• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour de France: Stage 5: Rouen → Saint-Quentin (196.5km)

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Arnout said:
Sprinters are in the GC-rider blame mode again on Twitter. Funnily enough it's always a sprinter causing the crash...

Do tell. I don't follow twitter as I think it's for twits. Cyclists convinced me of that years ago.

Any names being blamed and by whom would be good!:)

Greipel doing a great performance- very well deserved victory.

sorry if I keep bothering with this, but What the fvck is going on with Goss? to me he's a different rider from the HTC days-I mean-no power, & worst of all-no tactics -If he had a cellphone to text Greipel & Cav that he was going to attack around the corner-he would have done it....damn!!!

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Rechtschreibfehler said:
Well, I was asking how this opinion was justified. Repeating the opinion is not an answer to that question though. ;)

Because of he is by faaaar strongest in this type of finishes. Today this was too much for pure sprinters - comparing to him and it also looked that Liquigas offered some support for him today - which is not happening everyday. He would kick in the last corner and get another easy win. But - nevermind - this is not about what would happen if ... Let's see tomorrow - hopefully we see Greipel winning against full competion. Then he can proove that he is realy the best. For now he won 2 stages - but each witout main contenter for the win. Another Sagan stage will be on Sunday - but Liquigas will need to chase break for the first time this Tour to win.

jens_attacks said:
boring talking.........
someone please with a stage to planche de belles filles thread.

pic274139903_600.jpg

oh boy.he's coming to the party.

damn- Saturday seems so far away !!!!:(

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Wow great job by Greipel at both avoiding the crash (actually, stomping on Farrar's face with his left foot and pushing off -- i can't imagine having all of Greipel's weight shoved down at me with a biking shoe) and then probably the adrenaline helped with the win for sure.

To be honest this wasnt Farrar's fault ...I see the Lampre rider just veered into Farrar's front wheel, causing it to turn and voila, you go down. I suppose the Lampre rider could take a page out of the ferrari book and claim "I dont care about anyone behind me" but maybe Farrar was a bit distracted at the time...

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
TatryTour2013 said:
Because of he is by faaaar strongest in this type of finishes. Today this was too much for pure sprinters - comparing to him and it also looked that Liquigas offered some support for him today - which is not happening everyday. He would kick in the last corner and get another easy win. But - nevermind - this is not about what would happen if ... Let's see tomorrow - hopefully we see Greipel winning against full competion. Then he can proove that he is realy the best. For now he won 2 stages - but each witout main contenter for the win. Another Sagan stage will be on Sunday - but Liquigas will need to chase break for the first time this Tour to win.

and btw. Gorilla can thank Sagan and his master handling for today's win - S. managed to hold the big man upright once G. was pushed to him, sadly, G. was too heavy so S. went down

http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/5560

Froome19 said:
Yep you are right just watched the recording..

Looking at Cav's sprint he opened up so early due to his bad positioning that it was really a case of damage limitation, he came back strongly and if he had been level with Greipel he may have won but he was sprinting a long way before Greipel was. I short this was a major fail on Sky's part especially as you think they would have managed to work out something when training. Seriously in the sprint itself it is easy to get swamped and fail but to miscalculate and leave Cav and EbH by themselves for 1.5km is just ridiculous.

Sky's work on the front was pretty much all about keeping Bradley out of trouble until 3km. The train dissipated thereafter, not that long after the crash. They also succeeded in keeping Cav clear of crashes, unlike yesterday, but there was not really any intent on delivering him to the line with a few hundred metres to go.

Brailsford:

"We decided today to make a zero risk strategy. The way we rode is the best way to keep Brad out of trouble and increase his chances of winning.

"If you are even a little bit hesitant, thinking you will just wait and hover, you are going to get in trouble."

"Mark probably started a bit too far back on the final sprint but, given that he crashed yesterday, credit to him that he even wanted to go again."

http://www.sportinglife.com/other-sports/news/article/2/7870756/greipel-to-the-fore-again

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
JeanRobic said:
Exactly. Wasn't the Lampre rider Petacchi? Sure looked like number 47 in the overhead view.

That was my take as well, but Farrar might have avoided the contact, but it seemed like he got off balance. He over reacted to the Lampre move.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Pretty much what I have been saying. Makes no difference anyway. Only Froome was ever going to be there in the high mountain stages.

Sky actually did a good job. However having EBH at the front with 1.5km to go wasn't smart. Probably more just an unfortunate effect of positioning at the time and jostling. Based on what I saw, of the guys contesting the sprint, Cav was about the 5th fastest today. Goss had the quickest acceleration, but Greipel maintained the highest overall power output, thus he got past goss in the last 40-50m.

Greipel isn't doing anything wrong. Goss finally after two days of mix-ups, looks like he has it figured out. Should make future stuff interesting.

cav produced the best sprint by a big margin.

hfer07 said:
Greipel doing a great performance- very well deserved victory.

sorry if I keep bothering with this, but What the fvck is going on with Goss? to me he's a different rider from the HTC days-I mean-no power, & worst of all-no tactics -If he had a cellphone to text Greipel & Cav that he was going to attack around the corner-he would have done it....damn!!!

To be honest, I've always thought that Goss reputation in mass sprints has only been hype not backed by a lot at all. The guy didn't win a lot in his carreer and if I do remember correctly he never even came close doing so against top sprint competition. Where the Idea comes from that he's super fast, I have no clue. Of course he won Milan-San Remo but besides this, there hasn't been a great vitory I can think of. And looking up his 2010 and 2011 seasons on CQ didn't help me knowing this either. Or did I overlook something?

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
That was my take as well, but Farrar might have avoided the contact, but it seemed like he got off balance. He over reacted to the Lampre move.

Don't know what Farrar is thinking regarding Veelers. Petacchi moved over and Farrar had no where to go (except a light touch of the brakes, which is not recommended). He went down when his front wheel touched Petachi's bike.

His tubular came off the rim quick fast, too. Needs more glue. :D

TatryTour2013 said:

I don't see how this wasn't a stage for the pure sprinters, of course it the road did go a little bit uphill at the end, but those kind of stages finishes have been won by pure sprinters very very very very often. Didn't even McEwen win on the same route?

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Thibaut Pinot said:
Anyone care to translate what Rein says about Veelers/Farrar on his blog? Might be useful info.

http://blog.paf.com/ratta-rambo/

I'll just translate the whole blog while I'm at it:

Today you could make a copy paste from yesterday's blog. The stage was about the same length, only 20km shorter - 198km. No wind and it was easy. Like a restday. In the end you had to be in front to avoid any falls. Thanks to the team I managed it like I needed to. 3,2km there was a crash, I luckily avoided it. Then we had to really go hard to get the group with the other mountain guys because the crash was 200m from the 3km line. By the rules, the riders who crash before the 3km line, don't get the same time as the winner, but since the crash was near to it, they still gave it. Nothing else to really talk about, we managed to avoid the rain. Right now we're driving to the hotel with in the bus and it's pouring. Lucky us!

Couple of facts about Farrar, who organized the crash yesterday and today. Last year he caused the crash, where Wiggins broke his collarbone. I usually try to avoid those definite-crashers like him. After the race Tyler looked for Veelers and yelled in the parking lot, but you can clearly see from the video, who is the one to blame for.

Today I got lucky, I've been lucky for 6 days already. I only need to get away with tomorrow, the last day of the first week and it's gets more exciting for me after that. Wish me lucky for tomorrow so all the s*** would go past me. With meters or millimeters, I don't care. The main thing is that they would go past me.

TRENDING THREADS