• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour of Oman (14th - 19th of February), 2.HC

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Sagan is still not a climber. He won't do anything in the ardennes classics either. Maybe the Amstel Gold Race if they race very softly
Karsten Kroon or Nick Nuyens aren't climbers either. Yet they usually do pretty well in the AGR. It's an interval race, Sagan should be pretty good at that. Don't know if he can handle the distance though.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Karsten Kroon or Nick Nuyens aren't climbers either. Yet they usually do pretty well in the AGR. It's an interval race, Sagan should be pretty good at that. Don't know if he can handle the distance though.

I think we'll only see him in San Remo and G-W this year.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah! Velits!!!! Tomorrows a flat stage right? Not really any opportunity for Nibali to gain back time on Velits. Anyway Velits is a better sprinter, so if there are time bonuses I cant see Nibbles beating Velits. Are there any videos of the stage yet?d

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
So velitis looks like he's going to win the overall, good tour of oman for slovakia then sagan getting a stage win and a 2nd place too hats off to them..

Sagan is slovakian isnt he, I always get people mixed up with czechs and slovaks

Velits admitted afterwards that he regretted not trying to shut down Nibali’s second attack immediately. “It was not a really hard attack, he just went a little bit faster, but nobody reacted,” he said. “I didn’t react and maybe I underestimated him a little bit, but he got the gap and he held it to the finish.”

Sandy Casar was of a similar opinion, although he was expecting Tom Jelte Slagter (Rabobank) to be more active in the defence of his red jersey chances. “I thought that others like Slagter would go after him first, but in the end he was a bit switched off and went too late,” Casar said afterwards.
Is it a good thing for a Vuelta winner to win because his rivals underestimated him? Maybe they've read the Cyclingnews forum a bit too often ;)

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
palmerq said:
So velitis looks like he's going to win the overall, good tour of oman for slovakia then sagan getting a stage win and a 2nd place too hats off to them..

Sagan is slovakian isnt he, I always get people mixed up with czechs and slovaks

Ya, Slovak. BTW: Be lucky you dont happen to confuse Slovaks with Hungarian, otherwise somebody out there could be going at risk to be stoned :D

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Hold on. What the **** happened to Boonen. He won everything in Qatar and now can't even place in the top 5. I know he said he would lead out steegmans, but I have yet to see any kind of leadout from them yet. You would think he would want to take advantage of his good form.

El Pistolero said:
When did he stop riding at this level?

never i would say. . .

gooner said:
Well he was getting dropped very easily in the Vuelta when the big attacks came. Just look at the stage to Covatilla for an example of this. Also recently in San Luis he wasnt in the mix with Contador and Leipheimer on the climbs.

he messed up his peak. . . it happens to every1 even to the best from time to time. doesn't mean he dropped his level, 2 or 3 weeks later and he was arguably the strongest on the GdL and only reason why he didn't won was because he had another one of his occasional tactical brain farts, and raced extremely stupidly.