• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Vuelta a España, Stage 19: Noja - Bilbao (158,5km)

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Arnout said:
Partly because of interest, but also because of houses per square mile ;)

Well that's true for the Basque Country, but Asturias and Cantabria are not particularly densely populated. Actually, the Farrapona and Angliru area is quite sparsely populated. Peña Cabarga is next to a rather big city, Santander, but then again Sierra Nevada is next to a big city too, Granada, and you didn't see many people there.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if oviedo has a greater population than Santander. And both cities are a similar distance to their respective climbs as the crow flies

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
nvpacchi said:
I wouldn't be surprised if oviedo has a greater population than Santander. And both cities are a similar distance to their respective climbs as the crow flies

Peña Cabarga is pretty much on the outskirts of Santander, Oviedo is also close to especially Angliru but a bit further north as you might know.

Nice ride by Anton. Sky should have upped the ante a bit earlier though Tommy rode well. Love Breseghin, he should get the most aggressive rider award for this Vuelta. And he could have been riding for a top 10 GC but he is not, he's seeking stage wins.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Bruseghin always fades away slower than most other guys in a GT. I would say he's getting better, but you don't get better in a GT, you just get tired less quickly than the others. If a GT was 6 weeks he'd be in for the victory :p

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Bruseghin always fades away slower than most other guys in a GT. I would say he's getting better, but you don't get better in a GT, you just get tired less quickly than the others. If a GT was 6 weeks he'd be in for the victory :p

He said yesterday in an interview that stages are too short for him. All he needs are 220+ kms every day :D

nvpacchi said:
:

Sadly not many from Bilbao : too crowded, but still got some good podiums (there's also random city pics as I combined them all into one album: https://picasaweb.google.com/107994777371882995640/BilbaoAntonVictory

Also peña cabarga : I was able to get a photo with garate. Wasn't sure if he was annoyed or excited that someone actually knew who he was https://picasaweb.google.com/107994777371882995640/LaPenaCabarga

Thanks for sharing. Garate does look a bit surprised :)

I was just past the finishing line. The crowds were phenomenal. Every kilometre that ticked by, the gap would be announced and the place would go ballistic. Everybody was scared Bruseghin would catch Igor on the descent but once it became clear who would win, everything was electric. Antón is from the town the climb starts in and has trained on that climb since he was a little boy. It's not especially surprising he would a) want to win here; b) know how and where to dose his efforts on it.

At the team buses after the stage, the heat was so oppressive pretty much every rider just went straight in for a shower. Only one guy stuck around to do photos and talk to the fans. His name? Amets Txurruka.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
I was just past the finishing line. The crowds were phenomenal. Every kilometre that ticked by, the gap would be announced and the place would go ballistic. Everybody was scared Bruseghin would catch Igor on the descent but once it became clear who would win, everything was electric. Antón is from the town the climb starts in and has trained on that climb since he was a little boy. It's not especially surprising he would a) want to win here; b) know how and where to dose his efforts on it.

At the team buses after the stage, the heat was so oppressive pretty much every rider just went straight in for a shower. Only one guy stuck around to do photos and talk to the fans. His name? Amets Txurruka.

Very nice.:)

TRENDING THREADS