• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour de France: Stage 8: Belfort → Porrentruy (157.5km)

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Shame the cameras cut away from Evans attack.

Just before you could see Froome look round to Wiggins, who then started to move to the front; 20 seconds later you see Wiggins on the front and 90 seconds later you see it all back together with Wiggins and Evans together at the back.

Intrigued to know how quickly/easily/slowly/difficultly the gap was closed.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
What the difference is:
Yesterday, 2x 3rd category climbs before the finish
Today, 4x 2nd category climbs, a 3rd and a 4th category climb before that final climb.

Proof, if proof were needed, that multi-climb stages are what we need more than one-climb Vuelta specials.

Well fortunately there are still a few multi climb stages left, eventhough they may be poorly designed and few.

It's also hopeful that guys like JvdB want to attack when the last climb is 16km from the finish btw.

Let's hope they ride all the multi climb mountain stages like today :)

Logic-is-your-friend said:
A French guy was winning the stage. Whatever happens for GC then seizes to be relevant for a French TV director.

Oh come on and shut up with that "Frenchist chauvinism is French" attitude that literally the whole world seems to have. Every race in every country shows the winner crossing the line above everything else, don't act like it is a French thing to do today.

Arnout said:
Since 2003, actually.

Give me three examples of stages where they didn't show the stage winner crossing the line with his hands in the air, because something else was happening and I will shut up.

Well, me since 88. And it's no secret that French TV will rather show some 3rd rate French guy do something remotely interesting instead of showing where the action is or showing what's important. But i'm not getting into any games over it. I think what was happening in the GC group was more interesting than Madiot acting like a baboon, but that's just me. While entertaining, that's something that could easily be shown after the first riders crossed the finishline.

Well, me since 88. And it's no secret that French TV will rather show some 3rd rate French guy do something remotely interesting instead of showing where the action is or showing what's important. But i'm not getting into any games over it. I think what was happening in the GC group was more interesting than Madiot acting like a baboon, but that's just me. While entertaining, that's something that could easily be shown after the first riders crossed the finishline.

Agree. Evans jumps 20 meters, gets reeled in. Thats not big news.

Congrats to Pinot- a great win for the youngest rider in the race. What i am really impressed with is the fact he kept his gap on the descent and flats as well. I liked Madiots' celebrations.

Gallopin and Kessiakoff were also very brave congrats to them.

For the GC contenders i think it is a prelude of what is to come. The descent was not that hard/ wet so i expect to see more attacks on descents. It was nice to see JVDB and Evans clip off the front as well.
Froome looked bad on the climb but did work for Wiggins well and dissuaded Evans from attacking more.

"Like you said: It's just you" the rest of us probably enjoy any winner and don't bother much with whiners

Isn't the Tour a French race :rolleyes: And btw, Madiot acting as a baboon as you said was very important part of this stage. It's part of the story telling, if you know what that means...

Who do you think they will show in the Tour of Belgium or some Tour in America? Sometimes you are very illogic :D

Dedelou said:
"Like you said: It's just you" the rest of us probably enjoy any winner and don't bother much with whiners

Then why bother responding. Who's whining now?

And i didn't say it's just me, lol. And as others pointed out, it obviously isn't just me.

cineteq said:
Isn't the Tour a French race :rolleyes: And btw, Madiot acting as a baboon as you said was very important part of this stage. It's part of the story telling, if you know what that means...

Who do you think they will show in the Tour of Belgium or some Tour in America? Sometimes you are very illogic :D

Isn't it a French race is hardly the right question to ask yourself. It's a race in France, open to all nationalities. If the French don't like that last part, let's see how popular it will be with only French riders. And oh no, is it part of the story telling? Yeah, that's very touching *whipes tear* but hardly important when the GC contenders are for the first time attacking each other. Like i said, that could easily be broadcast after the first riders crossed the finishline.

And i'm illogic for saying that TV broadcasting of a French race shouldn't favor a French rider, when this race is broadcast in dozens of countries around the world and dozens of nationalities are participating? That's illogic? lol... This is not the same as a commentator cheering for a compatriot. And it's been a while since i watched the snorefest of Belgium, but the Belgian classics do not make the same distinction. This really shouldn't be any different than broadcasting the Olympics or a WC soccer/football.

And to be VERY clear, this is really not about today's stage. It's something that has been going on for decades, not only in the TDF, but in other French races as well.

Last i'm going to say about it.

In soccer there is 22 players on a small field. Compare that to at the start of this TDF 198 probably spread out by 15km or so by the end of the first stage.

I think the Television wanted to capture the winners face so, average cycling fans know who won/ as you say he is French. The attack by Cadel/ JVDB was shown but it was on the flat/ they had time to show if any gaps would be created from Cadel and JVDB to the others as Pinot had a big gap. I however do understand your point that you want to see bird eye views of the gaps ( Geelong 2010 WC was annoying as they gave no indication the peleton was catching up to Evans/ Moorenhout... ) but i enjoyed seeing Pinot win today.

In Soccer and Olympics there are different matches/ schedules for events and as i said it is easier to view.

greenedge said:
In soccer there is 22 players on a small field. Compare that to at the start of this TDF 198 probably spread out by 15km or so by the end of the first stage.

I think the Television wanted to capture the winners face so, average cycling fans know who won/ as you say he is French. The attack by Cadel/ JVDB was shown but it was on the flat/ they had time to show if any gaps would be created from Cadel and JVDB to the others as Pinot had a big gap. I however do understand your point that you want to see bird eye views of the gaps ( Geelong 2010 WC was annoying as they gave no indication the peleton was catching up to Evans/ Moorenhout... ) but i enjoyed seeing Pinot win today.

In Soccer and Olympics there are different matches/ schedules for events and as i said it is easier to view.

Sure, but my point was favoring one over the other. In soccer you show the action, regardles of which team/country is in posession (hometeam or not). If a Brittish athlete is in third last place in the 10.000m in London, i assume they will show the guys battling it out in the front, even though the Olympics are in England. But again, i was making a general statement, not so much on the stagewin of Pinot. If there ever was an excuse to shoot a French guy instead of the GC action, it would be this. Yet far too many times do they focus on some random French guy getting dropped in the peleton while more important riders are either also getting dropped, or making the pace in the front. Or stuff like showing a random French guy in the 3rd peleton getting a flat tire in Paris-Roubaix, while the race is breaking open in the front. Stuff like this actually happens.

And i'm illogic for saying that TV broadcasting of a French race shouldn't favor a French rider, when this race is broadcast in dozens of countries around the world and dozens of nationalities are participating? That's illogic? lol...
Whoa!!! Next time I'll make sure I don't mention the work *logic* or *illogic* in my replies to you, that really sends you postal, doesn't it? :D

And to be VERY clear, this is really not about today's stage. It's something that has been going on for decades, not only in the TDF, but in other French races as well.
Did you watch Tour of California? :rolleyes: