• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour of Britain (9th - 16th September)

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
So can Leigh Howard hang in there tomorrow? There's a long run in from the last climb and he could easily win the stage creating a nightmare scenario for us JTL fans.

Howard has impressed on these hills and has obviously made good progress since leaving the track earlier in the year and returning to road racing full time. After a stint at Tour of California and some pretty reasonable results against Sagan, he has mainly been doing lead outs for Kroupis with some success. So great to see him get some freedom to contest for the GC. With Hepburn and Bobridge very strong riders but lacking the longer road endurance since the Olympics and Kroupis who has been sick, his work is going to be cut out for him. Lancaster withdrawing (11 stitches in his knee after his crash) means it will mainly be up to Howard to hang on as best he can. Kroupis could be the key if his health is improving and he can handle the hills to come. There are intermediate points available as well as the finish points. Here are Howard's thoughts;

“There was nothing I could have done to go harder up the climb when Tiernan-Locke attacked,” said Howard. “He’s a better climber than pretty much everyone at the race, and his attack was expected. All I could do once he made his move was go as hard I could and limit my losses.”

“After what I was able to do today, I’m certainly going to try and get back into the jersey before the end of the race,” Howard said. “It’s going to be a tough ask, but I need to try. The finish of tomorrow’s stage is similar to today although it’s hard to tell by the profile exactly how hard the climbs in the final will be. If I could pick up bonus seconds at the intermediate sprints and on the finish line, it’s certainly possible to regain the jersey.”

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
JTL should be in Command today and take a bit more Time.. Pretty Brutal riding around Devon, Dartmoor... Mind You if It rains Tomorrow as Forecast and its Still Close . Could be a Nail Biter Finish.

TRENDING THREADS