• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Classics... Pick one rider!

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Meh, Gadret was barely better than Bauke Mollema.

Or do you consider TGBM a top climber already :p

I didnt see Mollema up ther with freaking Carlos Sastre on the PAsso di Mortirolo. He even outclimbed world champion and pre Giro favourite Cadel "Cuddles" Evans on that beast. The same Evans who 2 days previous came second on the Kronplatz and 3 days previous came 2nd on the Zoncolan.

Then you have those previous Giro performances when he finished up there in mountain stages.

Forget cyclocross Johnny boy. You have talent in this thing of ours.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I'm missing mainly the Italian (semi) classics. They have a large history, always a great course, and a good starting field, much better than Paris Tours or Paris Brussels for instance.

Emilia, Tre Valle Varesine, Beghelli, Piemonte etc

Dont forget the Canadian races. By todays standards the criteria for classics is simple. If eurosport cover it its a classic.

I know you dont get it but then again, you wont complain cos our friend over there won it, so for you it automatically becomes a semi monument.

The Hitch said:
I didnt see Mollema up ther with freaking Carlos Sastre on the PAsso di Mortirolo. He even outclimbed world champion and pre Giro favourite Cadel "Cuddles" Evans on that beast. The same Evans who 2 days previous came second on the Kronplatz and 3 days previous came 2nd on the Zoncolan.

Then you have those previous Giro performances when he finished up there in mountain stages.

You're right, he was definitely stronger than the friendly Northern Dutchman who gets mentioned way too often on this forum. There's been absolutely zero hype about Gadret, but he did really well... although he lost heaps of time in the first few stages, thus ruining his GC aspirations.

Milan – San Remo (Italy) - M. Cavendish
Ronde van Vlaanderen (Belgium) - H. Haüssler
Gent–Wevelgem (Belgium) - T. Farrar
Paris–Roubaix (France) - T. Hushovd
Amstel Gold Race (Netherlands) - J. Rodriguez
Flèche Wallonne (Belgium) - R. Ricco
Liège–Bastogne–Liège (Belgium) - P. Gilbert
Clásica de San Sebastián (San Sebastian Classic) (Spain) - L. L. Sanchez Gil
Paris–Brussels (France/ Belgium) - J. J. Rojas Gil
Worlds - M. Breschel
Paris–Tours (France) - D. Bennati
Giro di Lombardia (Italy) - P. Gilbert

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I'm missing mainly the Italian (semi) classics. They have a large history, always a great course, and a good starting field, much better than Paris Tours or Paris Brussels for instance.

Emilia, Tre Valle Varesine, Beghelli, Piemonte etc
Nice races, but nowhere near the prestige of Paris-Tours. Who in Holland has ever heard of Emilia, even though the Condor of Varsseveld won it twice?

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Milan – San Remo (Italy) Greipel
Ronde van Vlaanderen (Belgium) Cancellara
Gent–Wevelgem (Belgium) Nuyens
Paris–Roubaix (France) Hushovd
Amstel Gold Race (Netherlands) Kolobnev
Flèche Wallonne (Belgium) Cunego
Liège–Bastogne–Liège (Belgium) Gilbert
Clásica de San Sebastián (San Sebastian Classic) (Spain) LL Sanchez
Paris–Brussels (France/ Belgium) McEwen
Paris–Tours (France) Farrar
Giro di Lombardia (Italy) Haussler

The Hitch said:
Dont forget the Canadian races. By todays standards the criteria for classics is simple. If eurosport cover it its a classic.

I know you dont get it but then again, you wont complain cos our friend over there won it, so for you it automatically becomes a semi monument.
And for the same reason the Tour of California is a grand tour. I'm such an idiot :D I know

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:

It wouldn't of been very hard too outclimb cadel on that day when he was using a far too bigger gear and had a shocker.
Martin said:
Milan – San Remo (Italy) Pozzato
Ronde van Vlaanderen (Belgium) Gilbert
Gent–Wevelgem (Belgium) Freire
Paris–Roubaix (France) Sagan
Flèche Wallonne (Belgium) Cancellara
Liège–Bastogne–Liège (Belgium) ValverdeClásica de San Sebastián (San Sebastian Classic) (Spain) Freire
Paris–Brussels (France/ Belgium) Cavendish
Paris–Tours (France) Greipel
Giro di Lombardia (Italy) Gilbert

good luck with that!

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Milan – San Remo (Italy) Cavendish
Ronde van Vlaanderen (Belgium) Boonen
Paris–Roubaix (France) Cancellara
Amstel Gold Race (Netherlands) Gilbert
Liège–Bastogne–Liège (Belgium) Evans
Clásica de San Sebastián (San Sebastian Classic) (Spain) Sanchez (doubles my chances)
Paris–Brussels (France/ Belgium) Farrar
Paris–Tours (France) Cavendish
Giro di Lombardia (Italy) Gesink

The Hitch said:
Good job Armchair, but i picked Danillo not Damiano for Lombardia

Hence the question: Hondo, or Di Luca? I'd assume the later, but if you choose to be imprecise in the way you answer.... :p

(Mr Tibbs' comments, and a temporary mental blank, led to my error)

Google docs spreadsheet updated, but unless Sophstic and Cobblestones come clean about which Sánchez they want to tip for the San Sebastián, I won't credit them for either.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Contre la montre said:
Paris–Roubaix (France) CancellaraAmstel Gold Race (Netherlands) Gilbert
Liège–Bastogne–Liège (Belgium) Evans
Clásica de San Sebastián (San Sebastian Classic) (Spain) Sanchez (doubles my chances)
Paris–Tours (France) Cavendish
Giro di Lombardia (Italy) Gesink

Didn't Cancellara already say that pretty much definitively that he's not going to ride Roubaix this year in order to focus on LBL?

Here:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cancellara-says-contador-signing-prompted-saxo-bank-departure

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I dont know about MSR. This is where Cancellara is simply better. The Poggio is what, 6 7 k out. Canc is able to go on the Poggio and tt from there. I know its not the same, but in Geelong, the last hill was a similar distance out, the sprinters teams were far more tired than in MSR, which favoured Gilbert who is the better climber, and focused his entire season on it. Gilbert went on the hill and tried it but got caught with about 2k to go.

I dont see how he will be able to do it at MSR, with less hills to tire out the others and the likes of Cavs HTC leadout challenging him.

In a small breakaway... Maybe people won't want Gilbert with them if they have some time on the peloton over the Poggio. But everyone will know it's probably their only change in their career to win MSR from the sprinters so they work their *** off till 1,5k even though Gilbert is with them.
The problem is: only once a few years there aren't enough sprinters + their teams in form and strong enough hillpunchers like Gilbert/Pozzato/Canc to make the break. Gilbert have to try it for years.
He is able to sustain world-domination form for a few weeks, and top level for more than a month. But can he win MSR if he also wants to focus on LBL/AGR and RVV?

I think Gilbert can have good results Paris-Roubaix too. His wins in Omloop (final with not so much hills, just paves) prove he can ride the course to me. But well, maybe he's not worldclass without hills (yet).

Btw: nice stats...

Matthijs said:
He is able to sustain world-domination form for a few weeks, and top level for more than a month. But can he win MSR if he also wants to focus on LBL/AGR and RVV?

Yep thats another point. His best chance is to do what Canc does. In 06 he wanted his PR win and got it. In 08 he wanted his MSR win and got it. This year he said its all about Flanders and got it. Now he can focus on LBL and GDL.

Gilbert needs to win LBL this year. GEt it in the bag. I think he can. LBL being the last spring classic he can always have a go at it after the other classics even if not on top form. With LBL in the bag focus on Flanders. That he can do also. Then MSR and Paris Roubaix are what 3 weeks out? maybe in future years he can have a go at both.

Milan – San Remo (Italy) - Oscar Freire
Ronde van Vlaanderen (Belgium) - Fabian Canellara
Gent–Wevelgem (Belgium) - Tyler Farrar
Paris–Roubaix (France) - Tom Boonen
Amstel Gold Race (Netherlands) - Phillippe Gilbert
Flèche Wallonne (Belgium) - Andy Schleck
Liège–Bastogne–Liège (Belgium) - Phillippe Gilbert
Clásica de San Sebastián (San Sebastian Classic) (Spain) - LL Sanchez
Paris–Brussels (France/ Belgium) - Sebastien Chavanel
Paris–Tours (France) - Edvald Boasson Hagen
Giro di Lombardia (Italy) - Giovani Visconti

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
O/T

Matt White: "there’ll be two or three world-class riders missing out [on Roubaix and the RVV]."

This is a good thing why?

I don't know to whom he's referring, but it's no good if you have overqualified riders in supporting roles. Not that much to gain either, because you have an increased weight of expectation. Either it's "So you should have won, the team was stacked." or it's "How did you manage to fluff that one with such a strong team?".

Gent–Wevelgem (Belgium) Breschel
Amstel Gold Race (Netherlands) Vinokourov
Flèche Wallonne (Belgium) J. Rodriguez
Liège–Bastogne–Liège (Belgium) A. Schleck
Clásica de San Sebastián (San Sebastian Classic) (Spain) Barredo
Giro di Lombardia (Italy) Gilbert

Worlds: Goss

I think with the depth of younger riders and the older stars, I think you will see a bunch of different winners and exciting racing.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Armchair cyclist said:
Hence the question: Hondo, or Di Luca? I'd assume the later, but if you choose to be imprecise in the way you answer.... :p

(Mr Tibbs' comments, and a temporary mental blank, led to my error)

Google docs spreadsheet updated, but unless Sophstic and Cobblestones come clean about which Sánchez they want to tip for the San Sebastián, I won't credit them for either.

stoned, not stones ;)

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Milan – San Remo - Possato
Ronde van Vlaanderen - Gilbert
Gent–Wevelgem - Haussler
Paris–Roubaix - Hushovd
Amstel Gold Race - Hesjedal
Flèche Wallonne - Gesink
Liège–Bastogne–Liège - Kolobnev
Clásica de San Sebastián - Rodriguez
Paris–Brussels - Greipel
Paris–Tours - Farrar
Giro di Lombardia - Nibali

Het Volk - Boonen
E3 Prijs - Boasson
Scjeldeprijs - Farrar
HEW - Cavendish
Dwaars - Haussler

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
Milan – San Remo (Italy) Greipel
Ronde van Vlaanderen (Belgium) Cancellara
Gent–Wevelgem (Belgium) Nuyens
Liège–Bastogne–Liège (Belgium) Gilbert
Clásica de San Sebastián (San Sebastian Classic) (Spain) LL Sanchez
Paris–Brussels (France/ Belgium) McEwen
Giro di Lombardia (Italy) Haussler

ZERO so far. But that Nuyens was close. I think I just accidently mixed up the lines.

:rolleyes: :D

TRENDING THREADS