• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Road World Championships: Men's Road Race, Lucca-Firenze 272.2 km

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Libertine Seguros said:
I agree he won't win a Worlds, but why was it disgraceful by Valverde not to work when Rodríguez was off the front almost all the time on the final lap? In that case he has every right not to work. He'd probably have won if he'd have reacted quicker to Costa's move in the final corners. And yes, it would have been annoying had he won like that, but his teammate was attacking, so he is under no obligation to contribute to the chase.

Now, should he and Rodríguez have been taking it in turns to attack, rather than Purito doing all of the attacking? Certainly. But as soon as Rodríguez made a move, all responsibility to do work is lifted from Valverde.

This.
Disgraceful in the sense, he didn't cover Costa's move.

Libertine Seguros said:
I agree he won't win a Worlds, but why was it disgraceful by Valverde not to work when Rodríguez was off the front almost all the time on the final lap? In that case he has every right not to work. He'd probably have won if he'd have reacted quicker to Costa's move in the final corners. And yes, it would have been annoying had he won like that, but his teammate was attacking, so he is under no obligation to contribute to the chase.

Now, should he and Rodríguez have been taking it in turns to attack, rather than Purito doing all of the attacking? Certainly. But as soon as Rodríguez made a move, all responsibility to do work is lifted from Valverde.

Obviously, but no one understands why he didn't COVER that attack by Rui Costa.

Terrible to see Purito in tears...

webvan said:
Obviously, but no one understands why he didn't COVER that attack by Rui Costa.

Terrible to see Purito in tears...

They showed the replay. In the final 3 corners, Costa was in 1st, Nibali 2nd, Valverde 3rd. Costa attacked into the second corner, Valverde started to try to go round the outside of Nibali then thought better of it before the right hander. Maybe it was a bit too circumspect with what was on the line, but it was only really after the corner where he should have moved. Costa placed the move well to enable him to create a small gap, Valverde was slightly hampered by the corner.

Feel terrible for Purito since he would have been an absolutely deserving victor in the race, and quite possibly won't have another chance as he's advancing in age, and to have been so close again must hurt (for all the talk of Valverde's multiple podiums, Purito's now been 2nd twice).

TANK91 said:
Huh he was stupid yes, but the winner was the wheelsucker. Purito is Spanish, you know the same nation asValverde.:rolleyes:

I know, but seen in a historical context Valverde is by far the worst of the top riders when it comes to wheelsucking. I was also hoping for Nibali, but Costa is far better than Valverde.

Btw, Nibali lost this in the descent from Fiesole. Usually, he would have expanded the 5 sec gap he had on the top, but he was to careful and afraid in the descent. A real shame, Nibali deserved to win this.

I'm not a big Rui Costa fan but I can't see how he can be faulted for that win, he did what he had to do and played his cards well. He benefited from :
1. Nibali lost the wheel of Jrod, why ?!
2. Nibali on home soil was going to bury himself
3. Purito attacked one time too many, should have let VV go or NOT attack, VV was going to win a 4 man sprint
4. VV didn't cover his attack

Either of these doens't happen, he doesn't win!