• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2010 Tour de France

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:
Now I know some of those guys are a far cry from top 5/10 position, but if you add up yours and mines lists youve got THIRTY TWO riders who, IMO are battling for the top 15.

I'll bet you $1,000 that not even half of your list make the top 15.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
What are you smoking Goatie? The guys in bold aren't gc riders or will not top 20. Basso will not top 5. I don't see why people are picking him to do so well in the tour next year.

I'm smoking plenty :p

The guys you highlighted have either finished top 10 in GTs before, and have shown talent in smaller stage racers.

With breakaways and domestic duties some of my list will obviously not make the top 20 but I was just pointing out the depth of GT potential in the peleton at the moment.

Granted Cancellara was a longshot - but wait and see him win the Tour in the next 5 years (if they include Indurain-like TT kms again)

hornet said:
I'll bet you $1,000 that not even half of your list make the top 15.

Well, half of 32 riders is 16. :D

And it's impossible that 16 riders can finish in the top 15... ;)

auscyclefan94 said:
Basso will not top 5. I don't see why people are picking him to do so well in the tour next year.

Hell Yeah !‎ I agree with you completely !?!
Probably the only thing funnier than that is when someone pick some total loser & freaky sissy... like Cadel Evans for example... :rolleyes:

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:
I'm smoking plenty :p

The guys you highlighted have either finished top 10 in GTs before, and have shown talent in smaller stage racers.

With breakaways and domestic duties some of my list will obviously not make the top 20 but I was just pointing out the depth of GT potential in the peleton at the moment.

Granted Cancellara was a longshot - but wait and see him win the Tour in the next 5 years (if they include Indurain-like TT kms again)

Well, half of 32 riders is 16. :D

And it's impossible that 16 riders can finish in the top 15... ;)
Next year could potentially be one of the most star studded fields in many yesrs of the tdf. Those guys I have bolded will not top 20. Even though riders have top 10'd in a GT doesn't mean **** for next year for exmaple last year, Mick Rogers was 8th in the Giro, if their was no TTT he would of been either 10th or 11th. Once it went uphill he struggled.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Zen Master said:
Hell Yeah !‎ I agree with you completely !?!
Probably the only thing funnier than that is when someone pick some total loser & freaky sissy... like Cadel Evans for example... :rolleyes:

Don't go there,I'm warning you;)

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
Don't go there,I'm warning you;)

thats the sort of thing that keeps me awake at night... cadel winning the tour..

i dont know what we would actually do if he won.. makes paying for the hotel in paris rather upsetting.. although it has to be said, the atmosphere wasnt nearly as good this year without the usual bunch of aussies at the top bend under the arc.. theyve been great for the atmosphere 2006 and 2007.. almost missed them..

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
thats the sort of thing that keeps me awake at night... cadel winning the tour..

i dont know what we would actually do if he won.. makes paying for the hotel in paris rather upsetting.. although it has to be said, the atmosphere wasnt nearly as good this year without the usual bunch of aussies at the top bend under the arc.. theyve been great for the atmosphere 2006 and 2007.. almost missed them..

hey, if Cadel is not at the tour then i'll barrack for wiggy or wiggo! I hope you would do the same.;)

dimspace said:

The usual bunch of aussies at the top bend under the arc would have been there, but one of them stood on his dog.

R.I.P.

(the aussie fans, I mean, not the dog)

A

Anonymous

lucybears said:
The usual bunch of aussies at the top bend under the arc would have been there, but one of them stood on his dog.

R.I.P.

(the aussie fans, I mean, not the dog)

well thats gone over my head...

they where actually a very vocal and rather fun bunch, they were missed.. the mexican wave this year was rather crap without them.. before them it was the spanish.. they where very odd, didnt cheer anyone on the final parade except the spaniards.. we always cheer everyone whoever they are.. (well except cadel who weve now ****ed off two years in a row.. going for a third this year)..

you still cant beat the dutch.. most insane fans in the world..

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
well thats gone over my head...

they where actually a very vocal and rather fun bunch, they were missed.. the mexican wave this year was rather crap without them.. before them it was the spanish.. they where very odd, didnt cheer anyone on the final parade except the spaniards.. we always cheer everyone whoever they are.. (well except cadel who weve now ****ed off two years in a row.. going for a third this year)..

you still cant beat the dutch.. most insane fans in the world..

Well that's nice, but it won't compare to how us aussies boo your poms when they come for the ashes. Your mob is going to have their heads kicked in:)

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
main players:
contador
armstrong
schleck

back burner:
wiggins
evans (if he doesn't go for the giro win)
menchov (ditto)

noticeable tv time but no chance:
sastre
vdv
someone from liquigas

of course, all this could change with a crash in the volta a catalunya

personally, i'm not even going to dwell on le tour until the classics are over

and even then the only thing i'm clenching about is Hincapie and Paris-Roubaix