• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 MLB Postseason and World Series Poll

Who will win the WS? (Vino is not an option)

• St. Louis Cardinals

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
There must be someone else here with an interest in the playoffs, shirley? If not, I'll just play by myself in the hope that the lowly Nats can win it all after beating the lowly O's in the first ever Beltway World Series.:cool:

The schedule, starting with today's WC playoffs -

Wild Card Schedule Series Date TV Time (ET)

Cardinals at Atlanta Braves Friday, October 5 TBS 5PM
Orioles at Texas Rangers Friday, October 5 TBS 8:30PM

American League Division Series Series Date TV Time (ET)

Yankees at Wild Card winner Sunday, October 7 TBS TBA
Yankees at Wild Card winner Monday, October 8 TBS TBA
Wild Card winner at Yankees Wednesday, October 10 TBS TBA
Wild Card winner at Yankees Thursday, October 11 TBS TBA
Wild Card winner at Yankees Friday, October 12 TBS TBA

American League Division Series Series Date TV Time (ET)

Athletics at Tigers Saturday, October 6 TBS 6PM
Athletics at Tigers Sunday, October 7 TBS TBA
Tigers at Athletics Tuesday, October 9 TBS TBA
Tigers at Athletics Wednesday, October 10 TBS TBA
Tigers at Athletics Thursday, October 11 TBS TBA

National League Division Series Series Date TV Time (ET)

Reds at Giants Saturday, October 6 TBS 9:30PM
Reds at Giants Sunday, October 7 TBS TBA
Giants at Reds Tuesday, October 9 TBS TBA
Giants at Reds Wednesday, October 10 TBS TBA
Giants at Reds Wednesday, October 11 TBS TBA

National League Division Series Series Date TV Time (ET)

Nationals at Wild Card winner Sunday, October 7 TBS TBA
Nationals at Wild Card winner Monday, October 8 TBS TBA
Wild Card winner at Nationals Wednesday, October 10 TBS TBA
Wild Card winner at Nationals Thursday, October 11 TBS TBA
Wild Card winner at Nationals Friday, October 12 TBS TBA

American League Championship Series Series Date TV Time (ET)

ALCS Game One Saturday, October 13 TBS TBA
ALCS Game Two Sunday, October 14 TBS TBA
ALCS Game Three Tuesday, October 16 TBS TBA
ALCS Game Four Wednesday, October 17 TBS TBA
ALCS Game Five* Thursday, October 18 TBS TBA
ALCS Game Six* Saturday, October 20 TBS TBA
ALCS Game Seven* Sunday, October 21 TBS TBA

National League Championship Series Series Date TV Time (ET)

NLCS Game One Sunday, October 14 FOX TBA
NLCS Game Two Monday, October 15 FOX TBA
NLCS Game Three Wednesday, October 17 FOX TBA
NLCS Game Four Thursday, October 18 FOX TBA
NLCS Game Five* Friday, October 19 FOX TBA
NLCS Game Six* Sunday, October 21 FOX TBA
NLCS Game Seven* Monday, October 22 FOX TBA

2012 World Series Series Date Match-Up TV Time (ET)

Game One Wednesday, October 24 AL Champion at NL Champion FOX TBA
Game Two Thursday, October 25 AL Champion at NL Champion FOX TBA
Game Three Saturday, October 27 NL Champion at AL Champion FOX TBA
Game Four Sunday, October 28 NL Champion at AL Champion FOX TBA
Game Five* Monday, October 29 NL Champion at AL Champion FOX TBA
Game Six* Wednesday, October 31 AL Champion at NL Champion FOX TBA
Game Seven* Thursday, November 1 AL Champion at NL Champion FOX TBA

* if necessary

ESPN's predictions - http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8457479/mlb-espn-predicts-postseason

Bleacher report's handicapping odds - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...layoff-teams-odds-of-winning-the-world-series

i can say without fear of any doubt, this post season is going to be a good one.
the 2 wild card games were great as was the season, thais in spite of the Dodgers and Angels coming up short. still have 2 california teams in the hunt.
i like the A's, my wife...Giants.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I appreciate the support, Alpe and Zam.;)

Expecting some serious Natitude tonight!:D

This season, six of the remaining eight teams won 93 to 98 games — all very good, but little to choose among them. I’ve found only one stunning outlier factor. With their lineup finally healthy, the Nats hit 104 home runs after the all-star break compared to 63, 76 and 52for the Cardinals, Reds and Giants. That’s a huge gap. Against the best pitchers, the one-swing offense is the best solution in the playoffs.

Perhaps more important, the Nats have the right pitcher set to start Games 1 and, if necessary, 5. Gio Gonzalez has pitched only one complete-game shutout in his career. It was against the Cardinals five weeks ago (the only time he’s ever faced them). Gonzalez has the lowest batting-average-against of anyone in MLB and swing-and-miss stuff is golden in playoffs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...1ebe-0ff5-11e2-a180-7d0c112201c9_story_1.html

what a catch!!!

Amsterhammer, we are in Scotland next week and i'm back to the states in november... if there's any way to get our bums up to Amsterdam in-between, we'll be there!

someone desperately needs to explain the love of this game to my scottish boyfriend (i seem to be a failure at it and he's driving me mad).

here's hoping your Nats win because i know my red birds' luck can't hold out.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Yankees fan... but would like to see the Nats go all the way... to be beaten 4-3 in the decider! :D Even though I'm still flummoxed by their bizarre decision to shut-down Stephen Strasburg???? Only in America :confused:

I think that decision got debated once a week for the last six months on ESPN and the radio. If they lose, expect it to be highly scrutinized, if they win, it's genius. I personally don't understand why they didn't move him to middle relief and have him pitch one inning a week in August, then give him one or two starts before the post season with a 5 inning leash, and the 4th starter in the playoffs, but what do I know?

Bummed the A's couldn't pull game 2 out, but Detroit looks quite good - great starting pitching, a triple crown winner, and experience.

Glad to see the Orioles win game two.

Hope the Giants can pull back with the Reds, but I don't know. Cain losing game 1 hurt. Of course losing Melky hurt most. Amusing all the Twitter tweets congratulating him on winning the triple crown! :eek:

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
thirteen said:
what a catch!!!

Amsterhammer, we are in Scotland next week and i'm back to the states in november... if there's any way to get our bums up to Amsterdam in-between, we'll be there!

someone desperately needs to explain the love of this game to my scottish boyfriend (i seem to be a failure at it and he's driving me mad).

here's hoping your Nats win because i know my red birds' luck can't hold out.

There you are! I even tried to attract your attention by PM....

Game 3, with all to play for, starts live on ESPN in less than three hours!;)

I was delighted to see the Giants and A's pull one back to extend their series. Watched the Giants game and was seriously impressed with Homer Bailey's pitching for the Reds.

My ESPN is showing all four games!:eek: I hope to make it till at least halfway through the O's game....though this marathon may require stimulants.:p

edit - Alpe, can you please remove Texas and Atlanta from the poll and insert Vino instead? Thanks.

I couldn't use Vino because there's a maximum of 10 options.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Actually, I can edit it, but I can't change the poll. None the less, Vino probably wouldn't have sat Strasburg.

Not even an admin can edit poll options?:rolleyes: Pfft....

Absolutely, Vino would have had him starting game 1!

I have to admit that the Cards have outplayed the Nats in all departments - our starters and our bats have let us down badly so far. But since it is one of the bizarre givens of this game that form can turn 180 degrees overnight, as witnessed by the Giant's and A's revivals, I live in hope that the real Nats will turn up tonight and take it to a game 5.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Jesus, that was a cliffhanger! Some serious Natitude shown tonight to take us to game 5. Our batting still didn't turn up apart from two good swings, but our pitchers earned this walk-off!

Phew.

Amsterhammer said:
Jesus, that was a cliffhanger! Some serious Natitude shown tonight to take us to game 5. Our batting still didn't turn up apart from two good swings, but our pitchers earned this walk-off!

Phew.
thought of you last night!

i probably should have come here to congratulate you, rather than getting cranky at a newbie in another thread -- my bad :eek:

it's been a pita to listen to my boyfriend b*tch about baseball (and compare it unfavourably to cricket :rolleyes:) when i just want to enjoy, but it's been worth it. great games! and i'm hoping for another tonight.

allez vino!

If the Grays, I mean Senators, I mean Nationals escape this one, I'll be shocked.

The Orioles-Yankees come down to one game, how fitting. If Baltimore can get to Sabbatia at all, they should be able to win. But a big if.

I have to like Detroit's chances against anyone right now. The way Verlander stopped the A's last night was something. And they seem healthy, and playing well across the board.

Game 1 between Detroit and NYY was something. The Tigers just about blew it, and Leyland would have been the goat having put Valverde out there to hang. But his team showed great resilience in coming back and winning like they did. Jeter breaking his ankle like that was tough to watch. I'm no Yankee fan, but why couldn't it have been ARod?! You can't help but think Jeter was already quite hurt, but gritted it out until the ankle finally completely broke.

I have to admit, the simply fact that they pulled Strasburg not only has to be the primary reason the Nationals lost, it's sort of just. And it has to now play a huge psyche on the team as a whole, and all their fans. It's going to go done as one of the biggest "what if's" in baseball lore.

Hoping to see the Giants take out the Cardinals. Really liked the way SF has pulled together.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Game 1 between Detroit and NYY was something. The Tigers just about blew it, and Leyland would have been the goat having put Valverde out there to hang. But his team showed great resilience in coming back and winning like they did. Jeter breaking his ankle like that was tough to watch. I'm no Yankee fan, but why couldn't it have been ARod?! You can't help but think Jeter was already quite hurt, but gritted it out until the ankle finally completely broke.

I have to admit, the simply fact that they pulled Strasburg not only has to be the primary reason the Nationals lost, it's sort of just. And it has to now play a huge psyche on the team as a whole, and all their fans. It's going to go done as one of the biggest "what if's" in baseball lore.

Hoping to see the Giants take out the Cardinals. Really liked the way SF has pulled together.

They are going to need to intentionally walk ibanez if he comes up again in NY and the game is on the line. That effing rightfield wall is a joke at yankee stadium.

Alpe d'Huez said:

I am totally gutted about the Reds collapse. Now I know how Mets and Red Sox fans feel (not to mention the Rangers) and It. Is. Not. Good. It should be the Reds instead of the Giants and they ought to be playing the Nats. All of the excitement is just about gone from this postseason for me. The usual suspects are still playing, afaic. blah blah blah ....

A-Rod not performing, Jeter done with broken ankle. It will be tough row to hoe for Yanks to take the series vs Detroit.

How about this: A-Rod benched, and Yanks make it to ALCS. A-Rod reinserted in the lineup, and Yanks lose as he goes OH-for-3 at bats (yeup, only 3 at bats cos NY put in a pinch hitter for him in his last 3 would-be at bats). So why did NY manager get a pinch hitter for A-Rod in the first game vs Detroit. Let's see: A-Rod 1st at bat... ground out to short, FC (force out at 2nd base); 2nd at bat ground out into double play; 3rd at bat struck out; no walks; on base % = 0.000. The pinch hitter ended up with an on base % of 0.000 too, but at least he gave them a shot.

So, will the Yanks jetison A-Rod before the start of the next season?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I have only today finally made it out of the utter depression and shock that I sustained when the Nats lost that game that they had already won.....:confused:

I have no real preference between the Cards and Giants, but am beginning to believe that Verlander will win it all for the Tigers. I rejoice at the continuing abject and humiliating failure of the Yankees, and look forward to them being swept 4-0 after scoring only one run in four games!:D

As for A-Rod, it couldn't be happening to a bigger pr!ck, wonderful. I have seen the suggestion that he may go the Marlins, though surely any team would be mad to pick up his insane contract.

TRENDING THREADS