• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Giro d'Italia; May 18th; Stage 13: Savona - Cervere (121km)

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
it's not positioning that guardini sucks so hard in. he lacks engine. he suffers in every wt race or race with many wt teams, like qatar as well. the guy is more overrated than vincenzo nibali

Picks up stages like a boss at Langkawi though, which is what counts. Surely he's your perfect sprinter, there to accompany all the midget Colombians who've gotten dropped on the flat.

Froome19 said:
1 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Sky Procycling 3:02:07
2 Alexander Kristoff (Nor) Katusha Team
3 Mark Renshaw (Aus) Rabobank Cycling Team
4 Sacha Modolo (Ita) Colnago - CSF Inox
5 Elia Favilli (Ita) Farnese Vini - Selle Italia
6 Matthew Harley Goss (Aus) Orica GreenEdge Cycling Team
7 Arnaud Demare (Fra) FDJ-Big Mat
8 Lucas Sebastian Haedo (Arg) Team Saxo Bank

Have Saxo given up on JJ?

I think he got boxed in.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Froome19 said:
That is technically a spoiler, but I dont think many people mind as nothing major is going to happen over at Lords for a while.

Hmm. Is that the game where you hit wooden balls through little gates on the lawn with a mallet?

I can actually tell difference between croquet and cricket, just making a point

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Froome19 said:
1 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Sky Procycling 3:02:07
2 Alexander Kristoff (Nor) Katusha Team
3 Mark Renshaw (Aus) Rabobank Cycling Team
4 Sacha Modolo (Ita) Colnago - CSF Inox
5 Elia Favilli (Ita) Farnese Vini - Selle Italia
6 Matthew Harley Goss (Aus) Orica GreenEdge Cycling Team
7 Arnaud Demare (Fra) FDJ-Big Mat
8 Lucas Sebastian Haedo (Arg) Team Saxo Bank

Have Saxo given up on JJ?

no. jj couldn't place himself again. his younger brother is a lot better in that and also a better climber. but not the speed of jj

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Lexman said:
i don't get it all these teams know Cav is too fast for everyon and still they work all the stage, let Sky do the work so they may not have enough man left for the last 10 km's...

If they start doing that, Sky will just put men in the breakaway. The ironic thing is that the better Cav does, the more desperate the other sprinters' teams become for a win, so the more willing they are to chase everything, just for a chance at a stage win.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Renshaw had Cav boxed in then moved and two or more riders rode past his left side... if Renshaw had sprinted straight Cav would not of had a slot to get past, assuming Renshaw hadn't blown up the way he did in the last 50 meters or so. Its as if he was leading Cav out...

Kwibus said:
Some people won't like it, but Cavendish is a legend in the making.

Of course. Love him, hate him, or somewhere in between, only a fool would deny his incredible sprinting ability. He turns 27 years old in 3 days. He's already won 20 TdF stages, 6th overall, and passing Merckx's 34 stage wins looks to be a very real possibility. Per Wikipedia, he's at 33 total GT stage wins not counting this year's Giro. That makes 36 now. Catching Merckx's 64 wins? Well, that's a tall order.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
renshaw has made himself to be an utter and delusional joke. no that it's very surprising though. although I didn't know until this year that he was so full of himself.

Caruut said:
If they start doing that, Sky will just put men in the breakaway. The ironic thing is that the better Cav does, the more desperate the other sprinters' teams become for a win, so the more willing they are to chase everything, just for a chance at a stage win.

so be it they put men in the breakaway those men can be beaten in the finale and will be purely missed to get the breakaway back, you must ride such stages as a Milan San-Remo

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
ElChingon said:
Renshaw had Cav boxed in then moved and two or more riders rode past his left side... if Renshaw had sprinted straight Cav would not of had a slot to get past, assuming Renshaw hadn't blown up the way he did in the last 50 meters or so. Its as if he was leading Cav out...

Old habits die hard. Cav looks like he could do with a quality leadout, Renshaw's little "I'm a real sprinter!" experiment has failed. I think old ties need to be renewed.