2011 Vuelta a España Stage 20: Bilbao → Vitoria, 185km

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dekker_Tifosi said:
By the way he climbs this Vuelta you would think Devolder weights at least 120kg.
QFT

The way he climbed the stage Lastras won was ridiculously hilarious... does he ever do anything good anymore? Wasn't he hailed as an upcoming GT aspirant back a bunch of years ago? I haven't seen him do anything since he won the back to back RVV though..
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
2
0
jsem94 said:
QFT

The way he climbed the stage Lastras won was ridiculously hilarious... does he ever do anything good anymore? Wasn't he hailed as an upcoming GT aspirant back a bunch of years ago? I haven't seen him do anything since he won the back to back RVV though..
He won the Tour of Belgium last year beating the likes of Gilbert. He also gifted away a stage win at the Tour of Belgium to Ben Hermans. At the National championship on the road he beat Gilbert again. And finally he won the National Time trial championship. Not a bad season.
 

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
3,480
0
0
roundabout said:
Phinney is a tall boy. Should probably be around 80 simply because of his height.
I believe Phinney was talking before the Vuelta that he had cut his weight down a little and now weighed (if I am correct, I could be mistaken) 83 kg
 
zapata said:
In an interview years ago, he said he doesn't consider himself a sprinter, but rather liked to get in breakaways.
In the year he won 2 TdF stages, one was from a break. He has always seemed to get in a reasonable number of breaks. I've always seen him as a classy rider, but he doesn't seem to have the top end speed of Cav, Farrar or Greipel. I was surprised a) that the group was so big after 3 weeks and a couple of Cat. 1s, b) Sagan wasn't there. Anyway, tomorrow is the climax JRod vs TGBM:D
 
Tank Engine said:
In the year he won 2 TdF stages, one was from a break. He has always seemed to get in a reasonable number of breaks. I've always seen him as a classy rider, but he doesn't seem to have the top end speed of Cav, Farrar or Greipel. I was surprised a) that the group was so big after 3 weeks and a couple of Cat. 1s, b) Sagan wasn't there. Anyway, tomorrow is the climax JRod vs TGBM:D
I think we sometimes forget how young Sagan is. It's not really surprising that he's been nowhere in the final week of his first GT, particularly when you remember that he was already near his peak for the Tour of Poland.
 
May 25, 2010
3,371
0
0
Gah Bennati, you're off the 2012 CQ squad list. :D

Still good win by him, tactically smart and his results haven't been that bad this year (after his comeback). Should be the designated sprinter at the Worlds.
 
Seem to remember in 2007 or 2008 Bennati was beating Petacchi regularly. 2007 he won on the champs elysees in addition to his breakaway win. In the 2008 giro he looked almost as fast as Cavendish. After that he's been injured a lot, I think, plus he's turned 30, and might never be as fast as he was. Still, very classy rider, maybe he could go the way of Hushovd.
 
Zinoviev Letter said:
I think we sometimes forget how young Sagan is. It's not really surprising that he's been nowhere in the final week of his first GT, particularly when you remember that he was already near his peak for the Tour of Poland.
Fair point. He did start in the pro ranks when he was barely out of nursery school, so I sometimes forget.
 
Why-yes-I'm-quoting-myself said:
Sorry for late reply...

I'm pretty sure it said Kristof Vandewalle... :-/ On the list at the side... yet it does say/imply it to be J Vandewalle...

Are those two related?
Okay. It's Kristof... Jurgen is in Canada. And I don't know if it matters but his name is Van De Walle as opposed to Vandewalle.
 
Mar 13, 2009
5,246
0
0
If ever I was happy for a sprinter to win it's got to be @Benna80 ... it's been a couple of very hard years for him and this season has been very difficult too. I knew his chances would come towards the end, when everyone is tired and the likes of Cavendish and Kittel are long gone. He might not have their speed anymore but he has a lot of other qualities as a rider, is a great team mate (cf. Nibali 2010) and just overall a classy guy. I agree that he could go the way of Hushovd ... maybe starting with a WC win in a couple of weeks. Once again I'm very happy he got this win after all his second and third placements and the tragedy of Wouter Weylandt's death.

I was also happy for Greipel's and Farrar's wins at the TdF this year.
 
So apparently Gárate has said the plan was for Mollema to attack on Urkiola, and they were telling him to attack since the tactical situation was perfect, but he was too chicken to give it a try. Dutch Mafia, you should start working on boosting his confidence.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
2
0
hrotha said:
So apparently Gárate has said the plan was for Mollema to attack on Urkiola, and they were telling him to attack since the tactical situation was perfect, but he was too chicken to give it a try. Dutch Mafia, you should start working on boosting his confidence.
The chicken would have attacked if he was there.
 
hrotha said:
So apparently Gárate has said the plan was for Mollema to attack on Urkiola, and they were telling him to attack since the tactical situation was perfect, but he was too chicken to give it a try. Dutch Mafia, you should start working on boosting his confidence.

Meh, I think he wasn't feeling so well.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY