• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro d'Italia wildcards : Who would you like to see?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which teams would you invite at the next Giro d'Italia edition?

• Caja Rural

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Vini Fantini will be there I reckon. I don't think that Katusha will, unless Purito changes his mind and decides to go for the Giro. After that I'd say Colombia Coldeportes and maybe either IAMS or Netapp-Endura are the most likely and I reckon both could do a reasonable job of animating the race. Europcar? No, don't see Voekler or Rolland showing up which is what it'd take.

Di Luca? Yawn.

pastronef said:
the only solution (for the future) is that some World Tour teams are allowed to choose which races they want to ride. so maybe we see FDJ and Argos pass off the Giro and we have place for the little Pro continental teams.

With the current World Tour system where the points the team score is the main factor in deciding World Tour status ( Unless you fall out with the UCI ofc:D,)it wont happen.
All World Tour teams will ride all WT races (at least until they are safe for next year)
The only solution is to reduce the no of WT teams.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
pastronef said:
the only solution (for the future) is that some World Tour teams are allowed to choose which races they want to ride. so maybe we see FDJ and Argos pass off the Giro and we have place for the little Pro continental teams.

no wt team would pass up to ride any gt. even if they come with a C squad. it is always experience to the riders. so thay would be a stupid solution

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
aarononymous said:
I thought he was at the Tour presentation? Or was it both? Definately need to see them in a WT race this year...

they were invited to both and have a good chance to ride both gt's. although now with katusha, who knows

Exactly, so Acqua, what are you waiting for? :eek:

"Acquarone and the other RCS Sport representatives, however, may just forget Katusha all together because either way, Rodríguez will skip the Giro. “Purito” said last month that he would focus on the Tour de France this year and that if Katusha were to fail in its appeal for a first division license, he would join another team to ensure his place in the race."

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013...s-problem-for-giros-wildcard-selection_270609

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
it would be beyond stupid if rcs gave katusha the wildcard. but katusha probably will swing a lot of money their direction to get it. menchov is done anyway

Ryo Hazuki said:
not in since 1994 or something. I doubt they will allow that and they shouldn't f*** rcs

generally, according to the regulations, it is possible for a national team of the organising country to participate in a world tour race if it is considered to be of strategic importance to the development of cycling by the Professional Cycling Council

so if it had happened last year Betancur for example would have not been eligable to be part of that team, but this year Colnago and ISD would propably be more or less all italian anyway

Eshnar said:
you mean the (uphilly) Vuelta (don't really know if I just invented a new word but certainly mountainous doesn't fit) ;)

Yeah you're right. Uphilly sounds better :D

But with the lack of time trailing the Vuelta normally should be the grand tour which suits the abilities of the Colombian riders the most and Chaves already peaked good in last years autumn.

Although I doubt their rooster will be strong enough to ride a good Vuelta if the've already ridden Giro & Tour.

But Ryo should know better than me.

I would like for it to be
Vini Fantini
Bardiani
Colombia-Coldportes.

IAM would be nice but i can only see them getting stages. Europcar would also be great but i think Rolland has a great chance to go well at the TDF this year. The same with Katusha- JROD wants to ride the TDF, so there would be no real advantage in sending a team with Menchov.

TRENDING THREADS