

Are you blind?

Vino, Tiralongo, Contador, Noval are all solid TTers.

Besides Contador might be riding with Cancellara next year! Now thats a tandem for the TTT.

I don't know about the race itself but this forum is going to be pretty lonely with all the LA fanboys gone..

Does anyone see a pattern here? new member making about 34 idiotic replies..now beginning with idiotic threads..

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
This kind of post is stupid... we should be talking about La Grande Boucle 2010 instead of talking about a TdF that doesn't even has a route or a list of teams, etc... this post should be in "General"

And you really think those things are going to affect the result? lol

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I'd LOVE for someone to explain to me how a TTT makes the tour more exciting?? After last years TTT everyone other than Astana was basically out of the race. The only reason LA was on the podium was the TTT, and ditto for Klodi's chances of making it.

In one day it knocked out a large number of true contenders like Sastre, Cadel, etc. If this year had a TTT it would be Conti and Schleck out by more than 5 min's from 3rd place and you wouldn't have guys without strong teams like Sammy Sanchez, Van Den Broeck, Menchov with any sort of chance. Someone like Sanchez, in a weak TT team would not even be in the top 10 and would have resigned himself to a stage win at best, when clearly he is one of the best riders in the race - just how is that exciting. Were it not for the cobbles he would be even closer to the other two and a threat to Schleck in the ITT.

Maybe its exciting for the fanboys who only seem to like following the largest teams with the largest budgets buying up all the best riders rather than having them spread amongst more teams where a real battle can take place on the road.

I am looking for 2012 already (if the world doesn't end!)...

I am sure that Tejay Van Garderen will compete eventually - he has to be the new USA hope...it just may take him a few years.

The USA is going to have a bit of a drought of TDF GC contenders.

LL is too old, CDV is done, Horner is too old, LA is "retiring" again, that leaves us with the new crop of riders Like Tejay, Stetina, Mini Phinney (wont be TDF overall I don't think - He might be the next hyped sprinter?)

A

Anonymous

Just to depress you all
2008_giro_d_italia_riccardo_ricco_saunier_duval_scott_wins_stage2.jpg

TRENDING THREADS