• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Road World Championships - Under 23 Men's Road Race (172.79km)

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
shinoda13 said:
I was wondering if someone had won the juniors, u23 and elite titles in consecutive years. Mohoric for 2014! :D

No U23 champion has won the pro road championship yet, so no, but without looking it up, I'm quite confident even the junior-u23 combo is unprecendeted, let alone in consecutive years.

eta: unless I missed someone, Greg Lemond is the only one to win two out of the three (junior&pro) + Mohoric now with maybe plenty of chances for the latter to complete the combo. Although if you count the amateur category, there are probably many more.

Super Impressive by Mohoric! Didn't expect him to win in his first year in the U 23 ranks and he wasn't too visible in Avenir, but boy, he knows how to deliver on the big stage !
Surely winning u 18 and u 23 in consecutive years must be a record.

Hopefully he won't drop off in the pro's and fulfill his potential. He has all the tools to be the rider of his generation, Very good finisher, descender, climber, Time Trialist and according to his coach has V good recovery powers too.

Impressive ride by Ewan too. This guy will become the new Oscar Freire

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
hfer07 said:
Why on earth does he need to sign with Cannondale??? :mad:
He can surely go anywhere he pleases.... just not fare...

On the chance that Sagan goes to BMC as has been rumored for a while now, they'll need a replacement for him. ;)

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
spalco said:
No U23 champion has won the pro road championship yet, so no, but without looking it up, I'm quite confident even the junior-u23 combo is unprecendeted, let alone in consecutive years.

eta: unless I missed someone, Greg Lemond is the only one to win two out of the three (junior&pro) + Mohoric now with maybe plenty of chances for the latter to complete the combo. Although if you count the amateur category, there are probably many more.

Hushovd won the time trial championship as u23 but never the road, before he become road champion in 2010. I think it would be impossible to win the pro championship the consecutive year after a u23 win the level gap is to big for that. It takes some years of hard training to stay the distance with the pros.

Nice race, congrats to Mohoric and his team (who attacked quite a bit). Surprised that S.Yates did not win :)- he should have used Adam more to help him.

Ewan looked strong too (last climb), the distance was hard for him and he looked boxed in but he rode a great race. Howson looked very strong too, but he reacted to so many moves- Australia should have let him wait till the last two laps.

I just hope the coverage will be a lot better than this on Sunday. There was not even a single image from the favourites group after Via Salviati until a camera alongside the road took all riders in one shot in the long straight last 1,5k. Same on the Fiesole descent.

Most annoying was probably the motorbikes only focusing on the riders they were riding next/behind to, instead of looking back once in a while so we could actually see what was going on :rolleyes:

Two laps to go in the junior race.

Bunch (70 riders) + 1'00

gxOP9.jpg

TRENDING THREADS