• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour of Britain (9th - 16th September)

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Great race today.

However, it shows a lack of respect to not interview todays stage winner and also ignore him when he was leading the KOM the other . Why has ITV 4 not employed a spanish speaking commentator or translator to interview Spanish speaking riders? On the continent, host countries make the effort to speak to english only speaking riders. ( I am assuming the lack of interview is based on his lack of english, rather than just being ignored because he is Spanish.)

I am sure I am not the only one who would appreciate a pre race interview with the ex Olympic Champion and his view on ToB, and his recovery from injury. Also Basso, a GT winner was worth a longer interview than a brief couple of sentences the other day.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Normandy said:
Great race today.

However, it shows a lack of respect to not interview todays stage winner and also ignore him when he was leading the KOM the other . Why has ITV 4 not employed a spanish speaking commentator or translator to interview Spanish speaking riders? On the continent, host countries make the effort to speak to english only speaking riders. ( I am assuming the lack of interview is based on his lack of english, rather than just being ignored because he is Spanish.)

I am sure I am not the only one who would appreciate a pre race interview with the ex Olympic Champion and his view on ToB, and his recovery from injury. Also Basso, a GT winner was worth a longer interview than a brief couple of sentences the other day.

Ordinarily they employ Matt Rendell who is fluent in many, many languages..

Normandy said:
Great race today.

There were interviews taken after the stage with both Sanchez and Urtasun but I agree it's a shame they weren't shown on television.

From the official site: http://www.tourofbritain.com/_ns_news/default.asp?news_id=375

Samuel Sanchez – Rouleur Combativity Award
Euskaltel Euskadi

“Today the stage was very, very hard and I am training for the Worlds so my job in this stage is for my team mate. He won the stage and I am very, very happy for him.

“He is my friend, in another race he has worked for me and today I worked for him.

“The Tour is incredible. More people, beautiful mountains. I live in the north of Spain and it is very similar to England. Very similar.”

Mountains! If only!

Tried to download today's stage 8 pdf profile and it 'hanged' my computer three times. Not sure what's going on there but I assume it's flat enough for JTL to keep with any GC threats and there are 3 sprints as usual. I'd like to see the run-in though.

I think Carlton Kirby is great but he should have recognised Leopold Koenig as the rider breaking out of the GC group to take fifth. He only won a stage the day before. He even called it as a United Health Care rider despite those big N's on the jersey.

Today will be really tight for the Eurosport coverage with the Tour of Britain being squeezed in on Eurosport International after the Men's Team Time Trial at the World's. Eurosport claim they will broadcast both live but I think they'll have to go with a recorded version of the Tour of Britain. Shame really, I might have prioritised that over the team time trial.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
wirral said:
I think Carlton Kirby is great but he should have recognised Leopold Koenig as the rider breaking out of the GC group to take fifth. He only won a stage the day before. He even called it as a United Health Care rider despite those big N's on the jersey.

Today will be really tight for the Eurosport coverage with the Tour of Britain being squeezed in on Eurosport International after the Men's Team Time Trial at the World's. Eurosport claim they will broadcast both live but I think they'll have to go with a recorded version of the Tour of Britain. Shame really, I might have prioritised that over the team time trial.

That was Graham Jones who made that mistake.Agree with you about the worlds TTT.It seems that most squads don't have their A team.

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
Good job it Didn't Rain Yesterday... All those Narrow Lanes and Thorns out there... Its a September thing in the Uk.. Cutting the Hedges. Would of been a Nightmare if it had been a Puncture Fest Stage, to Service the Riders. Great Shots of the Coast though on the Run in.The Tourist Board will be Happy About That.

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Frustratingly, I booked a family camping trip this weekend, about 2 days before they announced the route. So I've just travelled through Reigate and Guildford on the train without seeing any of the race.

But the train was full of fans, and I got talking to a 70-year-old Basque from Bilbao who'd come over just to watch Euskaltel race. Then he's off to the CTC headquarters in Guildford tomorrow for something or other, I couldn't quite understand.

Much respect to him! Still riding plenty, he looked in great shape. Hope I'm still doing that in 30 years time :)

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I wonder what it's like to be world champion and be distanced on what are in reality quite modest climbs by youth team riders. Don't imagine van Looy or Maertens in the same position do you?

Derrick said:
I wonder what it's like to be world champion and be distanced on what are in reality quite modest climbs by youth team riders. Don't imagine van Looy or Maertens in the same position do you?
That's what you get when you don't include climbs in a Worlds course. Don't blame Cav.

He is the best sprinter in the World, he won the sprinters Worlds.

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't blame Cav for winning "the sprinters worlds" at all but my point was van Looy and Maertens were sprinters too but I don't believe they would have been so humiliated. That's if Cav. ever feels humiliation.

TRENDING THREADS