• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 USA Pro Cycling Challenge, Stage 3, Gunnision to Aspen, 207 kms.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
2012 USA Pro Cycling Challenge, Stage 3, Gunnision to Aspen, 207 kms.

UPC-2012-Stage-3-Profile.pdf

Considered the queen stage. Two long ascents; starting with another gradual uphill from the start to the 14-mile dirt road climb of Cottonwood Pass topping out at 4000 meters and Independence Pass also topping out at just over the 4000 meter mark. Some 45 kms separate the the two climbs as the race turns north along the Arkansas River. The major selection on this stage came on the Independence Pass. There is a chance for regrouping on the long descent into Aspen, but a technical section just before the town allowed George Hincapie and current race leader Tejay Van Garderen to escape putting 45 seconds into a group containing Levi Leipheimer and Cadel Evans last year in wet weather.

http://radioshacktourtracker.usaprocyclingchallenge.com/ Live Streaming

Start time for Stage 3; 10:10 am MST, 12:10 EST

This would have been the perfect stage for Nibali to get into a breakaway. Not that he won't :D but would be too tired to win the stage. Hopefully Bettini's methods work for him...

BillytheKid said:
65_al_12_682x400_1348965a.jpg

Police have annouced Euro-fan imitators will not be tolerated on today's stage.;)
Alberto hitting with the strength of a bull. ;)

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
Tejay to double it up! and confirm his overall victory!

Spoken like a true Prophet.

Garmin might make it interesting though.

I wish they would get their start times straight, Tour Tracker now saying 10:10 am MST

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
One good thing about the TourTracker coverage is that it from the start. Today's stage may differ, but the attacking during the first 30 minutes yesterday had groups all over the road before things settled down.

Looks like I'll be lucky to catch the tail-end today. Fire at will.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
One good thing about the TourTracker coverage is that it from the start. Today's stage may differ, but the attacking during the first 30 minutes yesterday had groups all over the road before things settled down.

Looks like I'll be lucky to catch the tail-end today. Fire at will.

Watched women's exergy tour on the tracker....
Was an attack and major crash right on the startline :D

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
They had this stage last year too right?

I remember I stayed up late too watch this, and then it was extremely disappointing and they had poor coverage.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
they could have shortened the stage today to have it finish ontop of Independence pass for a MTF. Since tomorrow's stage starts in Aspen anyway, Aspen would have got it's coverage. It's the only city to host both a start and a finish on different days in this year's race. I would have loved to see a MTF ontop of Indy Pass.

theyoungest said:
Yeah, it's the only queen stage in the world where you can't make any difference at all (except in the wet descent, does it rain today?)

It's unfortunate, because it very much looks like it ought to be a good stage, but it hasn't been.

Ultimately, though, you can only blame the organizers so much for boring stages. Even the best designed stage can be a dud if nobody in the peloton feels much like making it exciting that day.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Gotta say I am a little disappointed to not see Nibali in the break again, on the other hand how awesome is Dave Zabriskie :D

TRENDING THREADS