• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro D'Italia, Stage 5: Cosenza - Matera 203km

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
STAGE5: Cosenza - Matera 203 kms

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_planimetria_05.jpg

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_05.jpg

Technical overview:
203 kms, most of which along a windy coast and with a hilly finale. A stage not to be underestimated. These are the
final kms:

matera.jpg

The wall of Montescaglioso is 3 kms long at over 8% average, with some steeper sections. The final drag to Matera is
approximately 6 kms at 4.5%, with the last 5 kms of false flats. I don't see any sprinter surviving this. Stage hunters
will be pleased with this first week of the Giro...

What to expect:
This is perfect for second tiers, and maybe a small breakaway will take this. In any case there won't be a massive sprint
so everyone has chances.

PROPS TO ESHNAR

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Felline to take it, or Ventoso if he hangs with the front group. Di Luca to make another attempt to kill everyone just for the hell of it.

jens_attacks said:
killer will try again.
if he won't find a good rider to go with, i think again he will be caught

i'd like pirazzi to somehow manage to win too or felline and betancur

Tira dropped while smiling just before they got over the top of the climb today saving himself, perhpas want to try something himself one of the next few days before going into domestique mode for Nibali, perhaps he will join Il Killre in a awesome attack :cool:

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Similar result to the previous stage IMO. Battaglin might even double up if he's feeling good. There should be a move on the wall which the sprinters can't follow: I believe the OP.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
John Degenkolb could win it..it's right up his alley.

# Why is Google suggesting DeGeneres instead of Degenkolb?

I know, even if she gets over the climb, she'll get dusted in the sprint.

May 4, 2013
Visit site
If the teams of sprinters could control the race on the short ramps, then the victory is possible for Goss or Steegmans.
If there is a selection, then one guy of Vini Fantini.