• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Vuelta a España: Stage 1: Pamplona → Pamplona (TTT) (16.5km)

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2010
Visit site
The Quickstep riders are listed before the Rabobank riders, so Boom wouldn't have gotten the leaders jersey anyway.

3 of 4 Dutchmen on Garmin must have gone down in that crash.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
So last year they did this:
020-PIC216488361.jpg

But today no red for Cobo:confused:

Red only suits Nibali:p

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Too bad for Gasparotto, I think he had a chance for WC. Don't know who Italy can play out now? maybe pozatto, and nibali well yeah maybe.

Btw Navarro looked pretty good in the TTT.

Some decent riders/potential top 15-20 guys falling behind:

164 213 LAGUTIN, Sergey VCD + 2' 05''
178 39 ZEITS, Andrey AST + 2' 47''
179 38 TIRALONGO, Paolo AST + 2' 47''
183 96 LE MEVEL, Christophe GRS + 3' 05''
187 196 GENIEZ, Alexandre ARG + 3' 18''
189 81 JEANNESSON, Arnold FDJ + 3' 24''
197 92 DEKKER, Thomas GRS + 4' 31''

Waterloo Sunrise said:
All 3 Sky drop offs finished together.

Does suggest a rather strange rapid drop from 9 to 6.

It's first 5 over the line - if they were reasonably confident of getting 6 together to the finish line (as they did) then a risk worth taking perhaps? Why have 3 domestiques waste energy they might need later? Besides, it seems virtually every team's dropped riders finished together.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
togo95 said:
From Štybar's twitter: Because of bad luck we could do better as 3th today. Police motorbikes send us in wrong direction:(

Uh, what a bunch of amateurs. Probably cost Terpstra the red jersey.

Like I said, this TTT was decided by how many Spaniards you have in a team. :eek:

Red Rick said:
The award for best opening of a GT this year definately goes to La Vuelta
It was very scenic for sure. The last kilometre was brilliant, very difficult.
Fidolix said:
Saxo 2 seconds faster than Sky on the second half :eek:
Seems to me Sky had no interest in winning this, it´s to early for a red jersey.

Or maybe after losing men early they didn't have enough left for the climb at the end? Movistar had 7 guys there still, Sky just 5 or 6. It was very technical and riders were losing contact. I was confused at Froome being in last position there where he might be unhinged by a teammate struggling to keep contact.

It seems that last climb up into the city (while not the hardest route they could have chosen) was tougher than some teams expected.

There is also that it was 42-43º when the first teams went and down to about 37-38º when the last teams went, according to the display in the corner of Plaza del Castillo. That could certainly have been a factor.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
search said:
I doubt he had crossed the line first with Martin still there

Doesn't really matter who it is. It's a lost opportunity.

Didn't the same happen in the Giro with Phinney? I also remember Philippe Gilbert losing the Grand Prix d'Ouverture La Marseillaise once because they sent him the wrong way when he was leading the race and sure to win.

El Pistolero said:
Doesn't really matter who it is. It's a lost opportunity.

Didn't the same happen in the Giro with Phinney? I also remember Philippe Gilbert losing the Grand Prix d'Ouverture La Marseillaise once because they sent him the wrong way when he was leading the race and sure to win.
2005. Gent-Wevelgem. Juan Antonio Flecha. Nico Mattan.

Messed up stuff happens everywhere.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
2005. Gent-Wevelgem. Juan Antonio Flecha. Nico Mattan.

Messed up stuff happens everywhere.

As long as Flecha gets his money he's happy. ;)

But yeah, that was also ****ed up.

Although I do enjoy his little digs towards Gent-Wevelgem and him favoring Omloop het Nieuwsblad in interviews.

Did not say(or imply) this only happens in Spain by the way.

hrotha said:
Some decent riders/potential top 15-20 guys falling behind:

164 213 LAGUTIN, Sergey VCD + 2' 05''
178 39 ZEITS, Andrey AST + 2' 47''
179 38 TIRALONGO, Paolo AST + 2' 47''
183 96 LE MEVEL, Christophe GRS + 3' 05''
187 196 GENIEZ, Alexandre ARG + 3' 18''
189 81 JEANNESSON, Arnold FDJ + 3' 24''
197 92 DEKKER, Thomas GRS + 4' 31''

At least Jeannesson didn't get anyone's hopes up by hanging in there for a few stages. Hopefully he can find a bit of form by the third week and have a go at some of the mountain stages, although I'm not holding my breath.

TRENDING THREADS