• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Grand Prix Cycliste de Quebec/Montreal

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Richeypen said:
Wouldnt it just be better if I changed my name? Then I can keep the pic of Laura :D

Absolutely, just don't put Prince Harry there. See he was making the moves on her, asking her to watch the Olympic volleyball with him. Funny thing is she brought along her boyfriend to the date, Jason Kenney. Ha, ha!

maltiv said:
I go for C, Rabo-virus of flailing (whatever that is) :p

I just hope they give him the opportunities he deserves. There are a lot of dutch guys who are at about his level and I'm worried that nationalism will be more important than form when deciding who to ride for...

Not at all. Breschel had all the chances (but got injured). Renshaw had all the chances (but ****ed up himself).
Remember Menchov, Rasmussen etc all had their own chances (Leipheimer before that, etc).

So no, that's not the cause. Nordhaug might have to work for Gesink/Mollema etc in a GT. But definitely not in the Ardennes. Free role for sure. Might even get leader role.

disappointing race but the final worthed.
too bad that kolobnev didn't make it but at least we know who will finish second at the worlds

crazy power by nordhaug,you could see the lactic acid exploding from moser's legs.unexpected stuff,remembered me about gasparotto out-sprinting sagan on cauberg. shiit like this happens,that's why you gotta love pro cycling

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Knowing that EBH have never been competetive after 260k on a tough course, shouldn't Norway have LPN as their first rider at the worlds? Seeing this today and remembering how good he looked in AGR this year before his crash, I think they at least shouldn't waste LPN for EBH in the worlds.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Nice win. Let's not start hyping LPN as a favorite for the Ardennes though. ;)

Well he was on the winner's wheel before he crashed at Amstel and looking really good ;) Would have got Top 5 I believe at least from that moment.

He has potential, but yeah - shouldn't be as big favourite as Gilbert / Sagan obviosuly.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Falken said:
Knowing that EBH have never been competetive after 260k on a tough course, shouldn't Norway have LPN as their first rider at the worlds? Seeing this today and remembering how good he looked in AGR this year before his crash, I think they at least shouldn't waste LPN for EBH in the worlds.

EBH has won bigger races than this.

This is just a 200km race with a so so field. I'm still convinced the Vuelta guys will blow the rest away at the Worlds quite easily. Unless it becomes a tactical game.

Have you ever seen LPN in a Monument? I haven't.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Well he was on the winner's wheel before he crashed at Amstel and looking really good ;) Would have got Top 5 I believe at least from that moment.

He has potential, but yeah - shouldn't be as big favourite as Gilbert / Sagan obviosuly.

Sagan doesn't look all that well here.

El Pistolero said:

This is just a 200km race with a so so field. I'm still convinced the Vuelta guys will blow the rest away at the Worlds quite easily. Unless it becomes a tactical game.

He was 20th in LBL, which is the only monument he has done with a free role. In Amstel Gold race he was obviously up there fighting for the victory before he fell in the finale.

As for their tactic in worlds, it's already decided that Nordhaug will have a free role to go with the attacks, while EBH mainly will try to survive and hope for a sprint.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
He was 20th in LBL, which is the only monument he has done with a free role. In Amstel Gold race he was obviously up there fighting for the victory before he fell in the finale.

As for their tactic in worlds, it's already decided that Nordhaug will have a free role to go with the attacks, while EBH mainly will try to survive and hope for a sprint.

The Ardennes this year were the weakest field in a while with almost none of the big stars on form.

The AGR was very poorly raced on top of that.

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

Well, Nordhaug looked really strong in AGR this year. Has EBH looked better in a monument? I'm talking about who has the best chance of doing a good result in the Worlds: EBH or LPN, and I'm actually leaning towards LPN. EBH has failed in long and tough races too many times for me to trust that he will manage the 260k in the worlds this year.

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
maltiv said:

Ok, thanks for that.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Not at all. Breschel had all the chances (but got injured). Renshaw had all the chances (but ****ed up himself).
Remember Menchov, Rasmussen etc all had their own chances (Leipheimer before that, etc).

So no, that's not the cause. Nordhaug might have to work for Gesink/Mollema etc in a GT. But definitely not in the Ardennes. Free role for sure. Might even get leader role.
Good point, Rabobank haven't traditionally been nationalistic, I'll agree to that.

He's not a GT rider though, he lacks a bit in recovery and also tends to suffer in long mountains. Should be quite valuable for Gesink, though. We'll see.

maltiv said:
LPN sprints in the same fashion as fellow Ex-mountain biker Cadel Evans: he's not amongst the fastest, but he has a lot of power and can keep going "forever".

His stage win in Denmark this year was also from an uphill sprint.

I still think of the finish on the Ospedale. He had to work to close the gap in the last km, but Nocentini and Fedrigo beat him quite easily.

But maybe on a harder finish he is better.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
I still think of the finish on the Ospedale. He had to work to close the gap in the last km, but Nocentini and Fedrigo beat him quite easily.

But maybe on a harder finish he is better.

Nah, he just improved a lot this year. I don't know about his history, so I'm not going to guess why he has improved.

Just got back for the race, I'm disappointed. :( Although, seeing Nordhaug win was very impressive.

Falken said:
Btw, Montreal circut should suit Nordhaug better than the Quebec circut.
Congrats to Flaken for calling this on Friday, when some of us dismissed him. :eek:

Mellow Velo said:
Explains why Cineteq is such a miserable sod.:p
I'm watching you, I'm giving you a pass for now. :cool:

maltiv said:
I go for C, Rabo-virus of flailing (whatever that is) :p

I just hope they give him the opportunities he deserves. There are a lot of dutch guys who are at about his level and I'm worried that nationalism will be more important than form when deciding who to ride for...

Which is why I don't really understand his decision to leave Sky. He didn't need to worry about nationalism affecting his chances in the hilly classics because Sky don't have any Brits for those races (well maybe JTL if he joins). He mentioned something about riding the Tour but that shouldn't be a focus for a rider like him.

Anyway, great ride by him today.

TRENDING THREADS