• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Giro d'Italia, May 11th, Stage 6: Urbino - Porto Sant'Elpidio 207km

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Fetisoff said:
Hesjedal will get the pink tomorrow anyway. As for Cav - I guess it's

a - He's the current world champ
b - has no problem getting over some hills when has a chance to win
c - finished behind Andrea Guardini today

In general - the way he rides these stages. Compare that to Andre Greipel for example

Or he suffers a lot to get over hills when he knows he can win.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
if cav is into the race he has to thank taylor phinney who pulled very hard in the last 10km-

time of the last 10 km:
chavez 13min 15
malori group 12min 69
main group (basso,scarponi) 11m45
cavendish 12m12

so cav group finished very fast,
in italy there are some suspect that they may be they get an help from some cars in the last 5 km, when the heli was not flying anymore...
anyway in the group there were 3 sky and 3 rabo +phinney: they were doing a small TTT...

imho, chapeau to cav: he probably is still paying the price of the fall of two days ago, today was an hard day, very hot with 2500m elevation: time limit within 10% was difficult to made, today stage deserved a higher % , today it was more a mountain stage

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Caruut said:
Or he suffers a lot to get over hills when he knows he can win.

OK, I can live with that.

However to me that still doesn't justify him finishing in a group behind a guy who can't get over a speed bump if his life depended on it, and within 30 seconds of missing the time limit

profff said:
imho, chapeau to cav: he probably is still paying the price of the fall of two days ago, today was an hard day, very hot with 2500m elevation: time limit within 10% was difficult to made, today stage deserved a higher % , today it was more a mountain stage

it was classified as a stage categoria c), that's the 3rd hightest out of 4 categories for road stages in this giro. Only the stages in the high mountains (and the timetrials, which are categoria e) ) have a higher percentage

search said:
it was classified as a stage categoria c), that's the 3rd hightest out of 4 categories for road stages in this giro. Only the stages in the high mountains (and the timetrials, which are categoria e) ) have a higher percentage

What is the percentage for Stelvio and Pampeago stage?
I dont think that any sprinter will survive but just curious about it:)

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Fetisoff said:
OK, I can live with that.

However to me that still doesn't justify him finishing in a group behind a guy who can't get over a speed bump if his life depended on it, and within 30 seconds of missing the time limit

Cav had a pretty nasty fall a few days ago don't forget, and said he felt awful all yesterday. Also his hot girlfriend turned up yesterday, so you know.

The Sheep said:
hcE8h.jpg

:cool:

Brilliant save that.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
hatcher said:
Cav had a pretty nasty fall a few days ago don't forget, and said he felt awful all yesterday. Also his hot girlfriend turned up yesterday, so you know.

Well, he must have felt good enough to win stage 5.

And oh yeah, I just hope he didn't have 5 beers when his girlfriend turned up, if you know what I mean

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Fetisoff said:
Well, he must have felt good enough to win stage 5.

And oh yeah, I just hope he didn't have 5 beers when his girlfriend turned up, if you know what I mean

Stage 5 was a heck of a lot easier than today though. That Sky didn't ride at all until the final 8k of a sprint stage says a lot about how Cav was feeling that day.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I think it says more about flat stages in general that he still managed to win.

His form was good enough to be good in the team time trial and to win a stage. He also had a rest day. Fall will have effected him, but he can't use it as an excuse.

jens_attacks said:
vs rubiano

i'd say

Good pick ( congrats ).

Congrats to Miguel for the stage. Malori did a good sprint and congrats to him for taking pink.
Sad for Farrar. Hushovd failed. I thought Goss would be able to stay with the pack but maybe he just could not do it. Hopefully he can go well in other sprint stages.

profff said:

Pinotti estimated the total difference in altitude was 3700m.

TRENDING THREADS