• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Santos Tour Down Under: 20th Jan - 27th Jan

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tragic said:
Planning to be at stages 1,2,3 and 5. Weather looks pretty good.

Stage 1 likely a sprint finish, unless a large group gets away on Checkers Hill

Still think a strong climber/good descender can grab the lead on stage 2 (sorry Andy). (who could that be? Nibali, Valverde, Sanchez, Evans all not here, any ideas?)

Saw the Argos team training on the Stirling loop today - watch out for Will Clarke on Stage 3!
Is that the stage Clarke won last year? Of course things would have to pan out quite similar for him to win that stage ;)

Matthews would have been a sure bet for the win, but Greenedge decided in all their wisdom to leave him out.

maltiv said:
Probably, but most climbers would have to be quite far ahead of him over the top to not be caught on the descent. Unless it's Gilbert in front I think he should be able to catch up with everyone downhill.
Actually I don't think the climb looks that super hard on the video, maybe EBH will attack himself.

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
maltiv said:
Probably, but most climbers would have to be quite far ahead of him over the top to not be caught on the descent. Unless it's Gilbert in front I think he should be able to catch up with everyone downhill.

It's only the first half thats technical so you may be right.

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Actually I don't think the climb looks that super hard on the video, maybe EBH will attack himself.[/QUOTE]

The climb is one of the hardest in the Adelaide Hills, but admittedly short.

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Is that the stage Clarke won last year? Of course things would have to pan out quite similar for him to win that stage ;)

Matthews would have been a sure bet for the win, but Greenedge decided in all their wisdom to leave him out.

Actually I don't think the climb looks that super hard on the video, maybe EBH will attack himself.

It's one of the hardest climbs in the area, but short.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Rode stage 2 corkscrew climb today.. Tough little climb.. Especially in the wind.. But it's done in under 10 minutes, so not enough to be game breaking. Will take some casualties though.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:

The climb is rather difficult, especially the latter section according to some. An attacker with decent legs could get away and win.

theyoungest said:

Wouldn't rule it out, no one ever wants to chase on that circuit (especially teams with sprinters). Always seems left to Unzue's mob to try and make something happen.

Think this year though starting on a climb, hopefully it means a few bigger names trying to get into the break. A group of 10+ out front would cause real headaches.

UncleTupelo said:
hello all,

first post here.

looking forward to the start of the season & TDU.

I've been looking at the betting market

http://www.oddschecker.com//cycling/tour-down-under/winner

Gilbert @ 20/1 with Hills looks attractive :)

Thoughts on the betting anyone
On the link you posted Gilbert is 10/1 at best? Which is still quite a good bet imo.

I imagine the dutchies will put all their money on Slagter @ 66/1 :D

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
maltiv said:
On the link you posted Gilbert is 10/1 at best? Which is still quite a good bet imo.

I imagine the dutchies will put all their money on Slagter @ 66/1 :D

Hills now 5/1, all value spent.

20/1 was just plain wrong.

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Simon clarke is a good back up for Gerrans, I think he is in better form than Gerrans at the moment. The fact that green edge have hardly talked about him in this race is a bit of a hint for me . Also the fact the tab put him up at 100 -1 (thank you mr bookmaker :) ) and now he is 20 -1. Still great each way value

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
My pick for the overall is Peter Velits. Was very strong in Oman earlier last year and I think he should be able to do well on Wilunga and other stages to take the win. Has a strong sprint as well.

TRENDING THREADS