• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour of Qatar (5th - 10th February), 2.HC

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Kvinto said:
To be fair apart from one Tour stage last year i haven't seen Greipel succeeding in big events either

For the next tier of sprinters volume is a reasonable measure. Goss's win volume is just a long way short of Andrei & Marcel for 2.

I don't think there is a rider quicker than Goss who is also stronger than him, so he's a very good rider who will find chances to win, but I'm not yet convinced there's too much evidence for him being one of the top top sprinters on a pan-flatstage.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
For the next tier of sprinters volume is a reasonable measure. Goss's win volume is just a long way short of Andrei & Marcel for 2.

I don't think there is a rider quicker than Goss who is also stronger than him, so he's a very good rider who will find chances to win, but I'm not yet convinced there's too much evidence for him being one of the top top sprinters on a pan-flatstage.

I'm not trying to raise Gossie to the rank of Cav's biggest rival or so but i try to compare him to Graipel and I'm not convinced that Andre is a better sprinter...

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Kvinto said:
To be fair apart from one Tour stage last year i haven't seen Greipel succeeding in big events either

He has won stages in all Grand Tours and the points jersey in the Vuelta. Also has a bronze medal at the Worlds.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
He has won stages in all Grand Tours and the points jersey in the Vuelta. Also has a bronze medal at the Worlds.

I know his results but don't see the impressiveness in them. Especially Giro 2010 - you see a GT stage win, i see the failure and disappointment through the race. On the other hand Goss has often ridden the same races as Cav but to be honest I still think even being old Petacchi beats them both.

EDIT: just in case: 'beats them both' means Goss and Greipel (not Cavendish)

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Other than getting talked up by Cav after some vuelta lead-outs, I'm never really sure what Goss has done to deserve his sprinting reputation.

In MSR he was the only sprinter present. At the worlds the 'hill' made it very much suit him as sprints go.

Where the reputation on a pure flat gallop comes from, other than Cav praising him, I'm not sure.

How many sprints did Greipel clean up at last year??? Goss was trying to peak for the main events and was either working for Cav or losing to Cav.

Goss is younger than Cav and Greipel. Goss' win at the Giro in 2010 was super impressive as well.

greenedge said:
How many sprints did Greipel clean up at last year??? Goss was trying to peak for the main events and was either working for Cav or losing to Cav.

Goss is younger than Cav and Greipel. Goss' win at the Giro in 2010 was super impressive as well.
That was an uphill sprint though, Pozzato was 2nd...