• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2010 TdF - Can this be the Best?? - Vote

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Best Tour.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who knows, it is 1-2 MTFs short and too many sprint finishes. The race for 2nd in GC will be interesting, maybe exciting.

Unfortunately the racing from the Tour all depends on tactics. In the Giro they can just send the peloton into a wall, and a natural selection occurs. In the Tour there are no such walls, you can have leading groups neutralised due to overly defensive racing.

Contador will not lose, but anyone who thinks they are a chance need to attack, attack and attack - I hope this is what we see.

Since we are doing future tours here as well i cant believe you left out le tour 2013!!!! OMG

Stage 11, as the tour visits italy and reruns the Montalcino stage from 2010 giro, all unwritten rules are broken as Maillot Jaune Fabian Cancellara goes on a solo break and takes a 45 muniute lead in the gc.
Stage 12 - Cancellara loses twenty minutes on Zoncolan
Stage 13 Cancellara loses half an hour on the Montirillo but makes up 20 minutes on a heroic descent, keeping the jersey.
Stage 17 Tour visits Spain and Cancellara loses 20 minutes and yellow jersey on Angliru to Gesink
Stage 18 Tour visits Alpe de huez and Ventoux in one day in an epic 350 km stage in which Cancellara surprises by everyone and regains yellow jersey by cycling with no hands up the bold mountain
Final stage, ITT Euro Disney - Champs Elysee. Cancellara crashes 800m from the finish line with no replacement bike in sight so instead sprints the last 800 mins in 2 mins 30 seconds, winning tour by 3 seconds.

The nexd day. Cancellara is disqualified after a hidden motor is found in his bike. Second place Oscar Perreirio becomes champion.

Greatest ever

Polish said:
And The 2003 Tour de France won the Prestigious "Prince of Asturias Award" for Sports:
1987: Sebastian Coe
1988: Juan Antonio Samaranch
1989: Severiano Ballesteros
1990: Alfonso "Sito" Pons
1991: Sergey Bubka
1992: Miguel Indurain
1993: Javier Sotomayor
1994: Martina Navratilova
1995: Hassiba Boulmerka
1996: Carl Lewis
1997: Spanish Marathon team
1998: Arantxa Sánchez Vicario
1999: Steffi Graf
2000: Lance Armstrong
2001: Manuel Estiarte
2002: Brazil national football team
2003: The Tour de France
2004: Hicham El Guerrouj
2005: Fernando Alonso
2006: Spanish Basketball Team
2007: Michael Schumacher
2008: Rafael Nadal
2009: Yelena Isinbayeva

Even race Radio will agree with me that the 2003 TdF was AWESOME!

Wow, a sportsman competition that hasnt yet given Usain Bolt a sportsman of the year for winning a race that takes 10 seconds.
This i got to see.

Oh wait is this a joke. 2009 was the year Yelena Isinbayeva failed. She didnt lose once 2003- 2008 but the year she finaly did they give her the award?

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
like most here, i think it will be won by contador (failing that, ? schleck) and be extremely boring.

in fact i find it amazing you think it will be an exciting race between mostly english speakers. i don't expect the front group to be 50% anglophone on any of the important stages.

the only exciting thing about it will be sitting back afterwards to wait for test results to roll in and find out who "really" won.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
ericthesportsman6 said:
I feel people say every year that the tour could be the best ever. Also, how is 2008 on this list. I know it was close that year, but after watching the 08 giro, the quality of riders at the tour in 08 were no where near the best in the sport.

Great riders do not make great races, great races make great riders. I loved the 2008 Tour, it was a really close fight between two evenly matched riders with different strengths. I know some people want to see a great champion destroying everyone on every stage, but I much prefer to see an actual race. That's why I loved 2008, and that's why I don't think this year will be terribly exciting. Unless something unusual happens to Contador he will waltz away with the yellow jersey.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Great riders do not make great races, great races make great riders. I loved the 2008 Tour, it was a really close fight between two evenly matched riders with different strengths. I know some people want to see a great champion destroying everyone on every stage, but I much prefer to see an actual race. That's why I loved 2008, and that's why I don't think this year will be terribly exciting. Unless something unusual happens to Contador he will waltz away with the yellow jersey.
I agree. Though I was miserable after the ITT. That tour was such an emotional roller coaster!
Polish said:
Yes, Levi winning that final ITT was very exciting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0tvHWwWlQ4

But taking the Yellow from "The Chicken" really ruined that year's tour:(
Left a bad aftertaste ...

He deserved to lose the jersey. He should not of started and that was dissapointing for the race.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:

You ride great but I am a great rider....;)

TRENDING THREADS