• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Tour de France Stage 6: Dinan - Lisieux, 226.5 km

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Delicato said:
It won't tell much but if, for example, AC or AS will not be able to respond to acceleration from Evans or VDB one can assume that,barring some magical injections on the rest day, the two favorites aren't in overwhelming form at the moment.

Agreed, but two things. I think we already know neither is in smashing form, and I don't see AC losing time to CE or VDB.

So to me, Super-Besse is unlikely to tell me much we don't already know. The only surprise for me would be to see AS do well, and hurt people, even briefly.

A

Anonymous

BYOP88 said:
Yeah he didn't look in Giro form, when he tried to launch it, but I guess he has a week or so until the mountains(well he'll need some form for saturday).

And he may very well gain that form. He is a GT specific rider, and knows what he is doing. His plan may be to ride himself into that form, and he may very well have the ability to do so. My belief is however, that he won't.

On a sporting level, I hope that is the case. I don't like processions to Paris. I want to see a race that is contested. That and I don't think Contador should have been allowed to ride, so that certainly flavors my opinion.

Thoughtforfood said:
Nice way to accuse me of something that was complete BS, and not own up to it. Do they sell spines where you live?
I'm sorry I can't follow you right now.

My reply to you was about Vanendert who was attacking, not VDB, which you claimed

My second reply was a reply to the youngest about Gesinks injury.

What the blazes are you talking about?? I can't follow.

These are Edvalds biggest wins IMO:

Gent Wevelgem - Rain
TdF stage 6 - Rain
Giro 09 stage 7 - Rain
Dauphine stage - Rain
Eneco Tour - decided the race in the TT in the rain
(Tirreno stage - Sun)

Coincidence? I'm hoping for bad weather in the spring classics next year :)

Jamsque said:
New green jersey standings:

Gilbert 144
Rojas 143
Hushovd 112
Evans 98
Cavendish 94
Farrar 76
Feillu 73
EBH 51
Hinault 48
Greipel 48

Rojas has nearly 50 points on Cavendish now.

And yet Vaughter apparently decided before the Tour that Thor shouldn't compete for the green. :rolleyes:

A

Anonymous

VeloCity said:
But to play devil's advocate, the fact that AC's even considering attacking on a stage like this could indicate that he's feeling pretty good. If he wasn't up to snuff, most likely he'd just sit in and hope that the legs come around for the mountains - which is, I get the feeling, what Andy is doing.

He is over a minute down on GC, so I think his attacking is in relation to that and his worry of the future stages, and not some effort to show he can attack.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
I think he had 2 bike changes, and during one of them it sowed he wasn't full of joy. I think he is extremely agitated that he was on the ground, it was raining all day long, he is wrapped in gauze (wet weather and stitches in your arm for 6 yuck), he was off the back once or twice (after those bike changes perhaps), and he might feel he is letting his team down.

I think he said yesterday something like "you prepare all year long for such a race an then this happens"

That he lost morale yesterday was telling; he never seemed like a rider that would lose morale.

Let's hope the team can talk some sense into him and he might surprise himself in a week. :eek:

yeh he looked fed up on the 2nd bike change.
His mentality is at a bad place atm I agree.
He needs to pull through this.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
VeloCity said:
But to play devil's advocate, the fact that AC's even considering attacking on a stage like this could indicate that he's feeling pretty good. If he wasn't up to snuff, most likely he'd just sit in and hope that the legs come around for the mountains - which is, I get the feeling, what Andy is doing.

I tend to agree with you. Alberto was being active. He at least got up off the saddle and danced for a minute. Stage 4 he almost won and another 3 meters of course and he would have.

A

Anonymous

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I'm sorry I can't follow you right now.

My reply to you was about Vanendert who was attacking, not VDB, which you claimed

My second reply was a reply to the youngest about Gesinks injury.

What the blazes are you talking about?? I can't follow.

You claim that I have repeatedly made that mistake, which is a complete fabrication. I wrote it once today. You understand now?

theyoungest said:
Gesink: "if I don't improve there's no point in me being here".

Complete text is:
My body didn't feel good today. If I don't improve there's no point in me being here. I suffered from pain in my back. It was a hard tough finale and I also had mechanical problems, but I managed myself through this day"

Is it really suprising he had a horrible day today? And he's right that if it stays like this he probably doesn't stand a chance, but we still have a few more days.

A

Anonymous

therhodeo said:
Oh that was already settled on here. It was because he wasn't in the drops. :D

Oh...thanks. Good to know that it wasn't because he didn't have the legs, which is how it looked on TV. Not being in the drops strikes again!!!:D

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
He is over a minute down on GC, so I think his attacking is in relation to that and his worry of the future stages, and not some effort to show he can attack.

That's based on your assumption that it was an attack.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Kwibus said:
Complete text is:
My body didn't feel good today. If I don't improve there's no point in me being here. I suffered from pain in my back. It was a hard tough finale and I also had mechanical problems, but I managed myself through this day"

Is it really suprising he had a horrible day today? And he's right that if it stays like this he probably doesn't stand a chance, but we still have a few more days.

It is indeed natural to feel pretty bad a day or two after a bad crash.

I think by stage 9 or 10 we will have a fair idea of his chances.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Kwibus said:
Complete text is:

That complete quote sure gives a completely different feeling.

A

Anonymous

therhodeo said:
That's based on your assumption that it was an attack.

No, today I think he was trying to cover, and he couldn't. I misspoke...again.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
yeh he looked fed up on the 2nd bike change.
His mentality is at a bad place atm I agree.
He needs to pull through this.
DS Van Houwelingen said that yesterday in the team bus he was immediately on the floor doing stretch exercises to prevent his body from getting stiff and sore. The mentality is not the problem, what I conclude from this is that he's really suffering. He's not exactly a whiner.