• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Vuelta a Espana, Stage 16: Villa Romana La Olmeda (Palencia) - Haro, 180km

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Going ahead and making this thread...

After the rest day, we have a typical transition stage before the last real test on Stage 17. If the weather plays nice, this will be a great chance to claim a sprint victory before Madrid, so expect the trains to be at full speed. However, there will be those brave few who think THIS is their chance to score one from the break. We'll see...

mapa16.jpg

16_perfil.gif

16uk.jpg

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Bennati
Sagan
Petacchi
Haedo
Boonen
Haussler
Sutton
Howard
Degenkolb
Van Avermaet
Mondory
Paolini
Ligthart
Veelers
Gavazzi
Reynes
Vigano
Gasparotto

Very very little pure sprinters left though.

I think GVA could go well. Not so many top sprinters. Sky won't work for Sutton as they will be too tired and Haussler does not have the team around him to win. Sagan is the favourite and is certainly looking to get the points jersey.

Sagan
Howard
GVA
Petacchi
Bennati

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
From Cyclingnews preview:

David López says...
"I know this area pretty well and the one thing that will make it really tough is the wind. It’s flat but there will be tension in the bunch if the wind does get up. It might not affect the overall standings but no one should think this will be an easy day."

Sounds like an opportunity for a train to make some splits and surprise people on the flats. Would like to see HTC, Sky, Leopard Trek and Liquigas cooperate to create a split where Wiggins, Froome, Fuglslgangalang and Monfort could gain a handful of seconds and allow Sagan and Degenkolb to fight out the stage victory.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Four or five years ago the peloton would lol about and the break gets 10 minutes plus and some random wins, but you would have to say a sprinter will get this, and I'll get with Ale-Jet FTW and Bennati to come 2nd.

Ferminal said:
Bennati
Sagan
Petacchi
Haedo
Boonen
Haussler
Sutton
Howard
Degenkolb
Van Avermaet
Mondory
Paolini
Ligthart
Veelers
Gavazzi
Reynes
Vigano
Gasparotto

too long your list, let's cut it

Bennati
Sagan
Petacchi
Haedo
Haussler
Sutton
Howard
Degenkolb
Mondory
Ligthart
Veelers

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Ligthart is faster? You mean he once got 11th and Van Avermaet got 12th, or something?

I think they're equals when it comes to a normal sprint. They're quite fast, but they don't stand a chance in a real peloton sprint.

They have a better shot at a hilly finish with a decimated peloton, in which case I would rate Van Avermaet a bit higher.