• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tirreno-Adriatico Stage 6: Offida-Offida 181km

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
maltiv said:
Good to see Sagan redeeming himself. Nibali won't be angry at him anymore after today.

TourOfSardinia said:
Sagan repaid Nibs today.

scullster46 said:
Sagan definitely paying Nibali back there

Terrific job by Sagan, today, as devoted domestique par excellence.
He's put Nibs in with a great shout of taking the overall, tomorrow.
6 seconds bonus may not sound much, but over 9kms, when their isn't much to choose between the protagonisti, could make all the difference.
Granpa Horner will need a double shot of beetroot juice expresso and his Pais Vasco form of last year, if he is to hold onto the top slot.

Frankly, after all that time out, first race back and his age, he's amazing.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Horner will win Terrino-Adratico at 20-25 seconds on RK, Nibali at 30.
Horner 3rd in the on day tomorrow. He looks fresh. WT racing is beating up the ranks.

wild guess:D

Parrulo said:
i would say they are equally talented riders, with gesink being the better climber and nibali a better rider for the classics and about equal time trialists
Gesink was already 3d in Amstel at age 22. What's Nibali's best result in a classic?

Anyway, the Dutchie of the day is of course Wout Poels. With a leadout by Devolder, I thought I'd seen everything... hope he stays ahead of Meyer in the TT, don't think so though. Meyer's minute headstart from the TTT is definitely paying off.

theyoungest said:
Gesink was already 3d in Amstel at age 22. What's Nibali's best result in a classic?

Anyway, the Dutchie of the day is of course Wout Poels. With a leadout by Devolder, I thought I'd seen everything... hope he stays ahead of Meyer in the TT, don't think so though. Meyer's minute headstart from the TTT is definitely paying off.
If we go by early promise, then Nibali is a vastly superior time-trialist compared to Gesink. But right now that doesn't seem to be the case anymore, does it? Same with the classics. You know, in theory. I wouldn't completely agree with Parrulo, though, although I'd rate Nibali above Gesink in certain classics where tactics are more important.

Regardless, Nibali has been top 10 in Lombardy, Liege and MSR. Not bad at all.

Nibali lost alot of weight to get better in uphill (and he has clearly improved there), so that could have worsened his tt skill (which were not that good to begin with).
This year he had alot of training in tt (aero, positioning, tecnique), let's see if it payd off or not.
I wouldn't try any prediction, they are too close, and the chrono is too short, anything can happen.

Sure Nibali has been the more attacking rider, even if he was forced too being many seconds back.

lo squalo indeed.

422928_287592411309597_108454185890088_699390_1196927983_n.jpg

theyoungest said:

gesink hasn't delivered nor performed on a classic in a long time tho, while nibali has had some nice performances on the last few years with attacking riding and good placings in monuments like MSR and GdL and some decent performances in LBL as well

Parrulo said:
gesink hasn't delivered nor performed on a classic in a long time tho, while nibali has had some nice performances on the last few years with attacking riding and good placings in monuments like MSR and GdL and some decent performances in LBL as well

to be fair, Lombardia has always been the race best suited to his abilities, and he missed it two times in a row due to unlucky circumstances

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Haha, it's questionable enough when a big star takes a race like TA as mere training, but Vanendert?

Why wouldn't he? T-A IS a training race for most. Ardennes classics are so much more important. It's not like he can win T-A, so why bother. If you can win these races, but use them as training instead, that's more questionable in my opinion.

You fail to understand that for Vanendert a win in FW means a lot more than T-A.

Pippo_San said:
Gesink: http://www.cyclingarchives.com/coureurfiche.php?coureurid=15061

Nibbles: http://www.cyclingarchives.com/coureurfiche.php?coureurid=13069

Take the palmares and compare. Right now Nibbles is the best rider of the two, by a whole lot.
These are FACTS. Everything else doesn't mean **** (and I have a soft spot for the Rabobus :p)
I think Dekker_T added "if he stays upright". I.e. in a purely hypothetical fairy tale world. Nobody's going to argue that whatever Gesink has won outweighs a Vuelta and two Giro podiums.

hrotha said:
Haha, it's questionable enough when a big star takes a race like TA as mere training, but Vanendert?
Are you questioning the great Jelle's star quality?

hrotha said:
If we go by early promise, then Nibali is a vastly superior time-trialist compared to Gesink. But right now that doesn't seem to be the case anymore, does it? Same with the classics. You know, in theory. I wouldn't completely agree with Parrulo, though, although I'd rate Nibali above Gesink in certain classics where tactics are more important.

Regardless, Nibali has been top 10 in Lombardy, Liege and MSR. Not bad at all.
Actually no. At age 22 Gesink was already 10th in the Olympics time trial and at age 21 already 5th in a Pais Vasco TT. So even there. No.

If anything, everything at early age was done better by Gesink. Everything at age 25+ was done better by Nibali (mainly because Gesink kept falling).

El Pistolero said:
Why wouldn't he? T-A IS a training race for most. Ardennes classics are so much more important. It's not like he can win T-A, so why bother. If you can win these races, but use them as training instead, that's more questionable in my opinion.

You fail to understand that for Vanendert a win in FW means a lot more than T-A.
Of course winning FW would be more important to him, but it's not like sacrificing TA will mean he'll be a top favourite for FW or like his palmares has so many victories he can start choosing, is it? Vandendert couldn't win TA, but he could win a stage.

TRENDING THREADS