• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Santos Tour Down Under: 20th Jan - 27th Jan

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
theyoungest said:
A little Googling gave me the following description of that climb:

Sounds like a proper wall. Slagter FTW! ;)
Woah, didn't realize it was that hard! That could take guys like EBH out of contention. Seems way harder than Willunga imo, but people might come back on the descent.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Wilba60 said:
Did find this article on the San Luis thread;
http://procyclingbet.com/fr/content/tour-de-san-luis-1

If it is accurate, it would seem like Howard won't be riding in South Australia.

Had forgotten that, I think I saw him in an interview saying he was going and hoping to clock up an early season win, so maybe swap in Docker. And given your weather update for the Jayco Tour maybe a big day of sitting in the bunch for day 1!!

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I can't wait for the Tour Down Under, the kick start to the season and a brilliant race in general. I'll be back on Twitter analyzing the races and providing advice on who the best bets are for the races ahead for the season. Last year I nominated Simon Gerrans for the win and had 3 stage wins so made a killing. This year, once again, the Aussie Champs will provide some key insights into who's in form but the stage wins should go Greipel's way again, at least early doors.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
How was it a walkover? Valverde was the strongest, he only lost the race because Gerrans snuck in before him on that Stirling finish.

maltiv said:
Winning the overall by 0 seconds is a walkover? :confused:

My comment was a bit hyperbolic. I think I was more so referring to the general Summer in Australia, where GreenEdge did quite well.

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Hard to make a case for most of the Europeans coming out for an overall win unless they trained through from the end of the 2012 season. The Astana boys look solid though....

May 28, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
But apart from Gerrans, which Aussie stands a chance? Matt Lloyd?

One of the Garmin riders perhaps? Haas, or Morton could do well on this course, and especially Dennis has a shot at the podium if he's got last year's form.

And Rogers/Porte ofc.

Pentacycle said:
One of the Garmin riders perhaps? Haas, or Morton could do well on this course, and especially Dennis has a shot at the podium if he's got last year's form.

And Rogers/Porte ofc.
Yeah, Morton maybe. Rohan Dennis doesn't strike me as a real climber, last year he was strong on Willunga but Corkscrew might be a bit too steep. I mean, in 2011 Bobridge was one of the strongest on Willunga but I wouldn't exactly consider him an overall favourite either.

I forgot about Rogers, Porte won't be there.

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Gerrans will be the man for me unless Clarke steps up this year. Find it hard to see how the Europeans will take it as seriously as the Aussies unless there's a point to prove but it's too far away from many of their main targets.

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Looking at last year's Willunga stage again, Eddy Bo Hagen rode really well when all eggs were put in the Rogers basket. It wouldn't be a surprise to see him climb better this year and the finish suits. I'd rate him as the biggest European danger. If Gilbert is bang on form in January, I'd be very surprised. But he's got the class.

wheelie1977 said:
Looking at last year's Willunga stage again, Eddy Bo Hagen rode really well when all eggs were put in the Rogers basket. It wouldn't be a surprise to see him climb better this year and the finish suits. I'd rate him as the biggest European danger. If Gilbert is bang on form in January, I'd be very surprised. But he's got the class.
He'll certainly be up there in Willunga, he's posted great test results in Mallorca. I heard he was the 2nd fastest up San Salvador for instance, only beaten by Dombrowski.

But he could fall out of contention on stage 2 as that last wall could be too steep for him if some of the in-form puncheurs/climbers attack early.

No Ewan

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/mor...546610185?sv=7193d3e8604b8ac63973ffe1b822c6f3

The 18-year-old will not be considered for national team UniSA-Australia - which is a wildcard entry in the TDU - because he is a first-year senior.

The hype surrounding Ewan continued this week when he beat some of Australia's top sprinters to win the opening stage of the Bay Cycling Classic in Geelong.

UniSA-Australia director Dave Sanders has no doubt Ewan would be up to the challenge of the TDU, but said selectors would not be tempted to throw him to the wolves.

"I'd love to have him and he'd be very competitive ... but a one-hour criterium is different to a 140km road stage and I accept that," Sanders said.

"I'm sure we'll see many years of him in that competition (WorldTour)."

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
the asian said:
What do Aussies think about the prospects of Cam Meyer? He's being touted as the next GC contender from Australia.

Only for stage races without climbs. He is not a great climber by any stretch of the imagination.

the asian said:
What do Aussies think about the prospects of Cam Meyer? He's being touted as the next GC contender from Australia.

The interesting part of this story would be to know if OGE are asking Cam to be a GC rider or if Cam is genuinely wanting to take on that role. He has all the flat and hilly road attributes to be amongst the best and he did climb well last year albeit on a pre season that was based on his Madison World Championship with Leigh Howard. Being a year older and more experienced, plus a pre season that is based on the road only, I think he will have a great year and may get some top 10's in intermediate GC's. It was good to see him still riding well at Vuelta after starting at the Aussie Champs in January, shows he has some genuine endurance.

We haven't heard anything of him this year which could be a very good sign. If not injured he could be doing some serious base training. I guess we will see where he is at during the Nationals in 2 weeks. He was strong in that race last year before going hunger flat and if he is going to have a GC year, I think he will be prominent at Bunniyong.

gustienordic said:
Only for stage races without climbs. He is not a great climber by any stretch of the imagination.

Was Wiggins a great climber when he left his track pursuiting and madisons? Cam is only 24 and there is no way of knowing how well he can climb till he gets a couple of years of base hills/mountains behind him. He did get 10th place at Tirreno last year when training predominantly for the World Madison Champs against some pretty handy climbers.

1 Vincenzo Nibali (ITA) Liquigas-Cannondale 29h 38' 08"
2 Chris Horner (USA) RadioShack-Nissan + 14"
3 Roman Kreuziger (CZE) Astana + 26"
4 Rinaldo Nocentini (ITA) Ag2r-La Mondiale + 53"
5 Johnny Hoogerland (NED) Vacansoleil-DCM + 1' 00"
6 Joaquim Rodríguez (ESP) Team Katusha + 1' 16"
7 Michele Scarponi (ITA) Lampre-ISD + 1' 16"
8 Wout Poels (NED) Vacansoleil-DCM + 1' 25"
9 Christophe Riblon (FRA) Ag2r-La Mondiale + 1' 31"
10 Cameron Meyer (AUS) GreenEDGE + 1' 33"

Wilba60 said:
Was Wiggins a great climber when he left his track pursuiting and madisons? Cam is only 24 and there is no way of knowing how well he can climb till he gets a couple of years of base hills/mountains behind him. He did get 10th place at Tirreno last year when training predominantly for the World Madison Champs against some pretty handy climbers.

1 Vincenzo Nibali (ITA) Liquigas-Cannondale 29h 38' 08"
2 Chris Horner (USA) RadioShack-Nissan + 14"
3 Roman Kreuziger (CZE) Astana + 26"
4 Rinaldo Nocentini (ITA) Ag2r-La Mondiale + 53"
5 Johnny Hoogerland (NED) Vacansoleil-DCM + 1' 00"
6 Joaquim Rodríguez (ESP) Team Katusha + 1' 16"
7 Michele Scarponi (ITA) Lampre-ISD + 1' 16"
8 Wout Poels (NED) Vacansoleil-DCM + 1' 25"
9 Christophe Riblon (FRA) Ag2r-La Mondiale + 1' 31"
10 Cameron Meyer (AUS) GreenEDGE + 1' 33"
That was indeed a pretty decent climbing result. As were one or two stages in the Vuelta, in the breakaway.

But the difference with Wiggins is that he isn't a super duper time trialist, nor can he lose 7 kgs to become a great climber. He's just okay. Also, he's 25.

theyoungest said:
That was indeed a pretty decent climbing result. As were one or two stages in the Vuelta, in the breakaway.

But the difference with Wiggins is that he isn't a super duper time trialist, nor can he lose 7 kgs to become a great climber. He's just okay. Also, he's 25.

Cameron Meyer (born 11 January 1988 in Viveash, Western Australia). He is still 24 for another week :)

I am not arguing that Meyer can be like Wiggins or a great GC rider but it is still way to early to call. My comparison to Wiggins was to show that at the same age they were in very similar situations. Wiggins came off the Olympics at 24, in his 25th year "he revealed his desire to compete in road cycling[28] and in April won the time trial on stage 2 of the Circuit de Lorraine,[29] then went on to win stage 8 of the Tour de l'Avenir in September.[30] Wiggins rode the 2005 Giro d'Italia, finishing 123rd overall.[31]"

Wilba60 said:
Cameron Meyer (born 11 January 1988 in Viveash, Western Australia). He is still 24 for another week :)

I am not arguing that Meyer can be like Wiggins or a great GC rider but it is still way to early to call. My comparison to Wiggins was to show that at the same age they were in very similar situations. Wiggins came off the Olympics at 24, in his 25th year "he revealed his desire to compete in road cycling[28] and in April won the time trial on stage 2 of the Circuit de Lorraine,[29] then went on to win stage 8 of the Tour de l'Avenir in September.[30] Wiggins rode the 2005 Giro d'Italia, finishing 123rd overall.[31]"

Yes, people forget that Wiggins was no overnight sensation. Far from it. Still Bobridge and the Meyers will have to start showing some progression in the next few years and they should. If they don't plenty of team directors will look a bit silly but that is sport. Sometimes the best young talents or potential talents don't go on with it as they get older.

TRENDING THREADS