• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 USA Pro Cycling Challenge

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
are any of the climbs steep because last year was a disaster

ya know, I spent a lot of time this past summer trying to bring our fellow forum members local insight (including better maps and profiles than the official site provided) and I just burnt out on the last stage from all the gratuitous negativity that a few here felt compelled to constantly offer.

I hope the 2012 edition of the USAPCC is better than 2011, but the only folks that think that 2011 was a disaster are thankfully confined to internet cycling forums. 2012 will likely disappoint many of us in its lack of truly utilizing the roads available, but my home of Steamboat Springs nearly tripled in population (9,800 to 27,000) for a sprint finish and a stage departure.

Claiming disaster is ridiculous, and petty. That you dis-favor this race is fine - opinions differ - but you do not find me actively besmirching the Tour of Colombia.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
9000ft said:
Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines but closing Boulder Canyon might be tough. Of course if it's a descent there probably wouldn't be a lot of spectators and it would be over fairly quickly so the traffic disruption wouldn't be too long.

Watching this race roll through Steamboat last summer and talking with several State Patrol officers leads me to believe that the organizers have learned from Europe and adapted. Road closures were fairly seamless as nearly all were rolling. The biggest problem the officers told me was insuring that residence along side the route knew and abided by a temporary blockage as the actual race passed by (there were just as many local drivers coursing the road when the caravan rolled through). The most interesting aspect of my conversations with CSP was that on race day, things were cake due to all the proceeding efforts.

The guys I talked with were almost giddy at the prospects of guiding the Pro Peloton through our state.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
I wish it was funny but it wasn't. one of the most disapointing races of the season.

In terms of the route that the terrain offers, versus the route that we got, I'd agree.

Imagine a TdF with barely any mountain top finishes....wait.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
will10 said:
In terms of the route that the terrain offers, versus the route that we got, I'd agree.

also against the route which we were lead to believe. big mountains that were a joke.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
The race wasn't too exciting but watching it and kind of "mocking" the toughness of the race with the other forum members made it fun to watch. I guess it MUST have been the same when you were standing next to the road the people you are with make it awesome. But if it had a "proper" 6%+ MTF it wouldve been even better.

Plus the intros & photos by Deagol, Benpounder (and others) made the race more interesting too.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
benpounder said:
If I were organizing this race, this is the route I would try and secure for stage 6 (Golden to Boulder):

6517533323_2fd4a4a9cc_b.jpg

The profile looks like this:

6517533447_dd776e3576_b.jpg

The major climbs are Golden Gate Canyon, Old Stage Road and Left Hand Canyon with a MTF on Flagstaff: 215km with 3959m of climbing.

:eek:

The altitude would be a real killer.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
benpounder said:
Watching this race roll through Steamboat last summer and talking with several State Patrol officers leads me to believe that the organizers have learned from Europe and adapted. Road closures were fairly seamless as nearly all were rolling. The biggest problem the officers told me was insuring that residence along side the route knew and abided by a temporary blockage as the actual race passed by (there were just as many local drivers coursing the road when the caravan rolled through). The most interesting aspect of my conversations with CSP was that on race day, things were cake due to all the proceeding efforts.

The guys I talked with were almost giddy at the prospects of guiding the Pro Peloton through our state.

I also talked to a few CSP guys and they all seemed to have a pretty good attitude and felt that for a first year event it was well organized and traffic headaches were minimal. Maybe Boulder Canyon would be all right. Like I said, I had pretty much the same route in mind as shown on your map. That would be a world class stage.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
:eek:

The altitude would be a real killer.

Quite a bit lower than the high country stages and not much different from some of the TDF and Giro mtn stages. After going over 11,000 and 12,000' passes earlier in the week all those lowlander Euro guys will be thinking they are at sea level. ;)

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
will10 said:

Of course it's not the TDF or the Giro, nothing is. Duh

The big races in Europe have histories going back decades - some almost a century. With the USPCC you're talking about a first year race in a country that doesn't have nearly the cycling culture as Europe does. In the big races in Europe, communities practically cut each others throats to host stages or one day events on their roads and through their towns. There isn't nearly the same tradition in the US where bike racing is a little known and fringe sport. Even Colorado, which is one of the top cycling states in the US doesn't compare.

There's a lot more to pulling off a race like this than just drawing lines on a map that you think will make the most gnarly, manly, kick a$$ stages, especially when it's a first year event.

I'm was actually surprised and pleased that the race was so well received by whole communities, not just bike racing fans. The crowds were enormous. That it has developed some momentum and has communities competing for stages bodes well for it's future. If it continues on the same trajectory I can see it adding a stage or three and having the clout to bump up some of the difficulty and be more creative with the routes, but you have to start somewhere. If the race is going to have any staying power it has to make business sense and I think they did a great job getting the support that they did.

I will say the TV coverage has a lot of room for improvement, that's for sure. :eek:

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Don't try telling the truth to 900ft. He doesn't like that.

LOL. A regular steaming pile, huh Bro? You're such a cheery and positive guy.

Hey like I said before, if you don't like it and it doesn't meet your pure and high standards don't watch and don't come. Do something else with your time. You won't be missed and it sounds like you'll be happier. A win win for everyone. :)

9000ft said:
Hey like I said before, if you don't like it and it doesn't meet your pure and high standards don't watch and don't come.

Last year's course of the USWSCOLTUFTCR (US Whatever Stupid Collection Of Letters They Use For The Colorado Race) didn't meet the high, or even low, standards of anyone who expected to see exciting or even decent racing. Sorry that the truth hurts, but as long as you are happy pretending that a borefest dominated by the most loathsome rider in the peloton was the height of high drama then don't let reality get in the way of your delusion.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Last year's course of the USWSCOLTUFTCR (US Whatever Stupid Collection Of Letters They Use For The Colorado Race) didn't meet the high, or even low, standards of anyone who expected to see exciting or even decent racing. Sorry that the truth hurts, but as long as you are happy pretending that a borefest dominated by the most loathsome rider in the peloton was the height of high drama then don't let reality get in the way of your delusion.

Well you have yourself a swell time doing whatever it is you do those days. I'm sure it will be very exciting and top notch. Just remember Bro - keep smiling and the world smiles with you! :)