2013 Giro d'Italia Stage 7: San Salvo - Pescara 177km

Page 45 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Magnus said:
All I'm saying is:
Given that Uran and Henao was in the same group as Wiggins just before he crashed and that they (almost) finished in that group, it would have been stupid to not have them get Wiggins back to that group.
That's wrong since Sir Wiggo has been clearly bluffing until he was totally exposed today, and Sky, as a team, needed to have one of the Colombians in the front to save the Giro.
 
Apr 8, 2010
1,257
0
0
cineteq said:
That's wrong since Sir Wiggo has been clearly bluffing until he was totally exposed today, and Sky, as a team, needed to have one of the Colombians in the front to save the Giro.
No it's not wrong. You see the first part of my post? "Given that..." It's called a premise.

You might say that Sky was wrong about having Wiggins as unique team leader going in to this giro (or this stage), but that's not another matter and not one I in any way address in my post.
 
Magnus said:
No it's not wrong. You see the first part of my post? "Given that..." It's called a premise.

You might say that Sky was wrong about having Wiggins as unique team leader going in to this giro (or this stage), but that's not another matter and not one I in any way address in my post.
Are you asking if it was their decision to drop back to Wiggo? If so, the answer is NO, at least for sure on Uran.
 
Well, I spend an quarter hour to write an article in the Froome thread to defend his behaviour. Now it seems Bradley himself gave the best arguments to support Froome's ponit of view. Even Lance would've given Levi his okay to stay in the first group. But Wiggins forced both Colombians to be his slaves. Pathetic. Also Sky obviously didn't learn from past faults - Vuelta 2011.
 
cineteq said:
That's wrong since Sir Wiggo has been clearly bluffing until he was totally exposed today, and Sky, as a team, needed to have one of the Colombians in the front to save the Giro.
Just having watched the highlights, I would agree with this. Henao looking round early with BW nowhere in sight got my initial attention. Really not sure what is going on here with Sky but it doesn't look good. And just to add, calling back both of the guys was just dumb. Plain dumb.
 
ferryman said:
Just having watched the highlights, I would agree with this. Henao looking round early with BW nowhere in sight got my initial attention. Really not sure what is going on here with Sky but it doesn't look good. And just to add, calling back both of the guys was just dumb. Plain dumb.
Unless Sky wanted win the Giro or nothing as this poster claims:
Richeypen said:
My point being that Sky dont care about the podium, its win or nothing. They have one rider who can possibly win it and are doing everything to back him. I dont have a problem with that. They have no plan B because they dont have another rider there who can win.
Sky = Coup d'Etat against cycling. :(
 

iZnoGouD

BANNED
Feb 18, 2011
1,325
0
0
Where are the people that said this stage would be a non factor?
And the ones who said that GC riders should save energy here?

LULZ
 
Jul 21, 2012
9,860
1
0
iZnoGouD said:
Where are the people that said this stage would be a non factor?
And the ones who said that GC riders should save energy here?

LULZ
it would have been a non factor without the rain
 
Cramps said:
OK, quick estimate to get a feel for Wiggins task.

IS WIGGINS DOOMED?

Let's say he can do the TT 2kph faster than Nibali.
Let's say Nibali can do the 55 km TT in something like an average speed of 45 kph.

In that case, Wiggins would gain about 3 minutes on him.
Even if Wiggins is 1 kph faster than Nibali, he gains over 1' 30".

Granted Wiggins isn't in top form, but I would think much too early to write him off.
Yep, Wiggins still has as good a chance as anyone. All he needs from the tts is a 1 second advantage. 1 second, and if he has tour 2012 form nibali simply is not a good enough climber to distance him, let alone him with a train. Neither is Hejsedal. Gesink after crashes almost certainly not either.

If hes not on 2012 form though it will be more difficult.
 
staubsauger said:
Well, I spend an quarter hour to write an article in the Froome thread to defend his behaviour. Now it seems Bradley himself gave the best arguments to support Froome's ponit of view. Even Lance would've given Levi his okay to stay in the first group. But Wiggins forced both Colombians to be his slaves. Pathetic. Also Sky obviously didn't learn from past faults - Vuelta 2011.
It's more that BOTH went back that is galling, because it leaves the other teams under no illusions what Sky's plan is, and neuters the duo as plan B options if Wiggins falters further. Tactically it would have made more sense to make one domestique and the other stay up front. Sure, the call could be wrong (remembering Movistar sending Intxausti back for Valverde on Valdezcaray when Sky proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are humongous hypocrites, leaving Cobo in the lead group) but Urán or Henao are good enough to be competitive enough in the mountains that they can attack and others will need to chase, giving Sky an alternative tactic to the "set up train, bludgeon everyone riding at 5,99W/kg" method. When Valverde got caught up behind a split in Cantabria in 2008, Caisse had three or four guys in the front group. They sent everybody back to assist Valverde... except Purito. He was high enough on GC that he got to ride his own race for once.
The Hitch said:
****ing Menchoff and Basso won it. For wiggins this was very similar to Basso Moltancino actually. Crash, then have domestique constantly drop back to help you.
Similar indeed, only Basso lost even more time. Of course that also factored in that the domestique constantly dropping back to help was a GT contender in his own right!
 
Jun 18, 2012
181
0
0
iZnoGouD said:
Where are the people that said this stage would be a non factor?
And the ones who said that GC riders should save energy here?

LULZ
Without the rain, I don't think this stage would have factored in GC at all. But it sure changed the complexion of the race!
 
Libertine Seguros said:
It's more that BOTH went back that is galling, because it leaves the other teams under no illusions what Sky's plan is, and neuters the duo as plan B options if Wiggins falters further. Tactically it would have made more sense to make one domestique and the other stay up front. Sure, the call could be wrong (remembering Movistar sending Intxausti back for Valverde on Valdezcaray when Sky proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are humongous hypocrites, leaving Cobo in the lead group) but Urán or Henao are good enough to be competitive enough in the mountains that they can attack and others will need to chase, giving Sky an alternative tactic to the "set up train, bludgeon everyone riding at 5,99W/kg" method. When Valverde got caught up behind a split in Cantabria in 2008, Caisse had three or four guys in the front group. They sent everybody back to assist Valverde... except Purito. He was high enough on GC that he got to ride his own race for once.


Similar indeed, only Basso lost even more time. Of course that also factored in that the domestique constantly dropping back to help was a GT contender in his own right!
What as the point of trying to pace a guy riding at 15km per hour? Wasn't like there was a slipstream at that speed!
 
Aug 13, 2010
3,317
0
0
The Hitch said:
Yep, Wiggins still has as good a chance as anyone. All he needs from the tts is a 1 second advantage. 1 second, and if he has tour 2012 form nibali simply is not a good enough climber to distance him, let alone him with a train. Neither is Hejsedal. Gesink after crashes almost certainly not either.

If hes not on 2012 form though it will be more difficult.
I think it shows Mick Rogers worth to Sky. I am guessing if he was riding the Giro then Wiggins would have had someone to position him (and Sky) in the pack and keep him (them) out of trouble.
 
The Hitch said:
Cant read through the whole thread but did Aquarone make a tweet about how difficult the course was and guaranteeing never to make such a hard stage again? Or not yet?
Not posted here in the thread if he has done so. But wouldn't it be easier to just check his twitter?
 
Don't be late Pedro said:
I think it shows Mick Rogers worth to Sky. I am guessing if he was riding the Giro then Wiggins would have had someone to position him (and Sky) in the pack and keep him (them) out of trouble.
sometimes you can't have it all. he kept his lips shut, they had to let him go.
we'll see him back for Bertie, in Dauphiné and Tour
 
Netserk said:
Worth mentioning the Nibali wore Pink when he dropped back to Basso. If Liquigas wanted, Nibali could have won the Giro that year.
I thought that both got initially distanced because of a crash.

Although Nibali would have probably ended up somewhere with Scarponi had he been allowed to do his race.
 
Apr 8, 2010
1,257
0
0
thehog said:
What as the point of trying to pace a guy riding at 15km per hour? Wasn't like there was a slipstream at that speed!
The point is they brought Wiggins back to the Paolini group.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY