• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Giro U.S. Stages Possibilities

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
What would be good venues if the 2012 Giro runs a couple of road stages in the U.S. after the prologue and D.C. circuit? I'm thinking south to Richmond and then back north maybe out of some place like Williamsburg would be good. Going east or northeast poses traffic problems and going west or southwest has logistics problems not to mention more hills than probably wanted on early stages. Any thoughts?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
According to Google Maps you can do a ±220km stage from DC to Philly while avoiding highways. Philly has a little cycling culture right?

Mstumpf77 said:
Some of the old Tour duPont mountain stages along the Blue Ridge are well within range of D.C. Wintergreen anyone? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvnrzU-rGX0

I don't think the Giro organizers will be looking to make the US leg of the race very difficult. Financing will also be a major issue and they'll want to stick with starts and finishes in big(ish) cities that can fork out some money and bring in some local sponsorship. So small cities like Wintergreen will miss out I imagine.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I'd also love to see a Giro stage in the Blue Ridge with something like a Wintergreen finish. And that's only 130 miles or so from Dulles Airport, so it could conceivably be the last stage, giving another day or two for flat stages first. I'm assuming they'll do an early rest day to get the riders back to Italy.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
According to Google Maps you can do a ±220km stage from DC to Philly while avoiding highways. Philly has a little cycling culture right?

I believe they held the US national championships in Philly before moving to Greenville.

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Moondance said:
I don't think the Giro organizers will be looking to make the US leg of the race very difficult. Financing will also be a major issue and they'll want to stick with starts and finishes in big(ish) cities that can fork out some money and bring in some local sponsorship. So small cities like Wintergreen will miss out I imagine.

You're probably right. However, I would think that the best way to get American sponsors to participate would be to argue that a sponsorship now would allow them to get in on the ground floor in an effort to prove that it's possible to hold some stages of the Tour de France, the only race that the American public follows, in the United States. It follows that, to get the Tour (an extraordinary longshot at best), you have to show that U.S. stages would make for great competition. A long stage of flat followed by a bunch sprint, whether north to Philly or south to Richmond, doesn't qualify. But you're right that a D.C. circuit race or a couple such stages are what we're likely to get.

Mstumpf77 said:
You're probably right. However, I would think that the best way to get American sponsors to participate would be to argue that a sponsorship now would allow them to get in on the ground floor in an effort to prove that it's possible to hold some stages of the Tour de France, the only race that the American public follows, in the United States. It follows that, to get the Tour (an extraordinary longshot at best), you have to show that U.S. stages would make for great competition. A long stage of flat followed by a bunch sprint, whether north to Philly or south to Richmond, doesn't qualify. But you're right that a D.C. circuit race or a couple such stages are what we're likely to get.

But why would the Giro directors be interested in this point. They're just trying to make as much money as possible: and that means crits and big cities for starts & finishes. The Giro isn't doing this as a charitable act to help out US cycling.

TRENDING THREADS