2012 Grand Prix Cycliste de Quebec/Montreal

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
JRanton said:
Talking of CQ points I see that Sky are on course to break the record CQ team points total, ahead of the likes of Mapei, US Postal, Team CSC and Team Columbia-HTC!
That's because the database isn't complete for older races. Mapei had more victories in a year than Sky had in 3 years.
 
JRanton said:
Which is why I don't really understand his decision to leave Sky. He didn't need to worry about nationalism affecting his chances in the hilly classics because Sky don't have any Brits for those races (well maybe JTL if he joins). He mentioned something about riding the Tour but that shouldn't be a focus for a rider like him.

Anyway, great ride by him today.
The Tour is big TV in Norway. It has been for the last 10 years, so it might be a little dream come true. Perhaps winning a stage or something.

With Cav leaving sky things might have opened up, but still sky has a very good squad.


Anyway I liked the sky EBH/LPN tactics. LPN goes on the attack instead of waiting to counter the next attack, and everyone is watching EBH. EBH is waiting for somebody to tow him up. Nobody wants to tow EBH up. Finally someone goes after LPN without EBH following. LPN saves enough to get on the back wheel, and sprints uphill perfectly. He used those in front of him to jump off of one after the other perfectly. :D
 
El Pistolero said:
That's because the database isn't complete for older races. Mapei had more victories in a year than Sky had in 3 years.
Mapei also had a forty-something-strong squad and no official division between the A team and the development squad that competed in semi-professional races.
 
El Pistolero said:
That's because the database isn't complete for older races. Mapei had more victories in a year than Sky had in 3 years.
It goes back to 1999 so covering Mapei from 1999-2002. I wasn't talking about victories anyway but just for the record I don't remember Mapei winning 101 races in a season (Sky's three year total).
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
hrotha said:
Mapei also had a forty-something-strong squad and no official division between the A team and the development squad that competed in semi-professional races.
Mapei also had competition, Sky didn't. :eek:

Mapei never had 40 riders anyway, not in the 2000s at least.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
hrotha said:
What.

Me: Mapei had 40-something riders.
You: No they didn't.
Me: Totally did. Here, proof.
You: CQ Ranking isn't complete.
?
Yes, you have the Mapei junior team and the real Mapei team. CQranking misses out on half the wins. Is incomplete for pretty much anything. I don't know why people keep using it.
 
El Pistolero said:
Yes, you have the Mapei junior team and the real Mapei team. CQranking misses out on half the wins. Is incomplete for pretty much anything. I don't know why people keep using it.
Hello, the first thing I said is that, officially, that distinction didn't exist at the time. There was only one Mapei team. Of course Museeuw didn't do the Tour of Rhodes, but Mapei (officially the same team that rode Paris-Roubaix) did.

And I didn't even say anything about how complete CQ Ranking is. I'm not taking part in that discussion at all.
 
hfer07 said:
really? how so? to me the race was great-lots of attacks. perhaps not the winner that anyone expected , but the resuts showed how open the race was...
Perhaps because I'm comparing it to the previous ones. But all in all, the atmosphere there is fantastic, it's never boring...
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
cineteq said:
Congrats to Flaken for calling this on Friday, when some of us dismissed him. :eek:
He also said that Quebec was more suited to EBH ;)

cineteq said:
Perhaps because I'm comparing it to the previous ones. But all in all, the atmosphere there is fantastic, it's never boring...
Last year was pretty similar, no?
 
Jul 8, 2012
314
0
0
theyoungest said:
He also said that Quebec was more suited to EBH ;)
No I didn't. I said Nordhaugs chance of winning is probably better in Montreal than in Quebec. I never claimed that EBH would stand a better chance in Quebec than in Montreal. My take on it is that EBH can handle both type of courses if they aren't well above 200k (2nd in Quebec 2010, winner of Gent-Wevelgem shows he can handle shorter climbs. Winner of stage 7 in DL 2010 for example shows he also can handle a circuit type course with longer climbs.). And I agreed that Nordhaug can do well on courses with shorter climbs, I just thought his chances of winning would be better in Montreal. That's all. :)
 
Jul 8, 2012
314
0
0
Wergeland said:
Hesjedal leads the chasers in the finish with Sagan on his wheel, but then Sagan is gone and finishes 12th. A bit worrisome for him.

Gerrans and EBH are clearly the strongest in the sprint, behind the 3 infront. That Gerrans manages to beat EBH in the sprint should be a warning to the other contenders in the worlds.
 
Falken said:
Hesjedal leads the chasers in the finish with Sagan on his wheel, but then Sagan is gone and finishes 12th. A bit worrisome for him.

Gerrans and EBH are clearly the strongest in the sprint, behind the 3 infront. That Gerrans manages to beat EBH in the sprint should be a warning to the other contenders in the worlds.
Definitely agree. Gerrans is a huge contender for the Worlds, probably one of the top favorites.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Hugo Koblet said:
Definitely agree. Gerrans is a huge contender for the Worlds, probably one of the top favorites.
Based on current form, maybe the only guy who can follow Gilbert and Purito up the Cauberg? Who knows.

BTW in both Quebec and Montreal, Martens looked really strong. But the commentators generally don't recognize him, and in both races he managed to f.ck up the sprint.
 
SafeBet said:
Thanks.


Wow french commentators had no clue about any of the guys in the front until the very last few metres.
love the way they're completely talking french.. and then suddenly go to this west coast "Ryder" whenever they said his name
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY