• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Santos Tour Down Under: 20th Jan - 27th Jan

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
barmaher said:
Apologies if I have missed where this is discussed, there are a lot of Boonen-Cav-Degenkolb posts to wade through.

Have we got a list of GC contenders?

The ones I have are as follows:

Gerrans / Clarke
Hansen
EBH / Thomas
Haas
Sorensen
Who from Astana?
Who from Movistar?
De Gendt?
Who from OPQS?
De Kort?

I am sure I am missing more than a few.....

Lampre: Lloyd
Radioshck: Machado
Blanco: Kelderman/The Dutch Butcher

Movistar: Perhaps Rojas if in 2011 form.

barmaher said:
Apologies if I have missed where this is discussed, there are a lot of Boonen-Cav-Degenkolb posts to wade through.

Have we got a list of GC contenders?

The ones I have are as follows:

Gerrans / Clarke
Hansen
EBH / Thomas
Haas
Sorensen
Who from Astana?
Who from Movistar?
De Gendt?
Who from OPQS?
De Kort?

I am sure I am missing more than a few.....
Not just Haas from Garmin, they have a few more (Rohan Dennis, for instance). From Astana... Iglinskiy, I guess. From Movistar... maybe Visconti? OPQS have Velits.

Dazed and Confused said:
Lampre: Lloyd
Radioshck: Machado
Blanco: Bobridge
Bobridge is there for domestique duties. The two Dutch kids are their leaders.

So here is the list:

Gilbert
Gerrans / Clarke
Hansen
EBH / Thomas
Haas / Dennis
Sorensen
Iglinsky/Gasparotto
Visconti?
De Gendt?
Velits
De Kort?
Llloyd
Machado
Slagter/Kelderman?

I guess Gerrans and Gilbert would be favourites.

I think that Haas has a good chance, and I have a sneaky feeling that Geraint has a decent chance.

barmaher said:
So here is the list:

Gilbert
Gerrans / Clarke
Hansen
EBH / Thomas
Haas / Dennis
Sorensen
Iglinsky/Gasparotto
Visconti?
De Gendt?
Velits
De Kort?
Llloyd
Machado
Slagter/Kelderman?

I guess Gerrans and Gilbert would be favourites.

I think that Haas has a good chance, and I have a sneaky feeling that Geraint has a decent chance.
Has Geraint Thomas ever done anything impressive on a steep hill (like in stage 2) or on a hill-top finish? I don't think he has. Furthermore, he's not fast enough to get bonus seconds either, so I really don't see how he'd win this race.

maltiv said:
Has Geraint Thomas ever done anything impressive on a steep hill (like in stage 2) or on a hill-top finish? I don't think he has. Furthermore, he's not fast enough to get bonus seconds either, so I really don't see how he'd win this race.
He's just a reasonable climber with (reportedly) good form, he's not a bad bet for a top-5 or something. That hill on stage 2 is not the Mur de Huy.

lol durian rider. . . . it's beyond me how manages to put so much BS into a 6 minute time frame :eek:

from listening to him you would think he was better then most pros, australia is the place pros go to train all year round and that a pro cyclist diet only consisted of coca cola and good "spoty" bananas. . . .

:Facepalm:

the hill looks good tho, hopefully we will see some fireworks

Parrulo said:
lol durian rider. . . . it's beyond me how manages to put so much BS into a 6 minute time frame :eek:

from listening to him you would thought he was better then most pros, australia is the place pros go to train all year round and that a pro cyclist diet only consisted of coca cola and good "spoty" bananas. . . .

:Facepalm:

the hill looks good tho, hopefully we will see some fireworks

Does he really say Coca Cola is good? I thought he was a health freak...

Dazed and Confused said:
any profile involving some hills can potentially derail those two guys, especially Kittel if its hot and raced hard the entire distance.
Nah, it's the TDU, and it's the first real race day of the season. Graeme Brown has won TDU stages hillier than that one.

What seems hard at local club rides is usually fairly doable for the pro peloton.

Parrulo said:

from listening to him you would think he was better then most pros, australia is the place pros go to train all year round and that a pro cyclist diet only consisted of coca cola and good "spoty" bananas. . . .

s

OMG that vid was hillarious. " these are tour de france riders.i had a 160k in my legs and they had 50. You see the guys at the back were struggling so i had to go around them"

:D

Still, if its legit, one must say chapeau for keeping it up with the pros.

theyoungest said:
Nah, it's the TDU, and it's the first real race day of the season. Graeme Brown has won TDU stages hillier than that one.

What seems hard at local club rides is usually fairly doable for the pro peloton.

i.e, allow 2-3 neo pros up the road early, ride at below 40km/h for 100km, wheel the break in for a bunch sprint. 10 minutes of racing if we are lucky.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:

Thomas will not feature on Wilunga Hill. Give me a break, the guy is not a climber. More unreasonable Sky hype.

The video from Durianrider was hilarious. It was nice of the Movistar team to give him a bottle and let him ride with them.

maltiv said:

All his lead outs for EBH in the 2011 TDF were great, he gapped the other trains very quickly.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Official Startlist

TV Schedule (all times are AEDST/CET times where appropriate)
Down Under Classic - Channel 9 Highlights from 10:30pm to 12am
- LIVE Feed of this event will start at 7:30pm/9:30 on ninemsn.com.au

Stage 1 - 1pm -> 3:30pm/3am -> 5:30am on both GEM and ninemsn feed for those overseas.
- Highlights on Channel 9 from 11pm -12am

Stage 2 - 12:30pm -> 3pm/2:30am -> 5:00am on both GEM and ninemsn feed for those overseas
- Highlights on Channel 9 from 11pm - 12am

Stage 3 - 1pm -> 3:30pm/3am -> 5:30am on both GEM and ninemsn feed for those overseas.

Stage 4 - 1pm -> 3:30pm/3am -> 5:30am on both GEM and ninemsn feed for those overseas.

Stage 5 - 11:30am -> 4pm/1:30am -> 6:00am on both Channel 9 and the ninemsn feed.

Stage 6 - 1:30pm -> 4:30pm/3:30am -> 6:30am on both Channel 9 and the ninemsn feed

ALL STAGES ARE LIVE

TRENDING THREADS