• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Tour in Review!

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Grade the 2011 Tour de France on a 1-10 Scale

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Walkman said:
Talk about being delusional.

Cadel (I think) would have destroyed the likes of Scarponi and Nibbles if they raced le Tour. Please, don't be such a fanboy all the time.

That's your opinion.

Contador has crushed Nibali twice in GTs
Nibali has beaten Evans twice in GTs

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Great logic...not!:rolleyes:

What I meant is that we can't compare guys who has not entered in the same race or have peaked for different races, we just know that Nibali has beaten Evans in GTs , It's just not so clear that Evans can crush Nibali in a GT but It's clear that Contador can as we saw in TDF'09 and GIRO'11.

Spaniard said:
What I meant is that we can't compare guys who has not entered in the same race or have peaked for different races, we just know that Nibali has beaten Evans in GTs , It's just not so clear that Evans can crush Nibali in a GT but It's clear that Contador can as we saw in TDF'09 and GIRO'11.

silly spaniard hasn't read the thread where aussies are saying evans is one of the greatest because he has won 1 tour+1 world chamionship and 2 mountain bike world cups (yes world cups not world tittles) unlike guys with lesser talent like merckx, hinault etc

also lol at ACF avoiding giro form contador which is the definition of fresh contador. and actually with last years form he would have still won. him and schleck were miles above every1 last year and for different reasons were a level below this year and still where in contention.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
silly spaniard hasn't read the thread where aussies are saying evans is one of the greatest because he has won 1 tour+1 world chamionship and 2 mountain bike world cups (yes world cups not world tittles) unlike guys with lesser talent like merckx, hinault etc

also lol at ACF avoiding giro form contador which is the definition of fresh contador. and actually with last years form he would have still won. him and schleck were miles above every1 last year and for different reasons were a level below this year and still where in contention.

Yes, i read some posts in that thread, but I don't think aussies in this forum consider Evans as one of the Greatest, just the fact that winning the TDF and the Worlds has been achieved by a few ryders, consider Evans as one of he greatest is insane, Contador is not yet in the top 10 and Cadel's palmares is miles away from Contador's

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
It is so funny to see all the AC fans squirm at the thought of somebody insulting or not mentioning their God in a godly way...:D

Dude, I don't want to entry in child games, I cheered for Cadel in the TT , his triumph was totally deserved, but saying that Contador's opponents in the Giro were weak or that Cadel would have crushed Nibali in the TDF is senseless, we just can't measure differents opponents in differents races with differents forms.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
jobiwan said:
It's once again time to look back at another GT! A great one I'll say!

Some questions to consider:

Where does this Tour rank among past Tours? Compared to the Giro? Best Tour since 1990 but Not quite as good as the Giro of '10 & '11
Did the third week make up for the first two? What was wrong with the first two?
What was your favorite stage? Stage 19
Were the parcours suitable to a GT? Are you serious?
What was your favorite Non-GC Competition? Did the changes in these competitions work? Maillot Vert finally won by the right guy.
What riders made the Tour special? Hoogerland!!
Who surprised you? Voeckler
Who disappointed? Voeckler, but more that Iwas disappointed for him

How many minutes would a fresh Contador have won by? Not so sure he'd have won
Who made the best stage preview?? :D This one by Tuarts for stage 18.Sorry!

And many more questions...
Answered your questions.

Spaniard said:
Dude, I don't want to entry in child games, I cheered for Cadel in the TT , his triumph was totally deserved, but saying that Contador's opponents in the Giro were weak or that Cadel would have crushed Nibali in the TDF is senseless, we just can't measure differents opponents in differents races with differents forms.

I would not say that Evans is one of the all time greats but he is incredibly versatile and consistent. To win a Worlds and a TDF any time is an achievement no matter who was riding or who was in form etc.........I don't know why many people think Contador is going to return to the TDF next year and slaughter the opposition like he did in the Giro. Andy Schleck made him work hard for his 2010 TDF win and in the 2011 Giro, Contador had the perfect course for a climber. I am expecting the 2012 TDF to be another close race as it is still the one everyone wants to win and the Tour is a very different race to the Giro and Vuelta. I am not saying Contador cannot win. That would be foolish. I thought Contador's team was ordinary and even he has admitted the team needs new blood...........so to speak. He deserves to be favourite due to his grand tour record but I don't think he is unbeatable. I don't think the Giro field was weak. Not on paper anyway. Contador was just superior and the result never looked in doubt unlike the TDF.