• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Grand Prix Cycliste de Quebec/Montreal

I hope Evans can start to recuperate and go well here ( in time for the WC ). Bole could feature and Fedrigo should be a strong competitor.

I am expecting one of Sagan and Moser to own, with maybe Gerrans/ Albasini, Ulissi, Hesjedal, Voeckler, Vanendert, Gallopin and LLS to challenge.

greenedge said:
I hope Evans can start to recuperate and go well here ( in time for the WC ). Bole could feature and Fedrigo should be a strong competitor.

I am expecting one of Sagan and Moser to own, with maybe Gerrans/ Albasini, Ulissi, Hesjedal, Voeckler, Vanendert, Gallopin and LLS to challenge.

I would add Leukemans and possibly Nuyens to the mix as well. Especially the former seems to be getting in fighting shape.

greenedge said:
@SafeBet: Your fault.

Besides with the way Sagan is and the way Moser has raced he could win

I didn't have Plouay as evidence Sagan is in really bad shape. If he doesn't improve, Moser is clearly gonna be their man in Canada.

Still, he's unproven at this level, so I wouldn't be upset if he doesn't deliver. And his form isn't perfect too.

Edit: I'm not sure why you put a link to my thread though.

maltiv said:
After his performance today that looks unlikely now. I don't know if he's sick or just out of shape but either way he probably won't be in top shape here.

Peter Sagan DNF Plouay because of illness.
This ofcourse could still mean he won't be in shape for these races. Let's hope else it will be too predictable ;)

Sky squad for both races:

Michael Barry, Edvald Boasson Hagen, Alex Dowsett, Peter Kennaugh, Thomas Löfkvist, Lars-Petter Nordhaug, Salvatore Puccio, Geraint Thomas

Quite weak team to be honest. They'll have to ride on the front early since EBH is a favourite, but most of those guys are either returning from injury (Barry) or from the track (Kennaugh, Thomas). Others (Puccio, Dowsett, Löfkvist) were all dropped very early in Plouay and have questionable form. So they might end up with EBH losing the race due to not having teammates left in the final 30k like in 2010. Nordhaug could be pretty valuable in the finale though, but not if he'll have to do work early on.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
or maybe EBH won't win those races because there are stronger guys then him like in 2010 and 2011?

he is a favorite but if he doesn't win it's not because he doesn't has a team with him.

i am just saying. . . .

Field is rather weak this year though.

Parrulo said:
or maybe EBH won't win those races because there are stronger guys then him like in 2010 and 2011?

he is a favorite but if he doesn't win it's not because he doesn't has a team with him.

i am just saying. . . .
Of course that's a possibility as well. I don't know if you remember Quebec 2010, but EBH was looking very comfortable as Voeckler went with a quite unimpressive attack (this was before he became a superclimber) but everyone watched EBH and the group completely stopped up. Voeckler won and EBH was a comfortable second 3-4 seconds back, but obviously it's quite a reasonable assumption to make that he'd have won with a teammate there.

Last year he simply had no form at all, so yes, anything can happen. I just pointed out that the team isn't very strong, which obviously could be a disadvantage.

El Pistolero said:
Field is rather weak this year though.

costa is there :cool:

maltiv said:
Of course that's a possibility as well. I don't know if you remember Quebec 2010, but EBH was looking very comfortable as Voeckler went with a quite unimpressive attack (this was before he became a superclimber) but everyone watched EBH and the group completely stopped up. Voeckler won and EBH was a comfortable second 3-4 seconds back, but obviously it's quite a reasonable assumption to make that he'd have won with a teammate there.

Last year he simply had no form at all, so yes, anything can happen. I just pointed out that the team isn't very strong, which obviously could be a disadvantage.

honestly 2010 quebec is the only on i missed lul, fair enough he could use a team mate there indeed and he would very likely won. but with form he had last year no team would be good enough and gesink was just super in montreal 2010

anything can happen tho

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
anything can happen tho

Except Costa stealing another win from Gilbert at the Canadian races :D

Anyway, I'm going to cheer for Costa(or some random Belgian), I like the way he always ends up on the podium in races like this even though he doesn't really have a special weapon like a killer sprint, killer uphill punch, good time trial, etc

You know what I mean.

El Pistolero said:
Except Costa stealing another win from Gilbert at the Canadian races :D

Anyway, I'm going to cheer for Costa(or some random Belgian), I like the way he always ends up on the podium in races like this even though he doesn't really have a special weapon like a killer sprint, killer uphill punch, good time trial, etc

You know what I mean.

that is reserved for the worlds this year :p

i think we can officially say now that costa will be a force in the ardennes for the next few years. he just needs more support from movistar so something like what happened this year at liege doesn't happen again. as for the canadian races, he is one of the favorites imo

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
There's no harm in trying, but if he somehow should fail he can always fall back to one week stage races. Has some potential there as well. Won the fourth GT after all. ;)

El Pistolero said:
There's no harm in trying, but if he somehow should fail he can always fall back to one week stage races. Has some potential there as well. Won the fourth GT after all. ;)

well this year he said he could have done much better in lbl but on the way to la redoute he lost his place in the peloton because he was alone and every1 else was helping piti. he was clearly strong because he raced from the back to the front and dropped guys like frank and henao over the roche aux faucons but couldn't bridge the gap to the main group where the winner came from and was swallowed by a big group on the flat btw the roche and saint nicolas.

he could use some more kick but has to use the weapons one is born with :eek:

and ofc he can win less contested one week races like romandie, the dauphine and suisse etc, so he is good either way imo.

maltiv said:

Nobody watched EBH, it's just that moment when two groups come together that guys like Voeckler and LLS use to slip away. And then everyone is watching each other.

theyoungest said:
Nobody watched EBH, it's just that moment when two groups come together that guys like Voeckler and LLS use to slip away. And then everyone is watching each other.
I don't know, a chase is never very effective when it's very obvious who's the best sprinter in the group. I mean, Gesink was third and Hesjedal 4th, not guys whom EBH would have problems beating in a sprint. Logically they'd be watching him to bring down the gap, because him going far too early would be their only way of winning the race in that situation (given that they were in fact trying to win).

TRENDING THREADS