• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2010 team sponsorships

May 6, 2009
Visit site
So far that I'm aware Saxo Bank, Milram, Caisse d'Epargne, and BBox Bouygues Telecom are all looking for new sponsors next season. Is any other top team or otherwise in the same boat? I know many sponsorships end in 2011, it will be interesting to see what happens then.

Saxo Bank are very confident in getting a new sponsor, and it seems positive around BBox Bouygues Telecom that they will get a new sponsor. Not sure about Milram and Caisse d'Epargne (that seems dependent on what happens with Valverde) in their sponsorship hunt. FTR I hope all four teams get a new sponsor. If anybody has some info on this, it would be great.

Another thing I want to know, in the latest Pro Cycling Magazine issue, there is an interview with Cavendish, and in it mentions that Columbia's sponsorship ends this season and they probably won't extend their sponsorship of the team. Is that correct?

The four you mentioned are certainly the only ones I know of for sure among the big money teams. I'm less optimistic than Riis is though on Saxo's chances. The Schlecks are obviously not speculating on starting their own team as a mere exercise in media relations. Very likely if Saxo gets another sponsor this will be with a reduced budget that requires some serious cost-cutting, and maybe that means their GT ambitions get left behind and the team focus gets placed even more squarely on Cancellara and the classics.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
I heard that Milram has talked with a German sponsor seriously. maybe they will announce it in Tour.

IIRC, Bob Stapleton said he was not too care the sponsor from Columbia. The money from HTC is enough.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
The four you mentioned are certainly the only ones I know of for sure among the big money teams. I'm less optimistic than Riis is though on Saxo's chances. The Schlecks are obviously not speculating on starting their own team as a mere exercise in media relations. Very likely if Saxo gets another sponsor this will be with a reduced budget that requires some serious cost-cutting, and maybe that means their GT ambitions get left behind and the team focus gets placed even more squarely on Cancellara and the classics.

How big of a sponsor is SunGard? They seem like a company that is big enough to sponsor a team to Riis' budget demands.

craig1985 said:
So far that I'm aware Saxo Bank, Milram, Caisse d'Epargne, and BBox Bouygues Telecom are all looking for new sponsors next season. Is any other top team or otherwise in the same boat? I know many sponsorships end in 2011, it will be interesting to see what happens then.

Saxo Bank are very confident in getting a new sponsor, and it seems positive around BBox Bouygues Telecom that they will get a new sponsor. Not sure about Milram and Caisse d'Epargne (that seems dependent on what happens with Valverde) in their sponsorship hunt. FTR I hope all four teams get a new sponsor. If anybody has some info on this, it would be great.

Another thing I want to know, in the latest Pro Cycling Magazine issue, there is an interview with Cavendish, and in it mentions that Columbia's sponsorship ends this season and they probably won't extend their sponsorship of the team. Is that correct?

Shouldn't be anyway worries for THR as HTC is now the major sponsor.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Nice that Vacansoleil is going to be around for a while!! Additional monies for a GC contender...nice and good for them!! I hope all the teams can stay around...Caisse I don't really care about...not a team I ever really liked...but for sure some great riders there.

craig1985 said:
How big of a sponsor is SunGard? They seem like a company that is big enough to sponsor a team to Riis' budget demands.

I thought SunGard was their out too, but apparantly that deal was only for this season, and the amount involved obviously wouldn't cover the entire team budget even if SunGard do extended the sponsorship

TRENDING THREADS