• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour de France: Stage 5: Rouen → Saint-Quentin (196.5km)

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Froome19 said:
From the sprints he did at ATOC they were all perfect and his positioning was immense, yet here he has been disappointing, probably due to the much higher intensity which the sprints are races at, right now he is probably below the above 3 and above most others maybe just below Goss as well bue on par with Ale Jet etc.

There have been five days of road racing. Sagan has won 2, Greipel 2, and Cav 1. Very disappointing for Sagan. :rolleyes:

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Rechtschreibfehler said:
Sagen came in 6th and 5th plus crashed out of one. How on earth is this supposed to be disappointing? He has no real leadout, exept for Oss and also he's not a pure sprinter so those results are pretty pretty good.

Besides, even comparing those sprints to the ones in California is, well, interesting.

I was talking about his positioning...

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Rechtschreibfehler said:
Sure, I did get that. But you know, those are GT Sprints. The fights are much tougher, you need experience and usually a good guy to get you into position.
Do you expect Sagan to be at Zabels or Freires level when it comes to positioning at that age?

Froome19 said:
From the sprints he did at ATOC they were all perfect and his positioning was immense, yet here he has been disappointing, probably due to the much higher intensity which the sprints here are raced at, right now he is probably below the above 3 and above most others maybe just below Goss as well bue on par with Ale Jet etc.

Yep that is what I said.

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Veelers

Tom Veelers is riding very agreesivelly - in the 2nd stage he several times hit Sagan in the last 200 meters. Today it was between Farrar and him. Good job from Greipel not falling down, Sagan almost, but flying bike from Farrar shut him down :) Otherwise 3rd win funny celebration today ... I expect that Sunday stage could suit him - so let's see ...

goggalor said:
From the comments: "2 days ago vaughters ren over a dutch sound engineers leg.. But he couldnt care less, not even after they came back to have a word with hem."

Anyone have the full story?

Alan Piper was driving - he seemed slightly more upset - JV was being a tool about it.

It does not matter who is at fault - if you run someone over you shown at least some concern.

TatryTour2013 said:
Tom Veelers is riding very agreesivelly - in the 2nd stage he several times hit Sagan in the last 200 meters. Today it was between Farrar and him. Good job from Greipel not falling down, Sagan almost, but flying bike from Farrar shut him down :) Otherwise 3rd win funny celebration today ... I expect that Sunday stage could suit him - so let's see ...

Lol Veelers is just holding Koen de Korts wheel. Farrar wants to come in between but Veelers doesn't let him, logically. Frustrating Farrar because he can't sprint anymore lol.

Froome19 said:
Yep that is what I said.

My bad. My attention level fell once I read "disappointing" in relation to the ToC sprints.
So, since you are aware of that - and you don't make an unknowledgeble impression alltogether - how do you still find his performances disappointing. Knowing his age and this is his first Tour de France and only second Grand Tour?

TatryTour2013 said:

You know, that was a stage Greipel did win. What makes you think something like this can be won by Sagan?

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Rechtschreibfehler said:
My bad. My attention level fell once I read "disappointing" in relation to the ToC sprints.
So, since you are aware of that - and you don't make an unknowledgeble impression alltogether - how do you still find his performances disappointing. Knowing his age and this is his first Tour de France and only second Grand Tour?

Because his positioning has been poor, of course he will be more experienced with age but from what he had hinted at the Vuelta and ATOC amongst other races I would have expected him to have better awareness and positional skills.

Of course you are right that he will improve that with experience and he is still young but I still would have thought he would have better positioning than what he has demonstrated as of yet.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
JRanton said:
That's a pretty big call. What makes you so confident about that?

I'm not the only one who has stated as much, I've just done it more often to counter the hyped up talk of a Sky train. Especially after the weak Dauphine.

Rogers is a decent rider. Good chrono, decent climber. But thats in week long races. Same with Porte. In GT's and they have done a few, they have been lacklustre. Seriously banking on history mysteriously not following the patterns it has, let alone in a 3 week GT where the racing is harder and recovery plays a big part in your fatigue levels day in day out, is asking for too much. History says on Froome will be there. If Richie Porte wasn't there for Alberto Contador, what makes anyone here think it will be different for Bradley Wiggins? Only fanboy non-sense does.

Think about it this way. Which teams in the past two years have had big climbers and strong domestiques in the Grand Tours? Only a few. Wiggins wasn't one of those strong climbers. Nor were his domestiques...case can be made for Froome though. Actually nobody on there team has actually measured up against the big names climbing. Sure AC and Andy Schleck aren't here, but there are some strong climbers. Even stronger domestiques.

Take Liquigas. They brought Szymd and Basso to help Nibali. RSNT has Maxime Monfort, Chris Horner, Zubeldia on top of Franck Schleck and Andreas Kloden. Rabobank has Mollema, Kruisjwik and Gesink. Movistar have Kirienka, Costa, Cobo and finally Valverde. Garmin have multiple top 10 GC finishers, the winner of the Giro and also what I think is a very in form Dan Martin. Oh and Lotto have Vanendert and van den Broecke. Evans has TJVG and a throng of guys who HAVE not put a foot wrong so far and will help him. All of them have more promise and pedigree than Sky. I also didn't mention Samu and Euskatel nor Europcar and their man Rolland. Also the Russian's at Katusha.

Take their efforts OVER 3 weeks in the past. When on form, they are clearly superior than Porte and Rogers. As I said, Froome IMO is the only guarantee. It would take a Clinic-esque turn around for that to change. No team was ever going to have a train pulling at the front day in and day out breaking everyone in the mountains. That's the hype and garbage I've been countering for weeks now here. There will be a number of fights. Big heavy days when the guys start punching, the only reason lower domestiques are in the front bunch is because they are going slower. Rogers and Porte will be dropped a lot. The Train was a myth. Come the final mountain on the hard days everyone seriously races, with the riders at the front select niche group, it will be Wiggins and/or Froome. The rest of Sky will be next to useless at that point.

WOW...just finished watching the stage! Greipel unclipped miraculously gets around fallen rider and goes on for the win!! Chapeau that was quite a demonstration of agility, prowess and strength!

Off to the clinic that should be buzzing today!!

TRENDING THREADS