• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Predictions.

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Afrank said:
It's faded in the last few years but I wouldn't say it has gone away completely. Thor had a great later season but he sucked at his biggest goal, Roubaix. And Cav had a good season winning a good number of races but his biggest goals, Olympics, MSR, and green jersey, he failed to win.

So, Phil will be the one to finally rid the peloton of it :D.

No no he won't, he can't I didn't pick him for my cq team :D

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Hushovd's 2011 Roubaix was probably his best ever. Matched every one of Cancellara's attacks except for the final surprise attack. But at that point he already knew Vansummeren, his teammate, had won the race. He didn't crash once or have a flat tire in that race if I remember correctly.

And Cavendish has failed at Milan-San Remo for 3 straight years now. Hardly a curse of the rainbow.

I wouldn’t say it was his best; all he really did was suck wheel on Cancellara and refuse to take a turn on the front. Sure he had a teammate up the road so there was no reason for him to contribute to the chase, but by not contributing he effectively eliminated his chances of winning the only race he cares about. His tactics were good, and he didn't have any problems, but IMHO he raced a cowardly race in 2011. As for Cav, MSR was still one of his goals. And we can still contribute not winning the Olympics and not getting green to the curse (I would add losing the points jersey to Purito at the Giro as well).
So like I said, we can still see signs of the curse, but not as much as we have seen in the past.

LaFlorecita said:
No no he won't, he can't I didn't pick him for my cq team :D

I'm counting on Phil to win the game for me :D.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
He lost the green jersey because he didn't have a team built around him and he lost the Olympics because he overestimated the strength of his own team. 4 men can't control an entire event without the help of others. That's just logic and has nothing to do with a curse lol.

What I call the rainbow curse is cyclists cracking under the pressure of the increased (media) attention. Or being marked more in the peloton. Or just a combination of all these factors.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
He lost the green jersey because he didn't have a team built around him and he lost the Olympics because he overestimated the strength of his own team. 4 men can't control an entire event without the help of others. That's just logic and has nothing to do with a curse lol.

What I call the rainbow curse is cyclists cracking under the pressure of the increased (media) attention. Or being marked more in the peloton. Or just a combination of all these factors.

Of course their are more defined reasons for why a race doesn't go according to plan (like the strength of the team or where the teams priorities lie), but whose to say a curse can't play a part in the team not being strong enough to deliver their guy to the win. I'm sure a more defined reason can be found for why Ballan didn't perform when he was WC. I think a curse can easily be seen as playing a role in why Cav did not win his biggest targets this season.

But then again, look what we are discussing here, a superstition :eek: :p.

El Pistolero said:

He lost the giro points jersey by a point having suffered 2 setbacks in crashes (neither his fault). Sounds to me.like a curse ;)

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

It's not just the pressure of media attention. I read an article on Gilbert a few weeks ago and he said that it was a lot more difficult for him to train since everybody recognizes him with the rainbow jersey and he gives interview almost every day.

Also, since the World champion is under such scrutiny, every bad moment for him will be exaggerated and linked to the curse, but every good moment will just seem normal.

Afrank said:
I wouldn’t say it was his best; all he really did was suck wheel on Cancellara and refuse to take a turn on the front. Sure he had a teammate up the road so there was no reason for him to contribute to the chase, but by not contributing he effectively eliminated his chances of winning the only race he cares about. His tactics were good, and he didn't have any problems, but IMHO he raced a cowardly race in 2011. As for Cav, MSR was still one of his goals. And we can still contribute not winning the Olympics and not getting green to the curse (I would add losing the points jersey to Purito at the Giro as well).
So like I said, we can still see signs of the curse, but not as much as we have seen in the past.

I'm counting on Phil to win the game for me :D.

Welcome to Hushovd....

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Fidolix said:
Cobo...looool
the doping era is hopefully over...

it's rather stupid to say cobo and doping in one sentence. it's best not to speak about that ever again, unless in the clinic :rolleyes: cobo has never even been suspected of doping and after 2008 tour, where ricco and piepoli were caught he even fell into a depresseion because of that. the man is mentally unstable but phsyically triple a talent

TRENDING THREADS